PDA

View Full Version : Import address book from MS Outlook to OutlookExpress

Colpol
25-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Have been using Outlook for some time but find it confusing and my wife prefers Express.I am unable to import the address book from Outlook to Express. Express wants a WAB file and Outlook doesn't seem to have one.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Colin

Gordon.
25-05-2003, 02:47 PM
http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6155-889249,00.html

Try the above link Col, I use Outlook 2000, off memory Outlook is pst files.

The above example uses Netscape as the demo to follow but if you followed the instructions and used I think the option instead to use txt files and then browse to where Outlook keeps it address book it might work.

The other way and I have just tried this using Outlook which has addresses in it that I don't have in Outlook Express, open the address book in Outlook, select the names you want to export, copy and then open the address book in Outlook Express and paste them in.

Colpol
25-05-2003, 03:19 PM
Thnks Gordon.
Checked the site. No help as Express will only look for *.wab files to import.
Tried your suggestion about Copy and paste. can copy from Outlook but paste is not an option in Express.
Did it in the end by exporting the Contacts folder as a .CSV then importing that into Express ass a folder not an address book file- Worked ok :-)
Cheers
Colin

IanJ
25-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Colpol, to do what you want to do you need to export Outlooks Contacts folder to a CSV file and then import the CSV file into OE

Try these steps:

Exporting Contacts
Click Import And Export on the File menu.
Click Export To A File, and then click Next.
Click the folder from which you want to export your contacts, and then click Next. By default, contacts are stored in the Contacts folder.
Click Comma Separated Values (DOS), and then click Next. A comma separated values (.csv) file is a text file that contains rows of data that are separated by commas.
In the Save Exported File As box, type the name of the file that you want to export, and then click Next.
Click Finish.
By default, the exported .csv file is saved in the Windows or Winnt folder.

Importing Contacts into Outlook Express
Perform one of the following steps, as applicable:
In Outlook Express 4.0 and 4.01, point to Import on the File menu, and then click Address Book.
In Outlook Express 5, point to Import on the File menu, and then click Other Address Book.
Click Text File (Comma Separated Values), and then click Next.
Locate and click the .csv file that you exported from Outlook and then click Next.
Map the text fields in the .csv file to the appropriate address book fields:
Click to select the check box of the text field that you want to map.
In the Change Mapping dialog box, click the appropriate address book field.
Click to select the Import This Field check box, and then click OK.
Click Finish.

Best of luck

Ian

whiskeytangofoxtrot
25-05-2003, 05:01 PM
Outlook Express:

File --> Import --> Other Address Book --> Microsoft Exchange Address Book