PDA

View Full Version : Stop internet for users

Alvin Alvrez
24-05-2003, 12:44 AM
Hi, having a problem with win xp pro at a school, want to stop students who log in as students from accessing the internet but allow teachers that login in under teachers (with password) access.
Can this be done?

Any help welcome

cyberchuck
24-05-2003, 08:04 AM
Could you tell us a little bit more about your network layout? Like how machines at the school access the internet, if there is a proxy server on the school's side, etc.
If you don't have a gateway/proxy server at your school then it wouldn't go amiss. Our school has ours setup so that students have internet connections which are monitored by Watchdog and internet access for us can be killed at any time. Whereas the staff have unlimited access to the internet.

You could always try content management in IE? Block all websites so that everything requires a password and then only teachers have that password? Or you could allow access to a small intranet website for the school or something like that? Problem is that other programs like KaZaA would still be able to access the internet. Also, a problem will arise with content managent if you get a student that's "too quick" and watches the password as it get's typed in, all the passwords on all the computers will have to be changed in comparison to a staff member just having to change their password.

CyberChuck

Chilling_Silently
24-05-2003, 09:17 AM
If you dont mind purchasing software, then I can highly recommend TinaSoft's EasyCafe

Designed really for CyberCafe's, but it works very well in school's too.

There's a free Trial version available for download, around 10 megs including server and clients I think.

Im pretty sure it'll let you do all that you're after.. and you can use the trial version to check it :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Alvin Alvrez
24-05-2003, 10:13 AM
The network is a peer to peer accessing the internet through a dialup router cn904 (router is dhcp). We have cybersitter as a content filter which is also able to stop all internet traffic, but I have tried this and it doesn't seem to stop anything. (I have emailed them about this also). I thought there must be something in winxp to allow powerusers access but dis-allow normal or limited users from accessing the internet..I've checked through the system policies but can't find anything that looks like it can do it.

Chilling_Silently
24-05-2003, 10:34 AM
What if you were to route all traffic through a proxy server, requiring authentication.. and then simply not put the password in for the students login?

cyberchuck
24-05-2003, 01:26 PM
You could let normal users not have privilages to access Internet Explorer and other internet related settings??

Alvin Alvrez
24-05-2003, 01:51 PM
Thats the one..how do I do that?..I've looked through the group policy, but can't really find any ting there to block it out