PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP and other programs compatibility

garyasta
23-05-2003, 09:58 PM
Hi
I have just installed Windows XP, a borrowed copy, which will not activate because of this. Tomorrow I will be getting a kosher copy. Will i be able to use the registration number from this and activate without having to uninstall the whole thing?

Another point; during setup. I was advised that a number of applications would not work with Windows XP, eg Norton Systemworks 2001. Is there any way of checking all my drivers and updating so that all will work wth XP?

Gary

stu140103
23-05-2003, 10:17 PM
> Hi
> I have just installed Windows XP, a borrowed copy,
> which will not activate because of this. Tomorrow I
> will be getting a kosher copy. Will i be able to use
> the registration number from this and activate
> without having to uninstall the whole thing?

I do not think you will be able to do that, I think if you want to use Win XP you will have to go out and buy your self it.

> Another point; during setup. I was advised that a
> number of applications would not work with Windows
> XP, eg Norton Systemworks 2001. Is there any way of
> checking all my drivers and updating so that all will
> work wth XP?

I think it should have told you that as well.
I think there is a program on the Win XP disk, which you can run to tell you what is & what not compatibility etc….

Good luck & hope this helps :)

PoWa
23-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Your new regcode will work with your XP, so you won't have to uninstall. Still leaves the question, why do you want to pay for it anyway? Is it home or pro version?

XP has pretty much updated drivers for everything, except some soundcards and winmodems etc. Maybe you should get a copy of systemworks that works with XP ie p2p.

Susan B
24-05-2003, 04:42 PM
> Still leaves the question, why do you want to pay for it anyway?

> Maybe you should get a copy of systemworks that works with XP ie p2p.

PoWa, if I read your post correctly you are actually promoting obtaining software illegally (ie stealing) and this kind of advice is not welcome on this forum.

tweak\'e
24-05-2003, 05:02 PM
garyasta- you can use the new reg code on your old install. theres is a key chager app to make things easier (look for it a www.magorgeeks.com) or you can follow MS instructions on their site.

there is a compatibility test program from MS (its on pcworld cd somewhere) that can check all your drivers/apps/etc. if you don't have compatable version either buy new versions or get free (i mean LEGALLY free) apps eg AVG antivirus instead of nortons.

btw it loks like powa will end up like tim if this keeps up ;-)