PDA

View Full Version : OT: What email client do you use.

-=JM=-
23-05-2003, 06:05 PM
Just thought I'd follow up the thread about what browser you use with what email client do you use.

Mozilla Mail
Eudora
Outlook
Outlook Express
The Bat!

add any others you want to the list.

stu140103
23-05-2003, 07:12 PM
I use both:

Outlook 2000
&
Outlook Express 5.5

bmason
23-05-2003, 07:22 PM
Eudora on windows.

kmail on linux, which is all I need in an e-mail client. If anyone knows of a windows kmail equivilant that doesn't use IE to render messages I would be interested.

caffy
23-05-2003, 07:34 PM
Outlook Express 6

rmcb
23-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Ximian Evolution on Mandrake 9.1

Terry Porritt
23-05-2003, 07:44 PM
Foxmail 4.2

-=JM=-
23-05-2003, 07:50 PM
I suppose I should mention that I use Mozilla. Works well and does all I need. FoxMail and Pegasus are nice though. Eudora sometimes.

Murray P
23-05-2003, 08:12 PM
I use OE 6 and have been trying to use Outlook 97 with not alot of luck, it stinks, could me me of course. see Here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=35069&message=163637&q=#163637) I want it for contact managment.

Cheers Murray P

Gordon.
23-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Use both Outlook Express 6 and Outlook 2000 depending on whether it is business or private email. Tried Eudora but for reasons that I could not fathom it did not seem to agree with my isp but thats another story.

beama
23-05-2003, 08:48 PM
ie 6 on 98se
pegasus mail

Oxie
23-05-2003, 09:06 PM
I use Netscape 6 for my browser and Pegasus for email.

Oxie

Kiwitas
23-05-2003, 09:08 PM
Foxmail 4.1(English)

I see that TP uses v4.2,so must assume he can read & write Chinese?

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

Terry Porritt
23-05-2003, 09:57 PM
No, Kiwitas :) , a slip of the finger, 4.1 it is.

E.ric
24-05-2003, 10:49 AM
After having trouble with Outlook Express had to go to Pegasus Mail, I very strange program,
It has word correction it, I was looking at the list what a strange list of words did you know if you spell "thegovernment" wrong it will auto correct to "the government", then there are heap of for letter words were the second and third letter has been transposed, even worse still, some spells some words wrong were the first and second letter got mixed up.
I deleted some, here is one I just found on the list, if you spell "efel" it will auto correct to "feel", how many people would mis-spell feel so bad it would turn out like efel, please tell me.

There are lots of words like they,re and they auto correct to they're

This program seems to be made in Auckland.

(oh why is this thread a OT subject?)

E.ric
24-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Very sorry every one, my last posting needs "gamma"-correction :(

If you have Pegasus Mail and not sure were this list of words are, go,

Tools => Options... => User Interface => Automatic formatting

segfault
24-05-2003, 12:05 PM
Under Linux I use Ximian Evolution 1.3.3 Preview Release (gtk2 version). On the computer that runs windows, I'm running Mozilla Mail as well as a nightly build of Mozilla Thunderbird.

Thomas
24-05-2003, 12:13 PM
Outlook Express 6.

Pity E.ric's doesnt do syntax as well;)

Jen C
24-05-2003, 01:32 PM
I hadn't heard of Foxmail 4.1 (http://fox.foxmail.com.cn/english.htm) before. Just downloaded it and gave it a quick look over. So far it looks really good :). It only took a second to import my wab files into the address book as well. I like how you can edit the New, Reply and Forward Templates using macro's so that you can set it up to your format preferences. That lack of customization with Outlook Express used to bug me.

Jen

Susan B
24-05-2003, 04:12 PM
Currently using Eudora for main email client, with Outlook Express for Hotmail account. Eudora is pretty good - I like having the Attachment Folder where it dumps all attachments rather than having to save each one individually like in OE. Can also scan the entire folder and catch viruses like the current "Microsoft" one. Downside to it is that the folder needs to be cleaned out fairly regularly if one does not wish to keep all attachments.

Plan to try Foxmail and Pegasus next but since I am a bit of a magpie when it comes to saving emails I will have to choose and stick with one rather than have emails stored all over the show.

-=JM=-
24-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Just a wee suggestion for you Susan. When you're trying out these different email packages I highly recommend that you set them to leave mail messages on the server. That way you can still get them with your tried and true.

Clueless
24-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Kmail

.Clueless

TonyF
24-05-2003, 09:51 PM
OE6 - from those nice folks at Redmond......

TonyF
24-05-2003, 09:52 PM
OE6 - from those nice folks at Redmond........

Susan B
24-05-2003, 09:57 PM
Excellent suggestion JM, thanks for that. :-)

tommy
30-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Can anyone advise how Foxmail compares to Outlook Express with regards to security? OE is touted as being a popular target for virus/security attacks compared to, say, Eudora, so would Foxmail be more secure in this respect?

Terry Porritt
30-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Although I have used Foxmail since Win 3.1 days I dont know how secure it is really. If you have an attachment sent to you and you open it then it wont be any different to any other email client. Trying to remember again....... a friend of ours that had Foxmail 2.1 I'd put on their machine became infected, and we received infected attachments, but cant quite remember if the virus had utilised the address book.

AVG doesnt recognise Foxmail for checking incoming or outgoing mail, so that is a disadvantage.

A great big advantage is that you can see email message headers on the ISP mail server, and delete those mails you dont wish to download. That is the only way I check my mail these days. Anything unrecognised or obviously junk gets deleted before it gets onto my computer.

I suspect (or maybe just hope) it is less vulnerable than OE.

-=JM=-
30-05-2003, 04:30 PM
I think that FoxMail would be secure just because it is NOT outlook or outlook express. If it's driven by an idiot though it will still be done though.

bmason
30-05-2003, 05:13 PM
I haven't used foxmail but this is what you should look for if you want better security than outlook. Hopefully their webpage will tell you (I couldn't find a readable english version so I can't check).

- Its not outlook. Outlook & OE are targeted because they are widely used & they have an execlent selection of vulnerabilities to use.

- Doesn't use IE to display HTML messages (and preferebly allows them to be disabled totally). Many (most?) of the vulnerabilities in Outlook are actually problems with IE. By default Eudora makes this mistake, but it can be set to use its own builtin one.

- Doesn't use the windows address book. Because if you do get infected, this is where most worms look for addresses to send themselves to.

Robin S_
30-05-2003, 11:50 PM
bm - thanks for the tip about using Eudora's built-in viewer for HTML. I presume you enable that by unchecking the "Use Microsoft viewer" box in Tools, Options, Viewing Mail. Do any other settings need to be changed?

JM - As indicated, I use Eudora which is great now. I had a big gripe about it on this forum earlier in the year after it had been very troublesome for 18 months or so. Last December they did a major hardware upgrade and in January or Feb they did a major software one. Since then I have had no problems with it except for when they changed the POP server address without notification (they have pulled that one several times before). So to anyone who had a bad ride with it before January, you may like to give it another shot now. One advantage it does have is that AVG's e-mail scan works with it. And, it doesn't automatically open attachments (which I gather some IEs do).

agent
31-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Outlook Express 6 for Hotmail.
Mailwasher for pre-checking in case I have spam :D

Mzee
31-05-2003, 12:28 AM
I use Free Agent for mail & news.
IE6 or Netscape 7 browsers.
Mailwasher for Spam.

Dylan
31-05-2003, 01:16 AM
Outlook 5.5
Default with Win2k

argus
31-05-2003, 06:20 AM
> It has word correction it, I was looking at the list what a strange list of
> words did you know if you spell "thegovernment" wrong it will auto correct
> to "the government", then there are heap of [four?]-letter words were the
> second and third letter has been transposed....

This I have long felt to be a weakness in MS Word; that if you ran two words together it didn't suggest putting a space in, but in later generations it has caught up. Eudora (my favoured email client) has always done it, and a word-processing program my daughters used to use when they were young for making greetings cards and the like (can't call the name of it to mind; it was filled with cartoons and whizz and splurt noises) had a spellchecker that did this; it was franchised by M'soft from someone else, whose checker was clearly better than Word.

My test word is "sunglass". Eudora (and the greeting-card program) offer you both options: "sun glass" and "sung lass". MS Word, dammit, doesn't correct "sunglass" at all; it thinks it's a proper word (maybe I absentmindedly put it in the dictionary; can someone else test it?).

With Word, "thegovernment" corrects automatically. Eudora offers the options: "the government" and "deliverymen" - God knows what the logic behind the second is!

I have noticed that when I scramble a word. MS Word offers some guesses that make my attempt sound like something an especially dumb hilbilly might of wrote. Wish I could think of an example, but it's hard to do deliberately.

I think with "efel", they have typos in mind (clumsy fingers), rather than genuine ignorance of the spelling. Eudora offers "feel", as does Word.

Did you mean "four-letter words" as in "swear-words"? (You do realise fcuk is a company name? In fact two company names, and there has been a legal fight about it) :-)

Eudora has an ingenious "rude-word" detector, which gives mails a zero- to three-chilli mark. You can get away with an innocent-but-sometimes obscene word like "screw", but if you put a genuine "four-letter-word" or two in the same message, you get a wiggly underline for "screw" too.

Gratified to see it picks up any suggestion of violent language too, it doesn't dwell exclusively on sexual terms.

But I don't use Eudora for its spellchecking, or its "Mood Watcher" function: I use it for its simplicity and its non-Microsoft-ness. I don't like to give too much over to MS by default, nor do I like too much integration: I'd certainly opt for keeping mail and browser separate, for privacy reasons. Using Outlook(Express), to my mind, is painting a target on your head for hackers and virus-spreaders. I suppose they'll get round to Eudora one of these days, and I might have to shift to Pegasus.

Argus

godfather
31-05-2003, 07:37 AM
Eudora, and no other.
For reasons similar to the above, I beleieve using OE is indeed painting a target on oneself. My e-mail is critical to my business, and I need a stable reliable platform.

Also Eudora is simple, uncomplicated and not deeply embedded in the system. I have successfully run it after a reformat, simply by copying the directory back and not "installing" it, as a test.
Don't recommend it as the best practice, but it gives an insight into how it doesnt integrate like Microsoft's OE does.

Backups are simple, and archived inbox and outbox files can ge opened simply by double clicking on them, which opens them in Eudora.
All attachments are kept in a separate folder, which also lends itself well to backup.

Thomas
31-05-2003, 09:25 AM
>Eudora, and no other.

And would that be the freebie?

stu140103
31-05-2003, 12:36 PM
> >Eudora, and no other.
>
> And would that be the freebie?

Yes, I think so :)

godfather
31-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Actually No.

I have a fully paid version (cost around $80 or $90 from memory for registration, would be less now with better exchange rate)

I consider it some of the best value software that I have purchased, and I used it in ad-supported mode for about 3 weeks prior to registering.

I will look at purchasing 5.2 one day, as my registration does not support versions over 5.1

Synchronized_Thoughts
31-05-2003, 06:03 PM
MSN Explorer!! lolz i like it aye!! simple and easy to use aye!! :)

Synchronized_Thoughts

Neutrino
31-05-2003, 06:22 PM
"Outlook Express"
Email Privacy ( local server software)
Sometimes "BlackBox"

Robin S_
02-06-2003, 09:30 PM
Susan - with respect to the deletion of attachments, have you looked at the Tools, Options, Attachments "tab"? There are a couple of options there for deleting them.

fragged
02-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Robin, yes I have looked at the options for the attachment folder. As far as I can see you can opt to have attachments deleted from that folder when the message is deleted but I do not want that to happen with every attachment whose email I delete. Being a bit of a magpie I like to keep some of them for a few days and some of them for longer even though the message is deleted. It is not really a problem to go through them once in a while.

Thanks for your tip anyway. :-)