PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Cards

Pete515
21-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Can anyone recommend a graphics card for a PCI slot? I run XP.

robsonde
21-05-2003, 07:43 PM
what CPU / motherboard do you have??
why no AGP slot??

if you system is as old as it sound then you will have lots of problems running XP

metla
21-05-2003, 10:46 PM
> Can anyone recommend a graphics card for a PCI slot?
> I run XP.

either a gforce2mx or a gforce4mx,both are available as pci.

Be awere that a video card running thru the pci will never be as fast as an agp setup.

Yu can buy a cheap motherboard with an agp slot and get a video card for under $250 bucks

metla
21-05-2003, 10:48 PM
> what CPU / motherboard do you have??
> why no AGP slot??
>
> if you system is as old as it sound then you will
> have lots of problems running XP
>

Not quite,there are millions of computers sold every year with intergrated video chips and no agp slot.

Intel chipsets with onboard video are the worlds biggest selling motherboards....

Chilling_Silently
21-05-2003, 11:02 PM
If you're running off PCI, then you'll never get the best performance you could...

Why not look into a TV-Tuner/Capture card (Dependant on what you'll use it for).

If you're really looking to go low-cost, then try a second hand voodoo card perhaps.

Otherwise I've gotta agree with the GF4 PCI :-)

Pheonix
22-05-2003, 10:39 AM
Might be a problem Chill, with Voodoo drivers for XP? Didn't 3Dfx close shop before XP?

whetu
22-05-2003, 11:09 AM
that's right phoenix, but there's a lot of 3dfx fanboys beavering away making third party drivers.. and recently the source code for the official drivers was released, meaning better third party drivers can be written...

www.voodoofiles.com

Chilling_Silently
22-05-2003, 01:49 PM
Thanks Whetu, that was what I had in mind :-)

As a matter of fact, the CyberCafe that I visit once in a while (Not the one I do work at every now and then) mainly uses Voodoo Cards!

They have a mix of VooDoo 3's, 4's, and 5's running Win98SE and WinXP Home OEM!

Pheonix
22-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Thanks, I will file that away for future reference.