PDA

View Full Version : sharing a broadband connection

Craig
21-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Is it possible for my families home computer to be connected to my mum's work server which is no the other side of town, in order to share there broadband connection? how do you do this, is this what an adsl router is for?

Thanks.

Clueless
21-05-2003, 05:38 PM
The short answer is no

...unless you have some really fast connection at home such as DSL/Cable so you can connect to the office. Of course if you have this, you probably don't need to connect to the office any more :p

I have heard of it being done with an infrared link across a street, and i think it can be done with a wireless LAN, but i don't know the range. Liam might be able to tell us more here, I think that this is his specailty.

.Clueless

cyberchuck
21-05-2003, 06:05 PM
The problem would be that your mums work would need to have an ADSL Server (or whatever its called) so you could log into it. Otherwise you'd just be dialling up to it with a 56k modem, and sharing the "high speed internet" that way, with the problem being that the 56k connection would provide a nice bottleneck to the high speed connection...

CyberChuck

Pheonix
21-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Wireless LAN has been known to stretch to 10km. BUT this is line-of-sight with dish aerials. I have the problem the other way, have jetstart at home, but cannot get it for the business. (It has to be jetstream , not jetstart). That makes it too expensive, so will have to keep tying-up the line.