PDA

View Full Version : Highspeed Internet Help

Craig
21-05-2003, 05:04 PM
My parents have finally agreed to get highspeed internet and would like to know a bit about it.

We are currently with Ihug and would prefer to say with them to keep our current e-mail address, but it wouldn't matter if we changed ISP's too much. Our computer has a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC, is this all that's required in terms of modem?

Also how does Ihug's fastest internet compare with Telecom's Jetstream? Basically just give me the whole run down on Broadband.

Thanks.

honeylaser
21-05-2003, 05:18 PM
> We are currently with Ihug and would prefer to say
> with them to keep our current e-mail address, but it
> wouldn't matter if we changed ISP's too much.

You can stay with your ISP. Jetstream is an additional service, which is run via your ISP.

> Our
> computer has a Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast
> Ethernet NIC, is this all that's required in terms of
> modem?

Not if you are after ADSL. ADSL requires an ADSL modem (such as this one (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3ecafd580178bf88273fc0a87f990742/Product/View/XH1148) from DSE)

> Also how does Ihug's fastest internet compare with
> Telecom's Jetstream?

Well, AFAIK, Ihug don't have their own fast internet connection, it is all run through Telecom Jetstream and Ihug are only the ISP. There is, of course, a satellite connection, but you're paying top dollar (plus a dish).

> Basically just give me the whole
> run down on Broadband.

That would take quite some time! Check out:

Telecom Jetstream @ Home (http://www.telecom.co.nz/stream/0,3898,202626-201502,00.html)

You might want to call Ihug and discuss your requirements with them.

cyberchuck
21-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Hey

You will need to get an ADSL modem which will set you back ~$100-$200 depending on what brand you get/etc. As this is the modem which is required for ADSL - your Realtek RTL9139 is a Ethernet NIC - for Networking.

As far as my knowledge goes, Ihug and Xtra both offer 128kbps Jetstream - therefore your speeds will be roughly equal on either service, however Ihug have free national bandwidth with their Jetstream Home/Starter packages, with a 10GB international cap (or something like that), whereas Xtra has a 5GB Cap on all traffic.

However, should you have a phoneline for exclusive internet use at the moment, then you will be able to get that disconnected as ADSL works on 1 phone line simeoultaneously with voice calls - in other words, you can be on the net, and on the phone at the same time

CyberChuck

Murray P
21-05-2003, 11:24 PM
Hi Craig

Heres what you can do:

Connect your modem/router (once youv'e purchased it of course) to your Realtek ethernet card. To do this will require that you get a modem with an ethernet/lan connection. You can get them as just ethernet modem or combo ethernet & USB or just USB. I would be wary of getting a USB modem, people seem to have more problems with them. the combo's are ok, just don't need to use the USB connection.

A few people on this forum have been buying DSE modems of late. They also seem to have more than their fair shar of problems. Could be just because a few people have been buying them lately tho ;)

IMHO stick with tried and true. Dynalink, D-Link, Nokia M series (if they can be got) Alcatel and poss Linksys (have a good rep overseas) Stay away from USB and get one with a switch (not hub) if you think you may want to network and share the connection at a later date (or you can buy a switch for about $40-100- and add it later. Requires that all important ethernet connection tho).

As the guys say above, all Jetsteam/Jetsart originates from Telecom and resold thru ISP's. Look fir the best deal in your area, do some research. A lucky few can get cable from Telstra (like me if I wanted :D ) But that option hasn't arrived in Tauranga and prob wont.

HTH Murray P

kiwibeat
25-05-2003, 01:26 PM
If you can get the paradise package in your region they are quite good 10 gig limit per month at 256kbs