PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of VodafoneLive and XtraMobile? Please tell me.

robo
21-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Hi people
If you use either of these services, can you post here what you use and what you get out of it please? I am sure that I must be just too old, but I struggle to see what makes either attractive. I won't say what I think of them, would like your view. I may have missed something.
Please mention a rough idea of you age, too. Yoof, thirty-something, middle aged, fogey, something like that.
Cheers.
robo.

Miami Steve
21-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Join the club, Robo. I cannot fathom out what anybody can possibly get out of those sites, either (and my other half works in Vodafone IS :D). I'm in my 30's, and used to use the Vodafone WAP site at the weekends (on free minutes) to get the latest news, soccer scores etc. but now I cannot find my way through all the Live! content to any useful sites. There must be a market there somewhere - I believe sales of the Live! phones have been good. It looks like you have to pay for everything you do on the site nowadays, but it appears that the youngsters don't worry about that. I guess it's the user pays environment in which they have been raised.

Will be interested in what other people have to say on this subject.

Cheers
Miami

csinclair83
21-05-2003, 04:16 PM
mmm not relevant to this..
but vodafone live...program last nite...pathetic..
did anyone else watch it?

stu140103
21-05-2003, 04:50 PM
OT:
> mmm not relevant to this..
> but vodafone live...program last nite...pathetic..
> did anyone else watch it?

yep, it was not bad, it might get better as time goes on......

Clueless
21-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Oops my ignorance must be showing...
I have been with vodafone for 6(?) Years, and have no idea what vodafone-Live actually is!

.Clueless

Clueless
21-05-2003, 06:45 PM
Oops 2
I just read the original question..
I shall comply on the age thing by saying that i am a forty year old fart.

.Clueless

Thomas
21-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Vodafone Live!
Global - Vodafone are the worlds largest operator
Fresh - Colour screens, SP MIDI ringtones, wallpaper etc
Innovative - AA cam for sag junction up here. Not much good to you but you live below he Bombays so who cares...
Useful - maps, directions
Limited - only available on Sharp GX 10 in full glory. 3650 (Nokia) will be available very soon. Can use other handsets but not the coolest bits.
Slower - GPRS network at around 56 kbps but not that bad really

Mobile Jetstream/Xtra
Faster - 128 kbps or there abouts
Available on all handsets
Stale - has been the same for a while
Grey Scale at best for most handsets
Not very content rich - lack of colour can cause a not - very - impressed feeling

From the operators point of view it's all just getting info to a mobile device that the customer can use. What then becomes important is the device that the customer uses. The handsets on Vodafone give a richer experience. Especially the new Nokia 3650!!! With built in camera and video recorder and high grade SP MIDI blah blah blah... check it out for yourself(http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,4879,2273,00.html).

My choice, Vodafone as the whole point of these gimmicky services is to act as cool ways to access info while you are on the move yet still be practical info. Voda has all of this and has more of a likelihood to advance the product in the near future as it is a global phenomenon (although not interconnected as yet).

>Hope this is of some help.

mikebartnz
21-05-2003, 09:53 PM
Your a young fart I have 9 years on you.

nomad
21-05-2003, 11:14 PM
i am a mid 20's young fart. i have used vodafone mobile data and used a Nokia 5110 with a datacable to the lappie getting emails using the free mins. I now have a 6210 with WAP - i do not use. I have tried it. Whats the point - $$, time consuming, messy. I could jus log onto web and get ring tones, wallpapers and such. Palm remains to make it to my reality life ... bluetooth/IR connection is nice w/ phone when everything is controlled on the PDA. Never will I use the cellphone only when i have to. I have date to find that situation when i cannot not avoid it.

there's potential as its early days for these tech, right now its not for me.

N.

utopia
22-05-2003, 12:25 AM
>
> Mobile Jetstream/Xtra
> Faster - 128 kbps or there abouts
> Available on all handsets
> Stale - has been the same for a
> been the same for a while
> Grey Scale at best for most handsets
> Not very content rich - lack of
> rich - lack of colour can cause a not - very -
> impressed feeling
>

Mobile Jetstream is only avaliable with certain Telecom 027 phones, while WAP is avaliable on all but one Telecom 027 phone. Certain WAP features require your ISP to be XTRA, while most other features do not.

robo
22-05-2003, 09:46 AM
So far am I not really convinced.
Is it lack of content, slowness of navigation, or what?

I mean, I am prepared to be convinced that it is the thing, but nobody is making a compelling argument so far.
robo.

Miami Steve
22-05-2003, 11:24 AM
I think the world is just leaving us behind :(. Despite working in IT for 20 years now, I do not feel compelled to have the latest and greatest just for the sake of it. I have never used a chat program and I don't care what David "Bend it" Beckham has done with his hair. Am I cynical? I don't think so. I just don't pay any attention to the new rulers of the world - the marketing people ]:).

Cheers
Miami

-=JM=-
22-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Provided that I can send/receive text messages and the occasional phone call that is all that matters to me.

The web is designed to be surfed from home. If I had net access and all the like on a PDA/Phone no doubt I would just end up posting here more frequently than I currently do and wouldn't be sleeping as often as I'd have a reason to stay awake during lectures.