PDA

View Full Version : Paradise email delays

John H
21-05-2003, 03:30 PM
Hi folks

I just received an email from Wellington that was sent at 10.30am and arrived in ChCh at 2.00 pm.

I have noticed quite a few delays like this, and it has just come across on radio news that there is indeed a problem with Paradise's email server.

They are replacing it, but it will take a few days to get sorted.

At least I think that was the gist of it, because I only tuned my brain in to the radio part way through the broadcast when something caught my attention... Hope I haven't get it wrong.

John

robo
21-05-2003, 03:35 PM
I read they are bringing in staff to make it work faster. Not sure what that means. Maybe they are printing off the emails and re-typing them. Can't figure how extra staff would speed up a server.

Anyway, sounds like it shall be a problem until they take it down over the weekend and restart it.

Be happy. I've been getting messages today from xtra saying someone is sending me emails too big. They don't say how big, or who. The warnings are addressed to an email address I don't use, to make matters worse. Can't tell who the email is addressed to, either. I had to call to find out the max is 12Mb, anyone sending me mail larger than that is just being rude.

At least F1 is back.
robo.

Clueless
21-05-2003, 03:39 PM
I wondered why some emails seemed to be taking a while to come through.....

.Clueless

Steve Askew
21-05-2003, 04:29 PM
Maybe that explains what happened to me.
My paradise mail timed out earlier & I couldn't access any websites too & to top it off I couldn't get my cable modem to go to stand-by mode, It was as if a little Gremlin at (paradise)the other end was keeping the power on.
It came right after about 10 mins & then I was able to recieve emails sent to me about 5Hours earlier.

Cheers steve

John H
21-05-2003, 05:53 PM
I heard the news broadcast again, and it largely confirmed what robo said above. Apparently the new server is going in over the weekend.

I have noticed for some time that the "authorising" phase seems to take a long time when my email programme is checking for mail (I am on adsl).

I now wonder if that is an indicator of problems at their end? I thought it may be a product of all the prophylactic programmes running on my computer - Nortons anti virus, pop-up stopper with filters from hell, Sygate Personal Firewall etc. It will be interesting to see what happens when their new server is up and running.

John

Clueless
21-05-2003, 06:31 PM
If only they had told us..
I just helped reduce the load on the poor overloaded server by redirecting all the mail that comes through one of my domains elsewhere.
I would have done it when the problem first surfaced, had i been aware of it.

.Clueless

stu140103
21-05-2003, 08:13 PM
I just read this on Teletext page 138 May21
#######################################
Email problems for Paradise users
Customers of the Internet service
provider Paradise are facing delays of
several hours in getting e-mail.

The company says 100,000 subscribers
have been affected for several days
while it has been upgrading its
server. But it says the problem has
worsened and more staff have been
brought in to increase the capacity of
the server.

Paradise says the server will be taken
out of action for a short time over
the weekend to do more work.

Steve Askew
21-05-2003, 08:21 PM
I just got email notification of Johns posting :^O

TonyF
21-05-2003, 10:01 PM
>
> I have noticed for some time that the "authorising"
> phase seems to take a long time when my email
> programme is checking for mail (I am on adsl).

Indeed yes - has been slow for a couple of weeks. On dialup tonight, authorising took 30 secs ..............

Murray P
21-05-2003, 10:59 PM
"But it says the problem has
worsened and more staff have been
brought in to increase the capacity of
the server."

So they must put the people in the server to increase the capacity. Just like adding ram, or maybe they hook them up. :O Thats amazing those people at Paradise realy pull out all the stops when the publics perception of their performance may be sullied by something like a laggard server :)

The real story, as I've heard it, and this is why John and the rest of em down there are having it bad is.... that they're getting prepared for a bit of cable snipping just to let you know it can/wil be done if you buggers down there don't get those lakes filled, fast. And there will be no saving your connections if the Blues get spanked this weekend. You'll see. :p

Cheers Murray P

Polk
21-05-2003, 11:04 PM
Im getting the same symptons too..

Wish they would of told us though, quite frustrating...

Jester
21-05-2003, 11:14 PM
> Wish they would of told us though, quite
> frustrating...

They probably emailed us to tell us .... we'll get it tomorrow!

John H
21-05-2003, 11:47 PM
> The real story, as I've heard it, and this is why John and the rest of em down there are having it bad is.... that they're getting prepared for a bit of cable snipping just to let you know it can/wil be done if you buggers down there don't get those lakes filled, fast.

The trouble is that you buggers up there keep draining the Mainland of its power, people, road tax, and one of my daughters (sob). The north seems to be a bottomless pit into which all the country's resources get re-located...

Still, to paraphrase what Muldoon once said about Kiwis emigrating to Oz - the migration of Mainlanders north raises the average intelligent quotient of both places!

> And there will be no saving your connections if the Blues get spanked this weekend. You'll see.

I believe you - we will have both the capital and the north against us for spanking the 'Canes and the Blues! That means the combined might of the political capital and the commercial capital against us. Still, that combination is how they managed to take all our road taxes to pour into Orcland's mess. We are used to it by now! Grump, grump.

John

John H
21-05-2003, 11:49 PM
Um, that should have read "intelligence quotient". Kind of destroys the point to make a "Blue" like that eh?

rodb
22-05-2003, 12:30 AM
Just you Southerners stop a moment and think clearly.
If all the taxes the government collected from Auckland was spent here every other part of the country would be in a sorry mess.

Anyway, about Paradise - it has been very patchy today, sometimes almost instant connection for email and other times no go at all.

Clueless
22-05-2003, 02:15 AM
> I just got email notification of Johns posting :^O

Steve.. my notifications are delayed as well, but my email is going through registerdirects servers NOT paradises. I think the delay is likely part of the ongoing PF1 server problems.

.Clueless

John H
22-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Instant connection to Paradise this am. Like it used to be. Maybe all those people slotted into the server are making some difference after all. Are they all pedalling frantically? Are they doing what robo suggested? Wot are they doing? This cries out for a graphic artist.

Murray P
22-05-2003, 09:41 AM
John

It was that Ozzie bleeda Marshal that cost the Canes. Unfortunately I think he heard me yelling at him from up here beacause, the more I yelled the worse he got. Never could get away with dissing the ref :( When he left for home the intellegence of all 3 islands went up.

Another correction for you:
It's Dorkland not Orcland. Rolls off the tongue better as well, don't you think.
Althought they reside here (Welly) for much of the year (or should, h down & a up in their little offices) most of the politicians come from places north of both of us. I propose that we emphasise the trend a little, the Kermadec's being as good a place as any for their particular talents.

Cheers Murray P

TonyF
22-05-2003, 09:59 AM
> Instant connection to Paradise this am. Like it used
> to be.
Yes indeed. "Authorising" flashed through. Hope it is all fixed now.

Clueless
22-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Murray P,

I was at "Barrymore" last night.The "Dorkland" joke is definitely catching on internationally.
*Clueless was born and raised in South Dorkland*

Its good to see that the E-mail thing is sorting itself. At least the actual connection speed and reliability hasn't suffered!

.Clueless

Murray P
22-05-2003, 01:27 PM
Clueless, Obviously the guy at Paradise has got tired and loosened his grip on the cable.

How was old Barrymore? Always thought he looked a bit shifty.

South is better. Must mind my words tho, got a bit of work coming up in your direction.

Cheers Murray P

Clueless
22-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Hi again Murray,

> How was old Barrymore? Always thought he looked a bit
> shifty.

He's a dirty bugger. I hadn't laughed so much in a long time!

> South is better. Must mind my words tho, got a bit of
> work coming up in your direction.
>
> Cheers Murray P

Me thinks South is better too, thats why i moved down here many many years ago. :D Still each to their own, you never know what squeals someones wheels ey?

.Clueless

Garibaldi
22-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Well apart from anything else maybe P'dise could delay the heart-rending missives from the Ivory Coast - like forever. How many orphaned children of murdered government officials with us$25 million tucked away can there be? Does anyone fall for this scam anymore???

stu140103
22-05-2003, 11:49 PM
E-mail outages at Paradise
http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_detail/0,1227,191823-1-7,00.html