PDA

View Full Version : Constant freezeups - never used to happen before! - Help!

PoWa
21-05-2003, 02:21 PM
Alright its been happening over the last few days now, and I think its time to call for help.

I just go about using my computer as normal, then bamm everything freezes and I have to hard boot the stupid machine. Its happening about once every hour and before a week ago I never got freezeups at all.

What is going on here? Post every possible idea you can think of please :)

I'm running XP Pro, 1.1Athlon, 384ram, GF4 mx440.

Thanks!

write-click
21-05-2003, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure if it's the same kind of problem I encountered recently but what fixed my computer was downloading all the updates for Windows XP (I'd sort of forgotten to do that for a while...!). Since then it has been running perfectly (fingers crossed), even better than before it started freezing. Worth a try!

stu140103
21-05-2003, 02:39 PM
> Alright its been happening over the last few days
> now, and I think its time to call for help.
>
> I just go about using my computer as normal, then
> bamm everything freezes and I have to hard boot the
> stupid machine. Its happening about once every hour
> and before a week ago I never got freezeups at all.

That all most sounds like my problem I am having: :)
http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=33968&message=153201

But with Win ME PC & GeForce4 440

Jen C
21-05-2003, 06:53 PM
Hi Powa

Have you had a look under Control Panel > Admininstrative Tools > Event Viewer? Check the logs for any errors noted around the freeze - it may shed more light on it. If no software errors are found - start thinking hardware problems.

Jen

Pheonix
21-05-2003, 07:03 PM
The most common being memory sticks and power supplies.

PoWa
21-05-2003, 08:29 PM
There were like 50errors around the time it happened.

Next time it happens, I'll record the time and then see what is happening.

Jen C
21-05-2003, 08:58 PM
> There were like 50errors around the time it
> happened.

50 errors is a bit excessive! Clicking on the error will give you further details - is there a recurring theme with them?

PoWa
22-05-2003, 01:50 AM
I just had 3 siezes in like 5mins :\ Argh!

Anyway, I'm only getting like 3 errors, and they keep re-occurring. Here are the messages in the event viewer - system.

Message 1

The Control Protocol EAP in the Point to Point Protocol module C:\WINDOWS\System32\rasppp.dll returned an error while initializing. The request is not supported.

Message 2

Remote Access Connection Manager failed to start because the Point to Point Protocol failed to initialize. The request is not supported.

Message 3

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service MDM with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{0C0A3666-30C9-11D0-8F20-00805F2CD064}

I think I fixed message 3, because it was referring to the Machine Debug Manager, which service I had disabled about a week ago cos I thought it was some virus. So I've started it up again ;)

Anyway who is runing XP here? Ctrl alt del, and have a look to see if there is a process running called "mdm.exe" or "mdc.exe". If you have them I guess they can't be viruses...??

What do the other error messages mean???

brig
22-05-2003, 05:31 AM
Running XP Home Edition......no mdm.exe, nor mdc.exe here

brig

Pheonix
22-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Not on my XP pro either. But doing a google search, found that mdm.exe is Microsoft Machine debug Manager, and mdc.exe is a Mcdonnel-Douglas screensaver. Ring any bells?

PoWa
22-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Screensaver? What the.... No I don't have any screensavers on :\

Anyone know how to fix errors 1, 2??? I tried restarting the processes, but it keeps coming up with access denied errors when I do :\

Pheonix
22-05-2003, 02:26 PM
RemoteAccessServerPhone-application. Don't know what it means but PPP usually stands for Point-to-Point Protocol. Just wondered if you have run Spybot in case you have picked up a "dialler"?

PoWa
25-05-2003, 04:01 PM
Thanks people. I managed to fix the problem by upgrading to SP1 again. Maybe those services were corrupt or something. I don't know why I need them running anyway? Remote desktop management? I don't want someone remotely controlling my computer!?

Before there was an error with windows and I had to do the repair option, and I hadn't upgraded the system back to SP1. So maybe Windows was having some conflicts or something with old files?