PDA

View Full Version : PCDoctor on call 2

effie C
21-05-2003, 01:53 PM
Hi,
I tried to post this yesterday but as is frequently the case of late F1 was down - why?
Anyway, I have a gripe- again! At the encouragement of members of F1, several months ago I down loaded PC Doctor on Call 2--- ran it , found several spyware etc, files - supposedly deleted them-- until I ran the Pc doc yesterday as part of my housekeeping - found 4 files - an hour later I ran it again - found the same four files!!!!???
I then clicked on " learn how to delete these files with one easy click!"

Guess what - that meant going online and paying $29 odd ( and U S at that no doubt) to get what by inference was free!!!
I must be naive - all this time I have been identifying these spyware files and not checking their titles etc. and now it appears they have always been the same
I call this a rort!
Effie C

stu140103
21-05-2003, 02:10 PM
> Hi,
> I tried to post this yesterday but as is frequently
> y the case of late F1 was down - why?

Have a look at this post: http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=35133

& there is a few other about why Press F1 having so much not working time do a search & you will find them :)

Kame
21-05-2003, 02:59 PM
I think it's just a misunderstanding with the word free?

I think this program comes under Shareware which means that to get the other functions you most likely would have to pay or whatever but programmers who make such programs do need to earn a living somehow.

Freeware is different.

The only reason I think it can't delete the files is because they are in use. Doing it in safe-mode as long as that program can run in safe-mode should be able to remove them. I use adaware to delete spyware off my PC.

effie C
21-05-2003, 03:11 PM
Hi Kame,
Yes I agree the interpretation of Shareware v Freeware is a point - I cannot at this length of time say whether it was Shareware - I am sure I understood it as freeware.
Either way I am put out that I did not analyse the detected files much earlier-conversely the files located have still not been found by Spybot and Ad aware despite weekly searches, so if they did not find these four files and to me they should have- what then do we use as a limit to the paranoia of locating spyware files, with this recommendation or other.

Just as a rider to this , I accidently downloaded Gator for date and time keeping - I have tried and liked these before----BUT Spybot detected as spyware ALL of the download and next time I came online - there was nothing there at all- the entire program is suspect ccording to spybot
effie c

Graham L
21-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Well, I think it is produced by a commecial organisation , whose programmers like to eat occasionally, under a roof, so they want to be paid. ;-)

So the company charges for its products. It is obvious from their own site that this is a product for sale. They may allow downloading to try it out, but then want payment for a full function version. That's version 2.

Have a look with google ... "PC doctor on call 2" ... and look down the links until you see one which refers to version 1 of the programme. That is explicitly free. It may be that with the new version out (better) they are willing to give the original version away. There may be things the new version does, which the old one doesn't. Try it if you don't want to pay for the current version.

There are "rorts" around. But most software costs. If it's free, they will say so. I'm looking at software for a Palm OS toy I've just bought. There is a lot of free stuff, there's a lot of shareware, there's a lot of freeware. It's all available at some sites. If it just says "Buy", I don't click on it. :D It's called "reading the instructions".

Clueless
21-05-2003, 03:25 PM
>I accidently downloaded Gator for date and time keeping - >I have tried and liked these before----BUT Spybot detected >as spyware ALL of the download and next time I came online >- there was nothing there at all- the entire program is >suspect ccording to spybot.

Thats because the entire program IS suspect. It was purely written to gather data on peoples computing habits and send "home" a report.

.Clueless

effie C
21-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Well graham l -- I did as you somewhat cynically suggested- yes these people have to eat and I accept that -BUT I went as you said to google and downloaded the "free" versinon ( stated as) and found 9 errors this time - and guess what? " to repair these problems register and pay $29 odd"-- wel now that to me is less than free
--- or is my senility getting worse
effie c

effie C
21-05-2003, 04:25 PM
thank you clueless- Bingo that is exactly as has happened in my second post to F1 now I can die in peace
effie c

Kame
21-05-2003, 04:31 PM
There are bad programmers, who like playing tricks on people. Their program could somehow be pretending to detect incorrect files that do not exist and are just trying to con you into buying their product. There was a case with a particular antivirus which reported false virii.