PDA

View Full Version : PressF1 problems - Status

Biggles
21-05-2003, 11:00 AM
Just so you all know we are working on fixing these crashes. The guys are currently logging what is going on to try and establish exactly what the fault is. Really sorry for the ongoing inconvenience.

Murray P
21-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Isallright Bruce.

olldaddy76
21-05-2003, 02:03 PM
I am prepared to wait as we are lucky to have such a site for fun..education.....technology know how...ranting and raving and I hope SO SAY ALL OF US?

Thomas
21-05-2003, 04:58 PM
In My case your hopes are fulfilled.

cyberchuck
21-05-2003, 05:31 PM
Speaking of that, could someone explain to me what a NullPointerException error actually is? (or whatever it is?)... I see people pointing the finger of PF1 faults at it, but I don't know what it really is or what "NullPointers" have to do with PF1's errors...

Thanks

CyberChuck

robsonde
21-05-2003, 05:58 PM
pointers are a programming thing.

null is meaning nothing.

you have a pointer and it tells the program where to look for the bit of data. a null pointer is not set to point to anything and so when you go and have a look the program crashes or something bad like that.

where do null pointer come from?

when you make a new bit of data (a post on the forum) the program make a new pointer (which is set to null by ths OS) and then tells the OS I ahve this data to stor where can i put it? the OS will return a pointer to a place for the program to store the info.

the problem come when the program stores the data but dosent the pale in the pointer. this means that the pointer is still set to null and when it goes back to get the data it cant find it and "throws" a null pointer error.

hope that makes sence.

as for fixing this problem, it could be anywhere in 10000 lines of code :-)

robsonde
21-05-2003, 06:04 PM
and a version with less mistakes :-0

pointers are a programming thing.

null is meaning nothing.

you have a pointer and it tells the program where to
look for the bit of data. a null pointer is not set
to point to anything and so when you go and have a
look the program crashes or something bad like that.

where do null pointer come from?

when you make a new bit of data (a post on the forum)
the program makes a new pointer (which is set to null
by ths OS) and then tells the OS I have this data to
store where can i put it? the OS will return a location value
to a place for the program to store the info.

the problem come when the program stores the data but
dosent store the location value in the pointer. this means that the
pointer is still set to null and when it goes back to
get the data it cant find it and "throws" a null
pointer error.

hope that makes sence.

as for fixing this problem, it could be anywhere in 10000 lines of code :-)

look I cant find the mistakes in 30 lines of posting!!

cyberchuck
21-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Thanks for that :D

Tobas
21-05-2003, 07:01 PM
"Curently logging" . Gee, considering all of the resources that pressf1 have on hand I would have thought logging would have been tried months ago.

And yeah I know it's for free and we can't expect too much, nevertheless I would have thought we would have been down this road before now.

Well anyway... Good luck in trapping the little bugger.

Chilling_Silently
21-05-2003, 07:11 PM
...So I hear that its not you this time Bruce?

;-)

You guys will get it nailed...

Look, if you get stuck, I know of this website you can goto.. its mainly end-user to end-user help.. Great Forum.. Hmm, only thing is they've been having a bit of trouble lately...

;-)

Thomas
21-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Well you know whart thought did.

"The basement's flooded!" "But I thought I turned the faucet off..." "Well, you know what thought did."

Just a little aside on thought.

E.ric
21-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Problems? what problems? there are no problems with Press F1

Just take time out to meditate man, just meditate for a few hours when things go wrong, and when you come back to planet earth all the worries are gone away, cool man every one gota mediate more often, just sit legs folded on top of the computer.

Susan B
21-05-2003, 11:02 PM
> cool man every one gota mediate more often, just sit legs folded on top of the computer.

E.ric, you are priceless! :D

Chilling_Silently
21-05-2003, 11:04 PM
> just sit
> legs folded on top of the computer.

When the IDG Admin/Web Team try that... things like PF1 going down tend to happen ;-)

Dak2
21-05-2003, 11:13 PM
My 2 cents worth, get rid of whatever software you are using!!!!!!!!!!
I regularly visit a large number of sites with forums and this is by far the worst I use, it's slow, has limited functions and crashes like you wouldn't believe.

metla
22-05-2003, 03:41 AM
ditch the software.

All its proven is that its limited and likes to crash.

Not something id have residing on any hardware of mine.

-=JM=-
22-05-2003, 01:40 PM
The software is fine. There's just a few wee bugs in it, once they're ironed out which it sounds like they know what the problem is it will be fine.

Chilling_Silently
22-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Dak2 and Metla>
If you can provide some other software to host a message board on, Id love to see it.

IDG Dont just use some remote server either for it..

The great thing about PF1 is it doesnt just look and act like the rest of the message boards out there! I chance across a lot on my travels, and they're all the same and its BORING!

Im with JM :-)

metla
22-05-2003, 02:13 PM
> Dak2 and Metla>
> If you can provide some other software to host a
> message board on, Id love to see it.
>
> IDG Dont just use some remote server either for it..
>
> The great thing about PF1 is it doesnt just look and
> act like the rest of the message boards out there! I
> chance across a lot on my travels, and they're all
> the same and its BORING!
>
> Im with JM :-)

uh....no,my single contribution to this thread is to knock the software.

.........................HA

nzStan
22-05-2003, 02:40 PM
There are plenty of Open Source forum software out there. I am familiar with at least two or three of the most popular ones which will run on Windows or Linix based servers.

Re the same look and feel of forums out there - changing the look and feel on the forum is not a problem if you take time to see some of the more sophisticated online game clans' forums. Some are outright work of art.

Take for example the forum run by ICONZ Games ( http://forums.iconz.co.nz/index.php ). I have an account there and when I choose the LCARS template for my personal preference I am presented with a Star Trek style console. That is by far my most favorite template.

The PCWorld forum is pretty buggy. I've lost count the number of times it had errors. I assume it is a commercial forum? I paid nothing for my Open Source forum, took less than one day to set up and never had a programmer error crash. Maybe a server crash once in a while, but the software is 100% dependable.

bmason
22-05-2003, 03:56 PM
But remember PF1 is aimed at people who are new to this. Forums like the one you mentioned have a lot of features that are probably intimidating to newbies.

Compare the number of buttons & images on a PF1 thread to the ones on the above site.

nzStan
22-05-2003, 04:05 PM
Like I said. Open Source forums are highly customisable with features easily toggled on and off. And if you go into the source code and remove the function.

You can make the forum as simple to use as the present PF1 forum or make it like Fort Knox if you prefer.

-=JM=-
22-05-2003, 04:07 PM
Well there are other forum packages but I don't think that there are many that work on the plat form that they're wanting. Being Linux and JSP.

Also if it never broke occasionally don't you think they'd get a bit bored not having something to do ]:)

They looked at other packages before they made the transition to this one. I don't think they'd be changing it in a hurry at a guess.

stu140103
22-05-2003, 04:15 PM
I think this forum is Open Source, not too sure & because they have customised this forum so much they canít upgrade.

stu140103
22-05-2003, 05:00 PM
I hope that you are logging, because it has happen again :(

Graham L
22-05-2003, 05:10 PM
I can get into this thread on the first page. But the Java isn't behaving again. Only three threads, partially displayed. The dreaded Null Pointer again.

Oh dear. :_|

metla
22-05-2003, 05:13 PM
mmmmmmmm....star trek style console............

Sounds like the go to me.

Billy T
22-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Gronk :D

It happened the moment I clicked on a thread to open it, but I didn't do it, honest.

And to the knockers, please leave PF1 alone, we like it the way it is. Nothing like an occasional null pointer to bring the community together. I agree with the comments about how user friendly it is, I have given up on some Forums which just too hard to understand, and the contributors are not very helpful either.:(

Go for it Bruce, the gnomes of IDG will ferret out the problem so long as we keep crashing it to give logs to read.]:)

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

[pre][b]Hey E.ric- I tried meditating on top of my computer
but I keep banging my head on the underside of my desk.
Guess the Lotus position is not for me.:8}

Clueless
22-05-2003, 05:26 PM
Ka boom!!!!!!!!

.Clueless

Terry Porritt
22-05-2003, 06:45 PM
This nullpointer error thing has to be good for the soul, it helps to make people think out their problem for themselves, which is what Press F1 is supposed to be about. :D

agent
22-05-2003, 06:56 PM
metla and the other guy (nzStan?) - who wants to be browsing the web and see "PHPBB" everywhere they go? A bit of variety helps a lot.

And as for changing, well, there ain't database converters that make it 1-2-3 easy to switch between forum software once a day, you know, and to construct a database converter yourself would be a little more than difficult, not to mention tedious.

Once you've got a forum software you like, it's easiest to stick with it, especially with the amount of threads here.

metla
22-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Bad software is bad software.

Surely in your own experiences if you have something that doesnt gel on your system then you ditch if for another program that does the same job without the drama.

As for easy as 1-2-3?....Not my problem,nothing is as easy as 1-2-3.

If they can tweak it back to a reliable state then good on them,but at the moment,these poroblems are making a mockery of the entire forum.

And whats with taking personal offence to a statement that the forum software is junk?....lmfao,the proof is in the pudding.

stu140103
22-05-2003, 07:13 PM
I might get shot in the foot for saying this:

> And whats with taking personal offence to a statement
> that the forum software is junk?....lmfao,the proof
> is in the pudding.

metla, have you search this forum for post about Press F1 going down???? Because if you have, you would of see that they have had some problems with it & they have tried to fix it most of the timeÖ

Why donít we all stop knocking the forum software..

I think that Bruce will be locking this post soon, if we all donít stop flamingÖ

agent
22-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Just to be friendly, metla, you should use "lmao", not "lmfao". Or "rotflmao" and not "rotflmfao".

Not everyone on this site appreciates swearing.

Clueless
22-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Hey i know what the "f" stands for..
......but what do the rest of the letters mean???

.Clueless

Thomas
22-05-2003, 07:29 PM
It seems the nature of man to form apposing schools of thought,it's alright and it's not alright,personaly I can see merit in both arguments,if you took the negative out of both,you might get somewhere.

cyberchuck
22-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Talk about kicking things while they're down. Most people are greatful for the free things they get in life - there are always exceptions to the rule though. Ever heard of the phrase beggars can't be choosers?

Metla Wrote:
> ditch the software.
> All its proven is that its limited and likes to crash.
Strange isn't that how Apache is used worldwide and is a popular webserver. Does that mean that other webservers are exceptionally prone to crashes as well?? You can't be talking about the forum coding, because that's not software.

Dak2 Wrote:
> I regularly visit a large number of sites with forums and this is by far
> the worst I use, it's slow, has limited functions and crashes like you
> wouldn't believe
Limited functions - You can post, reply and change your account. What more do you want to do? Avatars aren't really a necessity for a PC help forum. Apart from that I'm not really seeing what the difference is between this forum and another one.
Crashes like I wouldn't believe :O - Wow! that's a new one. I've been around here for 1 year now and the only crash I have seen was the NullPointerException.
I find speed hard to believe as well. Considering the forum is hosted on a 10mbps internet connection and as most of the IDG staff are at home, you should be able to utilize whatever speed you have with your ISP to the PressF1 server

NZStan Wrote:
> Take for example the forum run by ICONZ Games
> (http://forums.iconz.co.nz/index.php). I have an
> account there and when I choose the LCARS template for my personal
> preference I am presented with a Star Trek style console. That is by far
> my most favorite template.
Woopdee doo! I can choose from 2 shirts to wear to school each day - both are grey, have buttons on the front and a pocket. The shirts do exactly the same thing, and everyone sees the same thing. The reason our school has a uniform is for uniformity so when people see our uniform/try to run over people wearing it/etc they instantly know what school I go to - everyone has the same. If everyone were to have their own templates then that would remove the uniformity for PF1. Also, PF1 doesn't really have the population to make something like that useful.

> The PCWorld forum is pretty buggy. I've lost count the number of times > it had errors. I assume it is a commercial forum? I paid nothing for my
> Open Source forum, took less than one day to set up and never had a
> programmer error crash. Maybe a server crash once in a while, but the
> software is 100% dependable.
Well believe it or not, IDG payed for this forum and the techs modded it to the layout it has now. Hence why the link to Jive Forums (http://www.jivesoftware.com/poweredby/) appears down the bottom of all the pages?
Also, there is No Such Thing as 100% dependable software - there is nothing around that is prone to errors and if you don't believe me then find out some of the stupid things I have done to programs with the intent to make them crash.

Metla Wrote (again):
> Bad software is bad software.
> Surely in your own experiences if you have something that doesnt gel
> on your system then you ditch if for another program that does the
> same job without the drama.
So I assume your not using Microsoft Windows for your OS both at home and at work? I am interested in what OS you are using though, as from my experiences all OS's have a point at which they are prone to crash.

> If they can tweak it back to a reliable state then good on them,but at
> the moment,these poroblems are making a mockery of the entire
> forum.
No. I would say people like you insulting the work that the techs at IDG are doing is making a mockery of the forum.

> And whats with taking personal offence to a statement that the forum
> software is junk?....lmfao,the proof is in the pudding.
I'm not going to enquire as to what you do to your body parts that you deem the necessity to put "f" in the "lmfao"...

CyberChuck

Clueless
22-05-2003, 07:48 PM
tssk tssk..
It's only been down every now and then for the last week and watch the people start getting withdrawls.

Conflict is often a sign that at least people think enough to have views!

Speaking as someone who has broken a server myself, i think it is very easy to critisize what we don't understand. Of course all the critics could do a better job.
Right??? WRONG.

Lets be encouraging and possitive.... K?

.Clueless

olldaddy76
22-05-2003, 07:49 PM
Hello Bruce
Take all the positive remarks to heart and take no heed of the negative.....But If my memory of the long past is true
"TWO NEGATIVES MAKE A POSITIVE".................!!

teddybear
22-05-2003, 07:50 PM
well said cyberchuck. I am a novice with computers and I like this forum for its basic plain layout, and the plain english in the posts. I like to know that I can ask again & again if I don't understand the replies, and someone will always help.

The patience of those that volunteer to help others is often unrewarded.

For those that don't like the way it is set up & managed, it is your choice or not to use the forum.

Clueless
22-05-2003, 07:52 PM
....And of course anyone who actually can do a better job, please post the URL of your efforts here so we can all benefit from your efforts as well as your critisisms.

:D

.Clueless

supergran
22-05-2003, 08:29 PM
Well even though I can't access everything here all the time, first sign of trouble on my puter, and where do I head? yep, here! Faults and all, F1 is for me. ;)

Dak2
22-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Like I said earlier, a lot of, lets say, non technical people come to this site to get help, what good is it to them if the damn thing is down all the time. And it's been down more than just a few times in the last few weeks. As for enough features, you can't even edit your own post!
And yes it is slow, and it's not my end. Coming to this site reminds me of the old 1200k modem days.

segfault
22-05-2003, 08:37 PM
> metla and the other guy (nzStan?) - who wants to be
> browsing the web and see "PHPBB" everywhere they go?
> A bit of variety helps a lot.

You don't have to see phpBB everywhere. It just happens that phpBB is displayed by default when the software is set up and the people who set up that forum didn't change the default logo.

Clueless
22-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Bollix that you can't edit your own post...
You can edit till your hearts content till you post it.

What good is putting something in a discussion forum that you can change after it has become availible for responce?

Bill said: a question
Mary said: an answer

Bill goes back in time, changes the question..

Bill said: a new question
Mary said: the same answer, but now it means nothing.

Just get it right first time, K?

.Clueless

agent
22-05-2003, 08:51 PM
1200K modems? Wow, that's blazingly fast! My modem only ever connects at 45.2K, and that's the top it's ever reached.

I'd like to enquire, just where the hell did you get a 1200K modem from? Has technology taken a downturn or something? :P

Anyway, to continue on...

CyberChuck said:
heaps of things.

I say:
why aren't you working yourself to death over studying?

And here's a special one just for Clueless: the second 'f' in "rotflmfao" is a swear word. It is an abbreviation for "rolling on the floor laughing my **** arse off", also commonly said as "laughing my arse off", or "lmao". Rather a bit of a weird acronym, isn't it.

agent
22-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Sorry, that should've been a :p

And **** should really be *******.

cyberchuck
22-05-2003, 09:00 PM
> Like I said earlier, a lot of, lets say, non technical people come to this
> site to get help, what good is it to them if the damn thing is down all
> the time.
Ain't it great how "Post New Topic" is up the top of the page?? Even if the forum is suffering a NullPointerException error then their post can still be handled and people can respond.

> And it's been down more than just a few times in the last few weeks.
> As for enough features, you can't even edit your own post!
Why would you need to edit your own posts? If you were to start swearing at me and then come back an hour later and edit your post what good would that do? In real life you can't edit the past hour so I don't know you've sworn at me. Hence why I usually work on the basis of treat others as I want to be treated and always look foward. They are the two things I live my life by. An example of this is my dad and I had a real big row the other day and I stormed out of the house. It was about 5 days ago, and I realize I lost the plot, as did he. It's in the past now and there is nothing that can be changed. I cannot go back in time and "edit" the row we had.

> And yes it is slow, and it's not my end. Coming to this site reminds me
> of the old 1200k modem days.
I just saved the main page of this website. It's 74.5KB including ads. So, doing some of my basic maths:
74.5KB*1024 = 76288kb (the page size in kilobits)
76288kb / 1200kbps = 63.573 seconds

Therefore your saying PressF1 loads in 63.573 seconds!?!
You might want to find another ISP or something man, because I can get in within 10 seconds and I'm on dialup!

Did you ever think that the speed might not be the connection of the server, but the fact that the server is also pulling tonnes of information from the database, writing to the database, etc at the same time as you request the forum page, which therefore requires more pulling information from the database?

Could you please post the specs of your computer (this is everything), because I find it hard to believe that you are complaining about a bottleneck on PressF1 when you have none yourself. If your on 56k dialup, then that's a bottleneck, if you have AGP4, that's another bottleneck, if your FSB is ~500Mhz, then that's potentially another bottleneck...

Funny isn't it how people often find faults with others property and problems then flaunt it around for the world to see, when they are too ignorant to realize their own faults

CyberChuck

agent
22-05-2003, 09:12 PM
And yet you still aren't studying? Geez, CC, I expected more of you :p ;)

Baldy
22-05-2003, 10:01 PM
> Hey i know what the "f" stands for..
> ......but what do the rest of the letters mean???
>
> .Clueless

LOL, what DOES the F stand for????? I only know what the R stands for

Baldy
22-05-2003, 10:08 PM
> > Like I said earlier, a lot of, lets say, non
> technical people come to this
> > site to get help, what good is it to them if the
> damn thing is down all
> > the time.
> Ain't it great how "Post New Topic" is up the top of
> the page?? Even if the forum is suffering a
> NullPointerException error then their post can still
> be handled and people can respond.
>
> > And it's been down more than just a few times in
> the last few weeks.
> > As for enough features, you can't even edit your
> own post!
> Why would you need to edit your own posts? If you
> were to start swearing at me and then come back an
> hour later and edit your post what good would that
> do? In real life you can't edit the past hour so I
> don't know you've sworn at me. Hence why I usually
> work on the basis of treat others as I want to be
> treated and always look foward. They are the two
> things I live my life by. An example of this is my
> dad and I had a real big row the other day and I
> stormed out of the house. It was about 5 days ago,
> and I realize I lost the plot, as did he. It's in the
> past now and there is nothing that can be changed. I
> cannot go back in time and "edit" the row we had.
>
> > And yes it is slow, and it's not my end. Coming to
> this site reminds me
> > of the old 1200k modem days.
> I just saved the main page of this website. It's
> 74.5KB including ads. So, doing some of my basic
> maths:
> 74.5KB*1024 = 76288kb (the page size in kilobits)
> 76288kb / 1200kbps = 63.573 seconds
>
> Therefore your saying PressF1 loads in 63.573
> seconds!?!
> You might want to find another ISP or something man,
> because I can get in within 10 seconds and I'm on
> dialup!
>
> Did you ever think that the speed might not be the
> connection of the server, but the fact that the
> server is also pulling tonnes of information from the
> database, writing to the database, etc at the same
> time as you request the forum page, which therefore
> requires more pulling information from the database?
>
> Could you please post the specs of your computer
> (this is everything), because I find it hard to
> believe that you are complaining about a bottleneck
> on PressF1 when you have none yourself. If your on
> 56k dialup, then that's a bottleneck, if you have
> AGP4, that's another bottleneck, if your FSB is
> ~500Mhz, then that's potentially another
> bottleneck...
>
> Funny isn't it how people often find faults with
> others property and problems then flaunt it around
> for the world to see, when they are too ignorant to
> realize their own faults
>
>
>
> CyberChuck

Can you repeat that LOL

Clueless
22-05-2003, 10:16 PM
> LOL, what DOES the F stand for????? I only know what
> the R stands for

I thought it was something else... but apparently it means "floor"

.Clueless

Pollly
22-05-2003, 10:18 PM
> [pre]Hey E.ric- I tried meditating on top of my
> computer
> but I keep banging my head on the underside of my
> desk.
> Guess the Lotus position is not for me.:8}

Try 69.

[b]Ooops!!! Sorry...wrong manual!! ]:)

E.ric
22-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Never mind Bruce

For a free service I think you are doing a great job, sorry you are having so much grief and sorry at the moment I have run out of sick humor.

Thomas
22-05-2003, 11:09 PM
>Never mind Bruce

>For a free service I think you are doing a great job, sorry you are >having so much grief and sorry at the moment I have run out of sick >humor.
And I had just about got you a job as a postie,ah well.

Bruce will be thinking,who is this twat,hope it's not to long b4 he goes away.

metla
23-05-2003, 12:10 AM
> Metla Wrote:
> > ditch the software.
> > All its proven is that its limited and likes to
> crash.
> Strange isn't that how Apache is used worldwide and
> is a popular webserver. Does that mean that other
> webservers are exceptionally prone to crashes as
> well?? You can't be talking about the forum coding,
> because that's not software.

Enlighten me,If the forum isnt software then what is it?....fairyware?

>
>
> Metla Wrote (again):
> > Bad software is bad software.
> > Surely in your own experiences if you have
> something that doesnt gel
> > on your system then you ditch if for another
> program that does the
> > same job without the drama.
> So I assume your not using Microsoft Windows for your
> OS both at home and at work? I am interested in what
> OS you are using though, as from my experiences all
> OS's have a point at which they are prone to crash.
>

Hers a tip,Assume nothing,but for whats its worth im currnetly running xp on all my systems,for what i need xp suits my my reqirements better then anything else,hence im using the best alternative.

as for the lmfao?....well,If you read an abbreviation in a certain way then thats your drama.Apply your definitions to your own reality and keep it to your selves.

nzStan
23-05-2003, 12:43 AM
I hope Bruce won't mind me straying away from the topic slightly.

In my line of work (in the IT business for over 15 years) I have come across many occasions where changes are not only required but unavoidable due to poor installation, wrong specification and frequently incorrectly matched system vs business requirement (or expectation).

I entered this thread (aka debate) with an open and honest opinion. No where in there was I trying to be sarcastic or attempt to perform character attack.

I find it offensive that some with good standing in this forum automatically assume the defensive position as soon as a change or even a negative feedback is posted.

Too often I had to challenge staff and managers with closed minds on business process, even if the process is costing the company too much time, money and manpower to address.

Yes, this forum is nice. so are many other forums.

Yes, this forum is easy to use, so are many other forums.

Yes, this forum do occasionally suffer bugs which causes IDG to go through the codes and databases to find the fault. Maybe some of the other forums too have these problems.

But I posted a honest and unbiase opinion.

Don't ask me to show case my work. I have done my share of websites and forums. I don't need to prove myself in this forum, for that was not my intention. I merely stated an opinion. You may feel free to flame me for all you want. You might feel very intelligent by posting remarks such as "woopeedoo", I'm sure that was most amusing for all to read.

But in the end, I was open with my opinion, for that is my choice.

nzStan
23-05-2003, 01:07 AM
On a more constructive note, Bruce, what does your forum or system administrator think of this system? Is it easy to manage or does it need frequent monitoring of the event logs?

Murray P
23-05-2003, 01:15 AM
That would be 181 don't you mean Polly? Must be a very old manual. Could be time for an upgrade, maybe an auto. :p

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
23-05-2003, 01:19 AM
Well presented Stan.

Cheers Murray P

E.ric
23-05-2003, 08:46 AM
> Bruce will be thinking,who is this twat,hope it's not
> to long b4 he goes away.
>
What's your problem mate?

You are not a Moslem from Iraq are you?

Why don't you just be grateful that there is a free forum, and maybe someone is getting stressed out fixing it, just so ungrateful people like you can moan and ***** and complain about it all the time.

Thomas
23-05-2003, 09:02 AM
My dear E.ric,I was not referring to you,so take one of your pills and a deep breath.This forum is all the better for having such a witty fellow as yourself to entertain us over the months and years.

E.ric
23-05-2003, 10:10 AM
> My dear E.ric,I was not referring to you,so take one
> of your pills and a deep breath.This forum is all the
> better for having such a witty fellow as yourself to
> entertain us over the months and years.

OK Thomas
I am very sorry then, and will assume all your comments have been friendly, in the past and in the future,

This reminds me once I was in a company van I was doing a U turn at blockhouse bay Road one winter night, and stalled the motor, because the company van was a company van, the battery was useless, for half an hour everyone that went past at peak traffic time at night on their way home tooted their horn at me, it got me so angry after half an hour I was yelling out at the top of my voice "TOOTING YOUR HORN, WILL NOT HELP ME MOVE THE CAR, WHY DON'T YOU GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER" I can not remember I might of said a few other "things" in a different way.

So my thoughts are:
So when things go wrong if one can help, "help" if you can not help, get on with life and try not to be unhelpful. and keep everyone happy

Thomas
23-05-2003, 10:34 AM
My dear E.ric,not only are you witty but it would seem wise as well,attributes I have always wished for myself.

Billy T
23-05-2003, 10:46 AM
And well you might Thomas, but life is journey and wisdom does not come till you reach W in the alphabet.

You seem to be stalled on S :|

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

joey
23-05-2003, 11:04 AM
nzStan, Iím the sys admin here at IDG. To answer your question yes itís easy to manage. The server itself has been up for 59 days, the web server, application server, security auth server and db server as all stable.

Just a note on speed for those enquiring above. If youíre having speed issues with PressF1, I can almost guarantee that itís not bandwidth at our end. Itís most probably database processing. The db task on the server is by far the most CPU intensive. I have a good indication of how quick the response times are and Iíd be surprised if anyone is waiting a minute for a page to come up. If they are Iíd like to know about it.

As for null pointer errors etc. Iím going to hold my tongue here. Weíve already said that weíre working on it. Everyoneís suggestions are taken as just that, suggestions.

Thanks E.ric, well put.

Thomas
23-05-2003, 01:53 PM
perspicacious as ever Billy,why would you say yours stopped at I;)
Life can be unfair.

Billy T
23-05-2003, 02:54 PM
?:| :|

beetle
23-05-2003, 03:29 PM
does the " I " stand for intelligent?

well done then forBilly T for having intelligence !!!!!

somebody round here needs it, including me at times.

and if we all be just a little patient and understanding PF1 will be up and running better than ever.
and i think its just fine the way it is. (when its running properly)

:D :p

beetle

stu140103
23-05-2003, 03:53 PM
We are all very lucky that PressF1 has not had the hdd die or a hacker getting in too do some damage & corrupt some of the database.

Forums are a funny bit of software.

True me I know.
I have just lost a good forum to hackers :( :_| & I do not have a backup of it either!!!!

Now I am back at square one :( :_|

So we are very lucky!!

That is my 5 cents for today :D

Chilling_Silently
23-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Well said Stu, I agree that we are very lucky to have something like this, and at no cost for membership, I dont think the people's of this forum should really be complaining.

I totally agree :-)

Pato
23-05-2003, 04:52 PM
I can put up with a few glitches. The site is great and I appreciate all the help I have had on here. Good luck.

Baldy
24-05-2003, 12:58 PM
>
> > [pre]Hey E.ric- I tried meditating on top of my
> > computer
> > but I keep banging my head on the underside of my
> > desk.
> > Guess the Lotus position is not for me.:8}
>
> Try 69.
>
> [b]Ooops!!! Sorry...wrong manual!! ]:)
>

What you up to over there in Tulipland Pollly 69er's on the monitor. The floor is much more comfortable

Baldy
24-05-2003, 01:08 PM
> Well said Stu, I agree that we are very lucky to have
> something like this, and at no cost for membership, I
> dont think the people's of this forum should really
> be complaining.
>
> I totally agree :-)

Chill, no-one is complaining. Just moaning. I myself prefer to do my moaning at night, or better still, listen to someone else moaning ;-)

Clueless
26-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Right now both my phone lines are dead, but my cable modem is still go, AND i can still access PF1

Yay!

.Clueless

summertime
26-05-2003, 10:08 PM
Thank you to all involved with this forum. I will wait as long as it takes. Newbies such as myself are are indeed fortunate to have such a wealth of experience offered by all you computer gurus at no cost. Thank you so much for your help and well done!