PDA

View Full Version : ADSL Modem drivers won't load

Sean Mac
20-05-2003, 05:02 PM
Hi everyone

Have been trying to install Dick Smith ADSL Ethernet Router in USB connect mode. When the modem is turned on it is detected as an unknowen device and Windows automatically loads a driver for an unknowen device completely ignoring the accutal drivers for the device even if I point to the drivers on the CD for it. If we try a manual install and go the 'Have Disk' route etc, when we select have disk and select the drivers and go the the compatable hardware list there are no options what so ever in the list no matter how many time we do it whether or not we ask for show compatible devices or show all devices. This happen with the driver disk and with drivers we downloaded from the net just in case.

Does anyone have any ideas? We know the thing works as my XP based system detects and loads it in seconds. Why can't the Windows 98 machine see the correct drivers? It states is works with Windows 98.

Cheers.

Kame
20-05-2003, 05:07 PM
If you read the manual, as with most USB Devices... it's required that you install the drivers first before plugging them in.

You'll need to update the driver of the device win98 installed and change it to this. It may show up as unknown or other or whatever, direct it to the CD and hopefully this fixes the problem.

Sean Mac
21-05-2003, 11:23 AM
> If you read the manual, as with most USB Devices...
> it's required that you install the drivers first
> before plugging them in.
>
> You'll need to update the driver of the device win98
> installed and change it to this. It may show up as
> unknown or other or whatever, direct it to the CD and
> hopefully this fixes the problem.

I read the manual and it states:
1. Plug the USB cable into your PC and the router
2. Turn on the router. You computer will detect the router and ask for drivers
3. Insert the XH7916 driver CD and navigate to the appropriate folder for your version of windows
.. and it goes on.

The problem is for some reason it does not ask for drivers, it just loads unknown device and when I tried the update driver, it failed to identify the drivers on the disk which it was directed to. Hense my cry for help here. On manual load there are no hardware options after using the have disk option.

Any other ideas anyone.

Kame
21-05-2003, 11:50 AM
I've forgotten a lot from Win98 but if I can remember correctly, you specify the location, and then you select have disk. If it's asking you for the type of device, select other? As long as you can choose the correct inf file that'll give you the options of which device you want to install.

Sean Mac
21-05-2003, 05:38 PM
> I've forgotten a lot from Win98 but if I can remember
> correctly, you specify the location, and then you
> select have disk. If it's asking you for the type of
> device, select other? As long as you can choose the
> correct inf file that'll give you the options of
> which device you want to install.

But that is my point. I am specifying the location and selecting the correct inf file and the options window that comes up is blank. I have never ever encountered this sort of thing ever before.

I think I may just be looking at a Windows reload which is a major pain as it is a business machine with all the hassles that go with that.

Thanks for your input though.

Cheers.

tweak\'e
21-05-2003, 06:17 PM
whats the specs of your pc?? MS has a few patches for USB on win98 to solve a few problems where usb dosn't reconnise the hardware being added.

Sean Mac
24-05-2003, 12:42 PM
> whats the specs of your pc?? MS has a few patches
> for USB on win98 to solve a few problems where usb
> dosn't reconnise the hardware being added.

Can't remember 100% (not my machine) but I think it's a Pentium 166 or 200 running Windows 98 and 64Mb RAM. No not the the latest and greatest but does the job for the guy.

Cheers.

Misty
24-05-2003, 09:30 PM
Is the ethernet router a Model XH7916 ??