PDA

View Full Version : Laptop doesnt work!

Polk
20-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Hey

Ok i just bought this second hand laptop which does not work (i knew that when i bought it, its going to be a little project for me :)) and I need to know how to get it to work.

What happen is when i plug it into the power supply the LCD on the right of the screen lights up with a symbol of a battery charging, good good, the i hit the power button and a little light lights up, ok fine, then nothing happens. Maybe a video problem?

I can only find 2 screws on the laptop, you can see them in the pic under the screen, and i can then take the screen 'cover' off and see a veiw wires, but i dont see any loose ones, well i see a veiw - maybe about 2 but they look like they were never connected to anything in the first place.

I think it is a Toshiba and it has Digital HiNote VP written on it.

I can provide more pics of needed.

Thanks!!!!!!

P.S
This is what the seller said about it not working: UNKNOWN REASON-THIS HAS ONLY HAPPENED RECENTLY.SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THEIR STUFF WITH COMPUTERS MAY BE ABLE TO SORT IT OUT.. it is powering up but nothing comes up on the screen.

Pic: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/adrianfu/lappy.jpg

Chilling_Silently
20-05-2003, 03:30 PM
Can you plug in an external monitor to it, and hit the Fn (Laptop model dependant..) and another key to switch to an external CRT screen.. make sure your LCD screen isnt buggered!

godfather
20-05-2003, 03:36 PM
> I think it is a Toshiba and it has Digital HiNote VP
> written on it.

Its a Digital brand, not a Toshiba

Digital (DEC) were bought out by Compaq, I think, who were then bought out by Hewlett Packard.

Certainly sounds like a display problem, at the very least.

godfather
20-05-2003, 03:40 PM
One of these, I guess

DigitalTM HiNoteTM VP 703

166MHz Pentium® processor with MMXTM technology,16MB SDRAM, 2GB hard disk drive, 256KB L2 cache, 13in. (330.2mm) ASTN XGA display, Windows® 95 preinstalled
FR-PJ7WI-AA
166MHz Pentium processor with MMX technology, 48MB SDRAM, 2.16GB hard disk drive, 256KB L2 cache, 13in. (330.2mm) ASTN XGA display, Windows NT Workstation preinstalled, CD-ROM drive optional
FR-PK7WI-AA
Digital HiNote VP 715

166MHz Pentium processor with MMX technology, 32MB SDRAM, 2.16GB hard disk drive, 256KB L2 cache, 13.3in. (337.8mm) XGA TFT screen, Windows® 95 preinstalled
FR-PJ2WI-AA
166MHz Pentium processor with MMX technology, 48MB SDRAM, 2.16GB hard disk drive, 256KB L2 cache, 13.3in. (337.8mm) XGA TFT screen, Windows NT® Workstation preinstalled
FR-PK2WI-AA

Digital HiNote VP 745

266MHz Pentium processor with MMX technology, 32MB SDRAM, 4.0GB hard disk drive, 512KB L2 cache, 13.3in. (337.8mm) XGA TFT screen, Windows 95 preinstalled
FR-PJ5WK-AA
266MHz Pentium processor with MMX technology, 48MB SDRAM, 4.0GB hard disk drive, 512KB L2 cache, 13.3in. (337.8mm) XGA TFT screen, Windows NT Workstation preinstalled
FR-PK5WK-AA

Digital HiNote VP 765

266MHz Mobile Pentium II processor with MMX technology, 32MB SDRAM, 4.0GB hard disk drive, 512KB L2 cache, 13.3in. (337.8mm) XGA TFT screen, Windows 95 preinstalled
FR-PJAWM-AA
266MHz Mobile Pentium II processor with MMX technology, 48MB SDRAM, 4.0GB hard disk drive, 512KB L2 cache, 13.3in. (337.8mm) XGA TFT screen, Windows NT Workstation preinstalled

Billy T
20-05-2003, 03:40 PM
If the battery symbol is actually on the LCD screen then that indicates that the screen can at least display some information.

Do you hear the HDD start up? Have you tried starting it with a boot disk in the FDD.

Unless you know something about laptops I wouldn't play too much. You can bet that whoever sold it to you knew that there was unlikely to be any easy layman's fix waitng for the new owner. If it was that easy they would have fixed it themselves and sold it for more.

I hope you didn't pay too much for it.

Cheers

Billy

Polk
20-05-2003, 03:54 PM
i dunno if i can hear the HD boot up....

I battery symbol that comes up is on a little LCD (on the right hand side of the screen as you can see in my pic), along with a veiw other symbols.

I plugged it into my monitor and hit FN and some other keys with it, nothing came up.

Adrian

Polk
20-05-2003, 04:09 PM
Heres the ad for the laptop:
DIGITAL HI-NOTE LAPTOP(LSS5100)pentium 100,16mb RAM,800 HHD
2X PCMCIA slots
3.5 floppy drive(internal)
battery/power supply(unknown battery life)
MODEM-28.8k pcmcia modem card
Have had win 95 and 98 running
Comes with carry bag but no manual or software

PANASONIC CDROM DRIVE (KXLD740) (external)4x SPEED,battery or power operated.Can be used as a discman.Slight crack on case,comes with power cord,pcmcia card/cord and drivers.Works well.

DIGITAL HI NOTE PORT REPLICATOR
(FR-PCP9E-BA)Brand new.

HP DESKJET 400 COLOUR PRINTER
Comes with power supply,accessories and drivers,works well good condition.No ink cartridges.
1x MICROSOFT MOUSE AND MOUSE PAD

And here some pics:

Of LCD on right of screen: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/adrianfu/lcd.jpg

Of underneath lappy, with a little cover taken off: http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/adrianfu/under.jpg

Graham L
20-05-2003, 05:50 PM
Try prayer? :-(

Laptops are not very easy to repair. They are diabolically difficult to take apart. I have taken two apart today. There are screws in places where you wouldn't think they have places.

My newer one's floppy decided to die. Is it easy to take the floppy out? NO. Can I find a replacment? I doubt it. My best bet shop had two ... one which had the cable finishing at the right place. The other had a cable which could be bent to get the MB end in the right place, but upside down.

My old laptop's floppy will fit. Just. And be held in with double sided tape.:D But I have to unsolder its cable, and then solder the flexcable from the dead one to it. Messy.

If you see nothing on an external monitor, things don't look good. Check that all connectors are in place. (Some of the flexcables ("printed tracks on clear film) have a little clip which holds them in the connector. Don't just pull hard. Try to lift the clip up at the ends of the connector.

Graham L
20-05-2003, 05:52 PM
Try prayer? :-(

Laptops are not very easy to repair. They are diabolically difficult to take apart. I have taken two apart today. There are screws in places where you wouldn't think they have places.

My newer one's floppy decided to die. Is it easy to take the floppy out? NO. Can I find a replacment? I doubt it. My best bet shop had two ... one which had the cable finishing at the right place. The other had a cable which could be bent to get the MB end in the right place, but upside down.

My old laptop's floppy will fit. Just. And be held in with double sided tape.:D But I have to unsolder its cable, and then solder the flexcable from the dead one to it. Messy.

If you see nothing on an external monitor, things don't look good. Check that all connectors are in place. (Some of the flexcables ("printed tracks on clear film) have a little clip which holds them in the connector. Don't just pull hard. Try to lift the clip up at the ends of the connector.

Polk
21-05-2003, 12:17 PM
I took it to a few techs and they say its not worth fixing.

Oh well, i will try and re-sell it and get one that works next time....

:(

Billy T
21-05-2003, 01:51 PM
That's OK Polk, turns out you bought a "buyin & sellin" computer instead of a "usin" computer. Just recycle it and do your bit for the economy.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)