PDA

View Full Version : Windows ME Explorer error in SHELL32.DLL

gaxxxa
20-05-2003, 01:51 AM
Hi

I've got a compaq laptop x government owned which was 'sanitised' by govt IT before being sold to me

it has Windows ME on it and nothing else

I get an "Explorer has caused an error in SHELL32.DLL" error when I try and access folders

I've tried re-installing ME (overinstalling not deleting first) with no improvement, and I've tried booting in safe mode and the same error appears

I've read various historical threads which gave me some clues, but so far nothing I have tried makes any difference

any ideas?

Gary

E.ric
20-05-2003, 03:32 AM
have you tried google, I put in "Explorer has caused an error in SHELL32.DLL" and got 525 resaults in 1/5 of a second, dam good isn't it.

Jen C
21-05-2003, 06:13 PM
Hi gaxxxa

Was that your complete error message? Nothing else about page faults or OE etc errors? Without more details SHELL32.DLL errors can be difficult to track down.

Has WinME just developed this problem, or did you inherit it when you purchased the laptop? I see you have already tried a System Refresh which did not fix the error. Since you currently only have windows installed, you may want to consider a complete reformat and reinstall if no one else has a better suggestion.

Cheers
Jen