PDA

View Full Version : When creating a new dialup connection -wont show the option, only broadband

PoWa
19-05-2003, 09:09 PM
I'm using XP Pro and I'm currently on JetStart adsl connected through a router. I want to test my old PCI 56k modem before I sell it off. Before it wasn't working at all because I never got the right driver type, but since then I found some new drivers and I want to test the card to make sure it works!

Anyway, I've installed the new drivers and I disabled my LAN connection. Now when I go to create a new dialup connection, it won't let me make a dialup one, only broadband. The other options are greyed out.

How do I make windows let me make a dialup connection again? I want to test it on this computer because I'm testing it to see if it specifically works with XP and disables the modem noise.

Thanks!

godfather
19-05-2003, 09:12 PM
Does the modem show up in device manager?

If there is no valid modem recognised, you will not be able to configure a dial-up connection. (Just tried with the same result you are getting)

PoWa
19-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Yes its in the device manager.

sam m
19-05-2003, 10:40 PM
How are you creating this dial up acct?
Try this way (if you havn't already).

Click on Start > Run, then type inetwiz then ok.
Follow prompts after that.

Good Luck

Jim B
20-05-2003, 12:29 AM
When you go to the new connection wizard either before of after it comes up not sure but sometimes you get a box requesting area code and possibly something else to enter.
I have found if you can complete this it then activates the Connect using a dialup modem option in the wizard.

Otherwise it is a major problem. This MS info here (http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q320558) may help but results with this are not generally great..

PoWa
21-05-2003, 03:03 PM
>How are you creating this dial up acct?
>Try this way (if you havn't already).

>Click on Start > Run, then type inetwiz then ok.
>Follow prompts after that.

Seems to start to set up the account as a dialup and I enter in all the correct settings, phone number, account name, password etc but when I get to:

"Type the name you want to use for this connection. This can be the name of your ISP or any name you want to use."

So I enter in anything, and it won't accept anything I put in. It comes up with this error message.

"dialupaccount" is not a valid name. The entry name must contain at least one character that is not a space and cannot begin with a period. Choose a different name.

Consequently I can't proceed with the rest of the wizard :\

I tried the MS thing, but I don't want to delete the telephony thing just yet and have to reinstall windows..

falvrez
21-05-2003, 08:17 PM
I had this exact same problem on a laptop after an upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro (for domain login).
If you did do an upgrade let me know and I'll dig out the MS help page for this problem that I had...known problem blah blah blah.

PoWa
21-05-2003, 09:31 PM
Well, about a 2 weeks ago, I did a full repair of windows XP because XP wouldn't start after I installed Win2000 Advanced server. (Probably erased the MBR).

Mattrix
22-05-2003, 12:13 AM
I had that problem after doing a refresh, I found an article here... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320558