PDA

View Full Version : Music CDs with BMG Copy Control

RICHARD.ABBOTT
19-05-2003, 08:32 PM
I bought a CD at the weekend to listen to on hi fi and PC. On putting into the PC it installed some software without permission. While it played for a while, my PC then hung. Subsequently I can't get RealPlayer and RealJukeBox to work. I double-click and nothing happens. I use RealJukeBox to encode music I and a friend make and dub to video. I checked on the internet and found references to Copy Control by BMG, which has caused a consumer backlash in Europe. And I can see why! I've never ripped a CD in my life and now my PC is trashed... The CD is marked with a Copy Control sticker. Any clues on getting rid of this music industry virus?

robsonde
19-05-2003, 09:23 PM
try spy-bot and see what you can remove.

any signs as to what was installed??

what was the CD??

Bazza
19-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Hi Richard. The May issue of Consumer magazine explains the problems with "Copy controlled" CD's, stating that they have been a disaster.

The issue explains the problem you have, in that when playing the CD on a computer, it requires player software included on the CD to be installed, sometimes with resulting problems & crashes.

If you can obtain a copy of that issue it deals with other problems, and outlines consumer's rights. It's worth a read.

Chilling_Silently
19-05-2003, 11:35 PM
Richard>

If its possible, a cable from a CD (Or stereo's) Line-Out into your SoundCard's Line-In... open a recording program (http://www.goldwave.com is good) and save the files works if its causing crashes.

And the software I used on some of them resembles WinAmp.. It doesnt install anything for me though?

kiwibeat
20-05-2003, 12:16 PM
You could try system restore if you are using XP or ME , I keep a image of my C: drive so in the event this sort of thing happens its a 10 min restore job as opposed to a format and reinstall which can take up to over 5 hours