PDA

View Full Version : Maxtor Hard Disk Space Recognition

jammy
19-05-2003, 01:08 PM
I have had a major hard disk failure, so replaced my 8 gb Maxtor with a 30 gb Maxtor

The OS is Win 98SE

My problem is that I can only get about 2-3 gb of the hard disk recognised.

How can I free up the remaining 28 gb?

Thank you

Jammy

kiwibeat
19-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Try partition magic that easily reconfigures HDD's

drcspy
19-05-2003, 02:24 PM
question .............is it only recognising the 2-3 gigs at the bios level or the windoze level ?

Cause if you formatted it as Fat16 then it will only recognise a little over 2 gigs if you formatted it as fat32 it should recognise more......maybe there's also a bios limitation in your system such as 8.4 gigs etc however........let us know if it's a bios limitation or what.........also goto your bios setup screen and try setting the drive to 'auto' if that dont work try inputting the CHS numbers manually.....

and if that all dont work goto maxtor.com and download their 'maxblast' that should fix it............more info will be appreciated

drcspy
19-05-2003, 02:25 PM
oh yep and partition magic while it's VERY good costs quite a bit of money and it WONT make your system see above any other preceeding limitation like bios problems

drcspy
19-05-2003, 02:27 PM
third thought............since you had an 8.4 gig before then I'll just about guarantee you that you've formatted the current 30 gig with Fat16 cause otherwise it would show up at least 8.4 (this is upto the bios limit)

drcspy
19-05-2003, 02:29 PM
oh yeh and since you are running 98 it will have 'driveconverter' on it so just goto start/programs/accessories/system tools/driveconvt and run that to change to fat 32