PDA

View Full Version : OT-Shades of Mission Imposible!

Kiwitas
19-05-2003, 12:26 PM
Found this at Neowin earlier,Very smart?

Walt Disney slipping DVD's a Mickey!

That is the warning Walt Disney will issue this August when it begins to "rent" DVDs that are set to become unplayable after two days and that therefore do not have to be returned.

Disney home video unit Buena Vista Home Entertainment will launch a pilot movie "rental" program in August that uses self-destruction technology, the company said Friday.

The discs stop working when a process similar to rusting makes them unreadable. The discs start off red, but when they are taken out of the package, exposure to oxygen eventually turns the coating black and makes it impenetrable by a DVD laser.

Buena Vista hopes the technology will let it crack a wider rental market, since it can sell the DVDs in stores, or almost anywhere, without setting up a system to get the discs back.

The discs work perfectly for the two-day viewing window, said Flexplay Technologies, the private company that developed the technology using material from General Electric.

The technology cannot be hacked by programmers who would want to view the disc longer, because the mechanism that closes the viewing window is chemical and has nothing to do with computer technology.

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

honeylaser
19-05-2003, 12:49 PM
Would be a good idea, if DVD's were recyclable. I wouldn't support it for environmental reasons. Looking at how many DVD's we rent a month, I can just imagine the used disks stacking up...

csinclair83
19-05-2003, 12:59 PM
it says it cannot be hacked..
they said that about winxp activiation..and its being hacked...
they said that about alot of things...

its just stopid

Graham L
19-05-2003, 01:56 PM
Easy. Just install the reader in a vacuum tank. Or easier, just have a nitrogen bottle, and a big plastic bag. :D

Lohsing
19-05-2003, 02:06 PM
Or rip it as an image to your hard drive and wait until discs get bigger than the 4.7gb limitation currently.

Lo.

PoWa
19-05-2003, 02:21 PM
What evil company invented this? This would have to be one of the stupidest inventions ever made. Who the hell is going to buy a dvd that will self distruct in a few days? The cost of the disc would be about $10 itself, making the total cost to hire most likely around $15. Well you can get 2 normal dvd hires for that, and they won't destroy themselves!

Besides, whats to stop anyone, from buying the thing, using dvd decrypter/Smartripper and getting the files onto your hard drive, then using a dvd burner, make a perfect 1:1 copy.

Lohsing
19-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Actually, the cost of a disc is closer to $1. Sigma DVD-R's come from China at $1 per disc (wholesale).

Personally, I have bought Ritek DVD-R in spindles of 50 at $180 incl GST.

Lo.

Lohsing
19-05-2003, 02:35 PM
> Besides, whats to stop anyone, from buying the thing,
> using dvd decrypter/Smartripper and getting the files
> onto your hard drive, then using a dvd burner, make a
> perfect 1:1 copy.

Actually, it's designed for rental in mind. As for making a perfect 1:1 copy... unless the image size is under 4.37gig, you're not going to be able to make a perfect 1:1 copy without either stripping subtitles etc, or re-encoding the video streams.

The actual thread I read this on is here (http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7183) courtesy of CDFreaks.com. It's from Disney, and it's a self destructing 48 hr DVD rental...

Lo.

Chilling_Silently
19-05-2003, 02:56 PM
They actually came up with that idea over 6 months back, but its nice to see they're still pressing on with it..

To date, AFAIK, All copy protection can be bypassed in a certain way.. but that's besides the point..

Blank DVD Disc's cost almost as little as CD-R's. I bought a Looney Tunes DVD for $5 with a nice case, cover etc...

They must have to sell a lot to make a buck of that ;-)

-=JM=-
19-05-2003, 07:50 PM
If it can be played it can be copied. I'd like to see them come across some method that stops the use of a video camera.

PoWa
19-05-2003, 09:40 PM
>Actually, it's designed for rental in mind. As for making a perfect 1:1 copy... unless the image size is under 4.37gig, you're not going to be able to make a perfect 1:1 copy without either stripping subtitles etc, or re-encoding the video streams.
>Lo.

There are dvd copying programs around that make 1:1 copies. And there are also programs for just copying the movie itself. Besides who really cares about the fancy menus they have, people want the movie itself! You could always copy the movie, and Xvid it too.

If dvd size is an issue for making a 1:1 copy, blue ray technology isn't far off, and neither are discs/dvd rewriters which allow dual layer, double sided dvds.

And I agree with whoever said it earlier, this will just create more rubbish for the planet.

Lohsing
19-05-2003, 09:52 PM
> There are dvd copying programs around that make 1:1
> copies. And there are also programs for just copying
> the movie itself. Besides who really cares about the
> fancy menus they have, people want the movie itself!
> You could always copy the movie, and Xvid it too.

DVDXCopy and DVD Decrypter will make 1:1 copies. DVD2DVD-R will let you copy just the movie itself... actually, DVD Decrypter can let you copy just the movie too.

> If dvd size is an issue for making a 1:1 copy, blue
> ray technology isn't far off, and neither are
> discs/dvd rewriters which allow dual layer, double
> sided dvds.

Blu-Ray technology has already been superceded. Plus it's too expensive for Joe Average consumer.

Double sided DVD's already exist, but aren't the greatest. Dual layer writing on the same side of the disc?? Sounds improbable with current technology, but who knows... in another 6 months, DVD writing could be at that level.

> And I agree with whoever said it earlier, this will
> just create more rubbish for the planet.

Yup... definitely.

Lo.