PDA

View Full Version : Should my Jetstart usage meter be running when my PC is shut down.

john r
18-05-2003, 07:00 PM
I have recently had Jetstart connected and have noticed about 10mb is added to my usage meter over night with my PC shut down but my router is still powered up, do I need to turn off the router to stop all traffic.
Any info appreciated,
john r.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-05-2003, 07:07 PM
Yes.

Murray P
18-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Yep apparently. Got it networked? I heard somewhere (around here or dls list or...) that depending on your setup your usage can still go up if you have a network running thru your router. Do a search of PF1 for usage or Jetsteam/jetsart usage.

Someone here will know for sure!

Cheers Murray P

godfather
18-05-2003, 07:44 PM
With my ADSL router connected to my LAN, there is periodic traffic (every 10 seconds or so) showing on the router. Even with all PCs shut down.

I have always assumed it is a "heartbeat" function to check the router is still up, so that the ISP knows if they can re-allocate the IP address.

As I barely exceed 1 GB of the 5 GB cap, and the traffic as above would be national anyway and would not count, I don't worry about it, I never turn the router off.

john r
18-05-2003, 08:01 PM
thanks all for the info,
I will try it with the router off as I am trying to see if I can stay under 500 mb so I can go from Jetstart to home 500.
john r.