PDA

View Full Version : Modem Noise in win XP

nav2u
18-05-2003, 05:27 PM
i am using a Conexant chipset internal v90 voice fax modem , the modem was working perfectly as long as i had win ME but recently when i formated my computer and installed win XP PRO the modem stopped working so i got the latest drivers which were digitally signed by Microsoft. Now the modem works and it connects perfectly fine but whenever I connect to the internet it makes the noise that a modem makes when it is dialing continously. It makes this noise all the time whenever I connect. When I disconnect it goes away. The modem speaker is also set to off. Please advise me as I am a frequent downloader of humungous softwares and letting my modem work even though this problem is present might result in it's failiure.

agent
18-05-2003, 05:38 PM
Are you meaning to say that it continues to make the staticy sounds for the whole duration that you are connected to the internet, or only when dialing?

I have a Conexant chipset, and it makes the noise during dialing despite the modem speaker being turned off.

PoWa
18-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Yeah I had the same problem with one of those conexant modems. I managed to fix it but it still had a lot of problems. Eventually got fed up with it and got adsl.

Anyway what you need to do is, unscrew your case, and look at the modem card itself. Read the telepermit sticker, and find out what type of modem it actually is, and model number. Write that down, and keep it handy. XP doesn't actually tell you what type of make and model it is. AIDA might however.

Anyway go to http://www.driverguide.com
and login under the member login link.

login: driver
password: all

Search for your modem and model number for your WinXP OS. Download whatever one there which bests suits you. Read what others have written about it. It will say if it stops the modem noise or not. Download that and install, reboot and you should be sweet!

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Conexant modem in Win XP screeching all the time the modem is connected.

It does not respond to modem sound off and does not respond to M0 in extra settings.
There is a modem driver that works with the Conexant and stops the noise.

Right click the modem in device manager .
Update driver
Select - install from list - don't search etc - select modem -
Generic - fujitsu LB RWModem V9056K E

PoWa
19-05-2003, 09:47 PM
DONT INSTALL THAT FUJITSU driver. :) Causes nothing but trouble after a few weeks. Sure it disables the screeching but after a few weeks you will get constant disconnects, and then not be able to connect at all.

Do what I said.

nav2u
19-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Hey PoWa, in driverguide.com there is no listing for any device made by the manufacturer Conexant?? I am still in need of help regarding this. Please help.

tweak\'e
19-05-2003, 11:28 PM
nav2u- re read this.....

>unscrew your case, and look at the modem card itself. Read the telepermit sticker, and find out what type of modem it actually is, and model number. Write that down, and keep it handy. XP doesn't actually tell you what type of make and model it is. AIDA might however.

conexant is the chip manafacture not the modem manafacture. you need to find the actual modem manafacture which is a pain in the **** with noname modems. if all esle fails you can try a generic driver from conexant but the noise problem is a comman side effect and it may not support all features of your modem.

PoWa
19-05-2003, 11:40 PM
If driverguide won't find conexant, thats ok, just leave it on 'all manufacturers' and it will still search fine.

Have you looked inside your case at it yet? If you can't read the telepermit sticker, you may have to pull the card out of its slot to get a better look. Grab it by the edges of course.

I'm afraid thats the only way to be sure of what the model number is. AIDA won't even tell you, I just checked.

Kame
19-05-2003, 11:52 PM
I have to agree with PoWa, I tried the Fujitsu driver and was problematic all over again.

I recommend shoving a Audio Mini Jack in the speaker audio hole of the modem or snipping the wires if you think you'd never want the modem sound on. Saves fussing around, and I was thinking the Fujitsu driver was going to stop me doing this but apparently it just frustrated me more.

nav2u
21-05-2003, 11:04 PM
I have tried everything, I have tried getting divers from driverguide.com and other sites as well but it still gives me the same static noise. I even tried the Fujitsu driver, it worked but as you said it disconnects itself, which rarely ever happens to my computer. I have even tried plugging in a Mini Jack in the speaker audio hole of the modem but it makes no difference. Please advise me if there is any other possible way of getting rid of this noise.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
21-05-2003, 11:26 PM
Try the Fujitsu driver with a modem string like +ms=v34 or AT-V90=0 (my favourite for conexant based mdoems)

PoWa
22-05-2003, 12:01 AM
Post us your Modem Make and model number and we will find a driver for you.

Pheonix
22-05-2003, 10:28 AM
If you go to the diagnostic TAB of your modem, I think it is , AT17 and AT16 give you the software/firmware version and it is usually tied to the manufacturer (search on google)

PoWa
22-05-2003, 03:37 PM
>If you go to the diagnostic TAB of your modem, I think it is , AT17 and AT16 give you the software/firmware version and it is usually tied to the manufacturer (search on google)

Well that information isn't very helpful because windows can't tell you your modem make and model number, so therefore you don't even know what type of modem driver to download in the first place.

Nav2u post us your modem make and model number.

e.g PureTek PT-3515 or something similiar.

Pheonix
22-05-2003, 07:21 PM
And if it doesn't have a label or markings on the board powa? Believe me, this works as I have recently obtained a driver for an ISA type modem this way.

nav2u
22-05-2003, 11:44 PM
Ok the modem is made by some company known as Jetcom, and it has a Conexant chipset(i know this because when i was using WIN ME it always installed the drivers from the cd with the name 'Conexant V.90 fax voice modem' something like this) obviously it is an internal modem and as you asked me to check what numbers it has on its chip well i did not understand what all was there so i copied down everything and all this comes from the top of the chip( there was no other number on the rest of the modem board)
RS 56/SP_PCI
R6 793-11
E101955.1
The numbers listed above are all in the same order as they are on the chip, if there is anything else please let me know. I have also searched the net quite a lot to get some other drivers signed and unsigned but all that i got either did not work or made no difference to the noise.

godfather
23-05-2003, 12:11 AM
Been there, done that with several PC upgrades to XP.

The modem chip numbers are unlikely to yeild a result. They almost all use connexant chips, but its the portion of firmware that differs, and that is not usually identifiable. Its interesting that it has not got a Telecom approval "tick" sticker with a number on the board, as that suggests its not approved for use here anyway?

The modem will make a satisfying "clunk" when you toss it in the rubbish bin.

There are some brandless PCI winmodems that just will not operate under XP, at least not in any reliable manner.

If you replace it, try and buy an external RS232 serial connected hardware modem. You will have no further problems, and a much more reliable solution. They are more expensive however you get what you pay for.

metla
23-05-2003, 12:16 AM
Conexant have a little app to identify your modem,works very well.

But,there aint no xp drivers for your card,ive been through the same song and dance with a number of clients.

You can pick up a cheap modem for 25 bucks and save yourself some grief.

Darcy
23-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Hi All,

Well I've had the same problem as well, same thing upgraded from ME to XP Pro (brought a PC Company computer)
And obviously got this ****** tinny conexant chipset modem.

I installed a Generic Driver from DriverGuide and have been haunted by the hissing ever since. Tried everything everyones suggested but alas no luck, was ready to bin the modem and buy another cheap one.

But saw the comment by one of the previous dudes about plugging in a mini-jack audio plug and by golly it worked, HISSINGS GONE!!! (muted i should say!)

THANK YOU!!

I love this site................

Darcy