PDA

View Full Version : Hub or Switch

BootyLicious
18-05-2003, 04:24 PM
What is better Hub or Switch?

i have a 10mb hub but someone said a switch would be faster, But the man at dse.co.nz said the hub was better.So who is right?

Chilling_Silently
18-05-2003, 04:40 PM
The man at DSE doesnt know what he's talking about!

A Switch operates by giving the Data a direct Line, as such, between the two PC's that are sharing the data.

The Hub however, goes by trial an error, asking each port on the hub "Do you want this data?". If they say yes, then it sends the data, if it says no, then the data gets passed on to the next port on the Hub.

Hubs will slow down with each new PC added to the Hub.
A switch will not!

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-05-2003, 04:46 PM
> What is better Hub or Switch?
>
> i have a 10mb hub but someone said a switch would be
> faster, But the man at dse.co.nz said the hub was
> better.So who is right?

There is a man at dse.co.nz??

Switch > Hub

Switch Speed > Hub Speed

Switch $$ > Hub $$

Switch Reliability > Hub Reliability

however in most normal domestic installations you'd never know the difference.

Murray P
18-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Swicth for sure. The man at DSE is :p

There's very little price diff. 10/100MB auto switching with Nway is what you want to look for. This will automatically switch the most efficient mode of transferring your data. But it will depend in part on what you are running elsewhere on your system eg. if you have a 10MB/s ethernet card it will only make a mariginal diff by increasing the efficiency of the data packet transfers. + the switch gives more advantage the more you have connected to your network.

BTW something to beware of with DSL routers with built in hubs. Check the speed if youre going to run your local network off it.

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silently
18-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Agreed, unless you were streaming 128KBPS or higher MP3's, then a 10MBPS Hub shouldnt lag too much with only 2-5 users on it :-)

100MBPS switch is what I have though, and for $60 for a 5 Port, I use my Network a LOT, so it was worth it!

falvrez
18-05-2003, 06:29 PM
"BTW something to beware of with DSL routers with built in hubs. Check the speed if youre going to run your local network off it."

Murray, do you simply mean to check if the built in hub is 10mb or 100mb or some other aspect?
I nearly bought one of those Nokia (?) adsl router/hubs from DSe for $200 until I saw they were only 10mbs. The I spotted those DSE router/hubs which are 100mpbs for teh same price...have got one coming, but now you have me worried!

bmason
18-05-2003, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't reccomend a DSE switch. I bought an 8 port one when they were cheap in december (IIRC).

Port 8 has crapped out, and 6/7 is dodgey. I will be taking it back when I get around to it (and the $20 keyboard which just crapped out after <6 weeks).

Only good thing about it was being able to mix crossover & patch cables.

Murray P
18-05-2003, 08:02 PM
falvrez.

That's right, check the speed. The better ones are putting in switches now anyway. But I prefer a sep switch/hub myself, have this notion that its more flexable and will be cheaper if I upgrade to, say, WiFi but only because I haven't spent as much on the modem i'd be replacing, if you can follow that logic :)

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silently
18-05-2003, 09:04 PM
Agreed Murray!

Graham L
19-05-2003, 01:32 PM
If you have only 2 computers in your network there is no difference in the speed. If you have two computers and an ADSL router you won't notice any difference.

The 10 MHz is shared between all users. If you have a big enough network to get collisions, a switch will make a difference.

Hardware quality might make a difference, but most digital electronics
either works or not. If it doesn't, you use the guarantee.

A cleap switch will be as reliable as a cheap hub. Better gear usually looks and feels (its's heavier ;-)) better.

Chilling_Silently
19-05-2003, 02:58 PM
My collision light flashed once every 1 1/2 seconds when I had a 4 port 10mbps hub with two PC's connected if I was streaming MP3's.. or even transferring more than a meg of data!