PDA

View Full Version : floppy's

multi
18-05-2003, 09:40 AM
Sorry I also want to get some photo's put on to a floppy disc so I can e-mail them to my friends but when I put the disc in and go on to my A drive it tells me its not formatted and will not let me format it????

Peter H
18-05-2003, 09:53 AM
Make sure that the disc is not "write protected". ie hole in the corner must be covered.
Bye

multi
18-05-2003, 09:56 AM
Thanks for that there are 2 square holes one is covered the other is open do I have to cover that?

drcspy
18-05-2003, 09:58 AM
can you read floppies ?

possibility is that the floppy drive has been listed wrongly in the bios......
when you start the puter look for somethign that says somethign like 'to enter setup press 'del ' ................
do that then in the bios screen check that your floppy is listed as a 1.44 meg etc......

multi
18-05-2003, 10:06 AM
The formatting windaow has popped up saying capacity 1.44 Mb(3.5") format type quick (erase),,full and copy system files only when I press start it tells me that my capacity does not match or that there is no disc inserted!!

Steve Askew
18-05-2003, 10:31 AM
It is possible that the disc has deteriorated & it's no longer any good.
I had a sealed box of unused 3 1/2 " flopppys recently that were purchased from a garage sale & every disc failed when I tried to put files on them.
Yet some old discs I have work fine.

Have you tried to run scandisk on the floppy disc?

Perhaps you should try some other floppys to rule out your A:\ Drive or try your disc in another computer.

Cheers Steve

multi
18-05-2003, 10:36 AM
yea I think thats it. It was one that my boss in the UK put my CV on about 6 months ago. I thought it was proberbly because it was a UK 1 that it wasnt compatable here. All i want to do is to load some pic on it and send them to me mates in the UK. Cheers Steve :)

Steve Askew
18-05-2003, 10:45 AM
Hey Multi, There's another way, email them ;)

multi
18-05-2003, 10:47 AM
I dont have a scanner yet though.

Steve Askew
18-05-2003, 10:51 AM
yea I think thats it. It was one that my boss in the UK put my CV on about 6 months ago. I thought it was proberbly because it was a UK 1 that it wasnt compatable here.

Just a thought ,Is it possible the disk was created on an APPLE MAC?

I think Mac floppys arn't compatible with PC's, I could be wrong

Cheers Steve

Steve Askew
18-05-2003, 10:54 AM
I dont have a scanner yet though.

To put a picture on a floppy in the first place it must be on your computer?

multi
18-05-2003, 10:59 AM
I was going to get the pics developed straight on to the disc at the photo place though

Peter H
18-05-2003, 11:10 AM
Re Square holes. Only 1 should have a slider on it - left one should be covered.
Bye

Billy T
18-05-2003, 12:40 PM
There seems to be some conflicting advice here multi, so starting from the beginning:

1) Looking at the top of the disk with the front facing away from you, the left-hand hole has a sliding cover and should be closed. The right-hand hole is always open.

2) Try any other floppy disk and see if you can read the contents. Use Windows Explorer and double click on floppy disk A:. Watch and see if your disk drive light comes on and if it doesn't, go to 5.

3) If the light does come on, your computer is at least trying to access the disk in that drive so look in the Explorer window to see the contents of that disk. If nothing appears, the disk is either empty or you could have a drive reading problem. To check this go to 4:

4) Either open a file in your WP and save a copy to A:, or drag and drop any small file to A: using Explorer. The drive light should come on and you should hear the disk writing the file. Repeat step 3 and see if the file appears. If it does, try the same with your suspect floppy and if you don't get the file appearing, dump the disk as it is probably knackered.

5) If your drive doesn't show any signs of life at all, reboot your computer and watch the initial screens to see if the floppy drive is being recognised. You should see a brief reference to "1.44 mb floppy drive A:" appear at some point. If it doesn't, reboot again and go into the setup screens. There are several ways of doing this so check your computer or motherboard manual. DRCSPY mentioned one way of getting to them.

Once you are there, check that your floppy disk drive is enabled. If it is, then it may have died. They cost peanuts so either buy another or take your computer to a suitable repair shop and get it checked/replaced.

To shortcut the whole process and save a lot of uncertainty, you could always take your floppy to another computer and get it checked, though that won't tell you if your floppy drive is not enabled in the setup screens.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

multi
18-05-2003, 01:20 PM
Cheers Billy I think you just covered everything. I appreciate your help talk to ya soon ha? I'll let ya know what happens.....