PDA

View Full Version : voice pc to pc

wyndra
17-05-2003, 11:53 PM
I have windows 98 with Internet explorer 5.0 and am using MSN Messenger 5.0.My problem is I have a headset with mike that I would like to use to chat with on MSN but am unable to get any sound or contact.I have checked that I am using the correct sockets ,I have also turned my firewall off when I am trying to use it,I have also gone into volume control-options-properties and ticked the mike box.
How come I cant hear anything or vice versa, help guys.

Chilling_Silently
18-05-2003, 12:07 AM
Could be blocked by your ISP.. Your 'friends' PC... could be a number of things...

Does it work with anybody else??

wyndra
18-05-2003, 12:33 AM
my friend already uses her mike so its not that end,have checked with my ISP as well ,should I be able to get any sound when I play a Cd or hear music on the net?

Chilling_Silently
18-05-2003, 12:41 AM
When you're in the converstation with a friend, do your PC's actually connect?

Chilling_Silently
18-05-2003, 12:45 AM
Hmm... Lets run thru a checklist of things:

First, you both need to be able to play sounds... check you can do that!

Can you both record sounds by using Sound Recorder (under Accessories\Entertainment)

Are your PC's connecting?

Then - Can you hear each other talking?

Get back with the answers for that :-)

Cheers

Chill.

wyndra
18-05-2003, 06:58 PM
thanks for your help so far,now we can both get sound and she has no problem communicating with others from her end,the fault lies with me,I did a voice recording and cannot hear it at all on my earphone and can barely hear it on the desktop speaker with the sound full on,even then it is very bluured

wyndra
18-05-2003, 07:02 PM
I can get sound fine through my desk top speakers fine,music(CDs) and sound off the computor and I have had a voice mail

stu140103
18-05-2003, 09:18 PM
MSN messenger at the moment is not the best at doing voice
It may improve in version 6.0

If you want to do voce I suggest you use yahoo messenger, it works like a treat! :)

wyndra
18-05-2003, 09:31 PM
thanks for that,will try if there is no other way

The ResinMaster
18-05-2003, 11:15 PM
Yahoo is a far better, I use it all the time, It would be the way to go, always fast good connections and video is excellent

Kiwitas
19-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Hi wyndra,
Something you need to check is that you modem supports
"Full Duplex"!
I don't use voice chat very often,but find that Yahoo is usually better than MSN!

Alternatively you might try PalTalk,who have on-line helpers
prepared to talk you through the settings etc.

Once you get everything sorted with them,you will find voice works with
them all and then un-install the ones you don't want?

Cheers,Kiwitas,;-)

wyndra
19-05-2003, 02:47 PM
thanks for that info,will look at them all.cheers

Terry Porritt
20-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Stu and others are quite right, Yahoo Messenger is excellent. Just had a first time test voice/video conference, worked first time, no fiddling, no abstruse settings, works through a Dynalink RTA220 router with NAT, no ports to open. Received files etc. Infinitely better than NM or MSN with my Win98SE +router set up.

Thanks all for the tip.