PDA

View Full Version : How to clean your CPU and Motherboards heatsink?

PoWa
17-05-2003, 10:29 PM
I heard from a friend a few weeks ago that you should probably clean your computer's heat sink every 3 months or so? Apparently they collect a lot of dust?? And the cpu and motherboard will be getting very hot.

Well I haven't ever done anything like this and I've had my computer for nearly 2 years now.

What are some practical steps to clean this heatsink out? And is it really necessary!?

Cheers,
PW

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-05-2003, 10:34 PM
If it's dusty it will be helpful to clean it, the procedure will depend on what type of processor/heatsink fan combination...

Generally an air compressor, vaccuum cleaner, or small brush would do the trick...

But if you aren't familiar with opening a case I wouldn't reccomend starting now.

PoWa
17-05-2003, 10:41 PM
I'm familiar with opening a case believe me.

Does this heatsink require unscrewing etc??

somebody
17-05-2003, 10:53 PM
Try doing it without removing the heatsink. A vacuum cleaner and a small brush - maybe try holding the vacuum cleaner hose on one end of the heatsink, and get a squeezy bottle (empty) and squeeze air through it??

Chilling_Silently
17-05-2003, 10:55 PM
The heatsink I do not think would really require it.

It could use it on the sprongs I guess, they can collect a ton of dust. The Fan too I guess to keep it going smoothly.

There would be no need to remove anything, as there is not much of a chance dust can get between the HeatSink and the CPU, so dont fret yourself there.

Compressed Air.. AKA Air in a Can would do good to clean it, otherwise a very soft pastry brush does the trick for cleaning most components such as that.

I personally would be more worried about dust in your PSU than heatsink!?

tweak\'e
17-05-2003, 10:58 PM
i never like useing vacuum cleaners. a "can of air" is better. i just use a clean paint brush.

tweak\'e
17-05-2003, 10:59 PM
i should add don't forget the chipset heatsink. i just had mine die, fully chock full of dust (country roads for ya).

metla
17-05-2003, 11:00 PM
i destroy hardware on such a reguler basis it never gets to collect dust....

Its a gift,cant be taught im afraid.....Maybe one day ill put the sides back on my case......