PDA

View Full Version : Acer/Mirascan Flatbed Scanner

Cleopatra
17-05-2003, 10:26 AM
My first post so go easy on me guys.

I have an Acer/Mirascan USB flatbed scanner model 320U. For no apparent reason, on trying to start it, I get a popup box which says "Scanner not found, ensure power is on and all cables are firmly plugged in".

This computer has 4 USB outlets and all of them work when I plug in a digital camera, which is the only other USB device I have, besides the scanner of course.

I removed all of the software related to the scanner and re-installed it - no change.

I moved the scanner to another computer, installed it and of course it worked very well first time.

OK so removed the USB ports in Control panel and re-installed them - no change.

I had a friend check the USB cable and all 4 wires are OK and the plugs are in good condition.

My computer is a 775Mhz machine, running WinME, 256 RAM and a 8 gig HDD.

In need of some help please.

Cleo

csinclair83
17-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Welcome to pressf1 :-)

u mentioned that the scanner worked on the other computer...did that computer have windowsme? or a different system? as if its windowsme..u could try installing it on the computer with the probs the same way u did it on the other one..

when u plug scanner in..does it say "new device found" and procced to install drivers??

Cleopatra
17-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Yes both computers are running on ME. And I do get a message that windows has detected and installes the scanner. It shows up in Scanners in Control Panel. Think it is something to do with the twain driver, says make sur there is a proper link between twain and the scanner, but haven't a clue what to do
Thanks

Cleopatra
17-05-2003, 12:05 PM
Yes both computers are running on ME. And I do get a message that windows has detected and installed the scanner. It shows up in Scanners in Control Panel. Think it is something to do with the twain driver, says make sure there is a proper link between twain and the scanner, but haven't a clue what to do
Thanks

whetu
17-05-2003, 12:23 PM
hi cleopatra,
have you tried reinstalling the software that came with the scanner? if it is a twain driver problem, then a reinstall of the software should hopefully fix that...

Cleopatra
17-05-2003, 02:44 PM
yes have tried the reinstall trick several times

Pheonix
17-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Start in safe mode and remove any references to the scanner out of the Device Manager. Restart and see if the scanner is picked up then. It can happen you have multiple devices listed, but you can only see this in safe mode.

Cleopatra
27-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Still can not get the scanner to work. Have tried all suggestions. Taken everything out and reinstalled. Am told it is detected and it shows in control panel.
When I go to use it in a programe it says not detected, make sure it is plugged in and switched on. Any other suggestions besides throwing it out the window! Very frustrating.

Graham L
27-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Try
(1) with it turned on, and plugged in before the computer is powered up.
(2) with it turned off and plugged in when the computer is powered up.
(3) with it unplugged when the computer is powered up, then plug the scanner in, and power it up.

USB can be funny. :_|

Woof
27-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Try these links (?)

http://www.twain.org/drivers.htm and especially :-

http://global.acer.com/support/windows/winme_downloads.htm

Note: "For Acer desktop systems, no additional drivers are necessary. All the required drivers for Acer desktop computers are included with the Windows Me operating system."

So maybe the difference is in the different installations of ME

Maybe the ME in the first PC has a problem with it's driver "library"

(Hey - go easy on me all you super-geeks: I'm only a learner here too.....)

amyes5
31-05-2003, 04:46 PM
This may sound obvious but I write from personal experience.I had a similar problem with a camera recently.After a week of frustration I found that in inserting plugs in & out of the USB ports each time I was mistaking the scanner lead for the camera lead & merely reinserting the old lead.In the mire of wires & leads I did not confirm which lead was which was which .Only after having tried everything imaginable did I note that the so called unplugged scanner was installing itself!!!!.Boy did feel stupid.