PDA

View Full Version : Installing Linux Red Hat 8

lardass
17-05-2003, 10:28 AM
Help!
I am having troubles installing Red Hat on a brand new Hard Drive on a seperate partition!
I have a P4 1.6GHz system with 2 40GB hard drives -- the first one runs Window XP and the second has only just been installed. I have partitioned the 2nd drive into 2 partitions of 27GB and 10GB - am trying to install Red Hat on the 10GB partition on the 2nd drive and leave the 27GB partition for Win XP data storage etc. However it keeps coming up with a "failed to set primary paritions" message after I have selected the "Keep all partitions and use existing free space" option at partitioning set up stage of the install. If I allow/select the "Remove all the partitions on this sytem" it will then happily create the root directories and hog all the disk space on the 2nd (new) hard drive which is not what I want it to do.
Any suggestions?

Chilling_Silently
17-05-2003, 11:02 AM
You can try un-ticking the hdb and see if it'll let you continue then, as it wont try and use the second HD's space.

From what I gather though, you may need to use FDisk (The RedHat version) and remove the 10 gig partition if it's already been formatted as FAT32 or something similar.

You will likely want a partitioning scheme something like this:

/boot (30-100MB)(I use 100)
/ (ALL remaining free space)
SWAP (Depending on RAM size, upto 350MB)

If you've already formatted the second 10 Gig partition, then Linux will be confused because there is no 'free' space. For this instance, free means un-partitioned, not un-used space :-)

Hope this helps

Chilling_Silence

lardass
17-05-2003, 11:33 AM
>> If you've already formatted the second 10 Gig
> partition, then Linux will be confused because there
> is no 'free' space. For this instance, free means
> un-partitioned, not un-used space :-)
>
> That 2nd partition is formatted as FAT32 which is what will be confusing the Linux install
So...
How do I get that 10GB partition unformatted?!
In oreder to successfully install Red Hat on it.

Thanks

Graham L
17-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Just use the MS FDISK to delete the 10 GB partition. The other one will remain.

Once the area is not used in a partition, it is "free", and the Linux installer will happily partition and format it.

Chilling_Silently
17-05-2003, 08:35 PM
Even the Linux FDisk will delete the partition :-)

rsnic
21-05-2003, 12:42 PM
The problem is you selected the keep all partitions and use free space. This means it will not touch any existing partitions but will only use space that is not allocated to a partition. So you could create the 27gig partition but not allocated the rest and this option would work. Since you created another partition with the rest of the space you have to let the setup know what partition you want. I can't remember the exact option but there should be an option to select existing partions. It does not matter what format the partition is. Anyhow once you are selecting existing partitions find the 10gig partition and set it to / or root directory, and select the format option and ext3 or ext2. I recommend installing redhat 9, i have played with both and 9 is a lot better for beginners since it sets up hardware better than 8. e.g. dma enabled on drives, graphic support etc

lardass
21-05-2003, 07:00 PM
Thanks alot -- your advice was spot on the money.
Mnaaged to do it by deleting the 10GB partition.

Cheers

Paul