PDA

View Full Version : Genius Optical Mice all installed but one minor snag!

Billy T
16-05-2003, 08:37 PM
Hi Team

Thanks for all the advice to my earlier post. I went out and did some retail pricing and found that Harvey Norman had the PS2 version of the 5 button Genius Optical for just $34.95, so I bought one each for the kids and one for myself. ($50 at Noel Leeming for the PS2/USB version.)

The kids' installations on Y2K were a breeze but wouldn't you know it, Old Faithful spat the dummy after I uninstalled Logitech 7.5 and gave me missing lmul.vxd errors on reboot. I had to pinch a copy of the vxd from my other Y2K box to shut it up.

Anyway, that's not the problem, the mouse works OK but lacks the acceleration detection feature that MS and Logitec drivers offer. This is the one that makes the cursor travel-distance vary depending on how fast you move the mouse. With my previous setup a quick twitch would move the cursor from top to bottom or side to side of the screen, while a slow movement would inuce much less travel.

This linear response is bugging me as I have to move the mouse much further for the same result. Does anybody know of any Genius drivers that might offer a similar feature, or might my Logitec drivers run this little beastie?

I really only need the four buttons and scrolling wheel so I thought I'd ask before I buggered something up. The old girl is starting to get a bit fragile now so I don't want to upset her.:p

Cheers

Billy 8-{) ?:|

godfather
16-05-2003, 08:46 PM
I know the feature you mean, but that has not been available in my mice since I had a steam powered one.

I find that drivers are not particularly mouse specific, try a MS driver?

Billy T
17-05-2003, 11:12 AM
Thanks God,

On your advice I tried a Genius on the young pretender which is currently set up for a Logitec 4 button wheel mouse. W2K detected the mouse at boot and installed the Logitec drivers. They in turn allowed me to use the preferred aceleration function. I have yet to set up the button operations, but things are looking good.:D I'll install that mouse & drivers on Old Faithful then swap the mice over.

I like the aceleration feature because it allows me to keep the heel of my hand on the wrist pad and cover the entire screen area with finger movements only.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :)

-=JM=-
17-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Yes the acceleration feature is VERY nice to have.

Graham L
17-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Get a farmers wife to ...
"chop off their tails with a carving knife".

Three Blind Mice, by Anon