PDA

View Full Version : panosonic video camera

jimdickin
15-05-2003, 10:47 PM
can not work out how to get moving images from the camera to the computer- have succesfully got still images any help much appreciated

jim

godfather
15-05-2003, 11:13 PM
Not enough info for an informed reply, sorry.

What model camera.?
How does it connect to the PC (USB, Firewire etc)?
What type of PC (Apple, Windows based etc)?
What version of operating system (OSX, Windows 95/98/2000/NT/ME/XP)?
What software is supplied for the task?

Its just that the crystal ball gets fogged up at night. :)

jimdickin
16-05-2003, 06:28 PM
i am sorry godfather- I was maybe reaching the end of my tether when I wrote that and didnt include the right info.

OK then: Camera Panasonic nvds38 connected to the computer via a serial port from the comp into (there is a dv port that looks like a mini usb but I do not have this lead). i am on a pc running windows 98. The software supplied witht the camera is dv studio 2

I hope that demists the crystal ball a little and you may be able to help

Cheers
jim

godfather
16-05-2003, 07:03 PM
OK
I would hazard a guess that you would have great difficulty transferring video images via a Serial Port connection. In saying this I am literally translating your statement that its a serial (e.g.RS232) port and not USB.

The sheer size of digital video files, and maximum speed available through a serial RS232 port would mean you need a month of fortnights to transfer a video file. For this reason it may not be a supported feature?

If on the other hand it uses USB, (Universal Serial Bus) and not Serial RS232, one could expect a supported feature. The dv port (firewire?) is more likely the supported transfer method.

What does the manual suggest?

Spacemannz
16-05-2003, 08:01 PM
Um I've got the Pansonic NVDS30 cam. It's got the serial and the DV connection. Which sounds pretty similar to your cam. DV Studi0 3.1 SE came with this. DV Studio is only for taking pics/snapshots (not videos, or editing video). It isnt a so called Video Editing Program.

You should be able to take snapshots (photos) simply by turning the cam on and then xferring the pic (not video, or sound).

BUT yer as Godfather said, it'd be too slow to transfer moving video thru serial.. Get something like Mainactor (from www.mainactor.com)

Or any other program really, that supports video editing.

That'll work with the firewire connection on the cam. Altho, you'll also need the cable for it and a firewire PCI card (which at Dick Smith, is about 68 or something $. Then whatever you record, you can use Mainactor as if it was the remote. forward / backward / play etc. You can also EDIT the video with titles etc.

Also, with most digital cams, u can take the video, edit it then re-upload it thru the firewire, play it, then if u want, put it thru a TV, and record it onto normal video tape.

I dont think u can use any adaptor to record a normal video, onto a DV cam. As digital video has a higher resolution than normal video.