PDA

View Full Version : Very OT: A Website Designer looking for more work

stu140103
15-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Hello every one,

I know this might not be a good place to ask this question…:(

A Website Designer looking for more work? (Job's)
& Where would a good place be to start looking for more work?????

I know that Seek & Netcheck, Do Not have any jobs for a Website Designers where else?????? (Unless I am not looking it the correct places or with bad keywords)

Can any one help me?????

Jen C
15-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi Stu

Put up a site with your details and references (including links to sites you have designed) and then advertise in the Trade and Exchange and other similar local newspapers/websites.

You should also seriously consider proper backup procedures (after your lack of backup confession in another thread :D) otherwise you could lose a lot of your clients work in progress (not a very professional thing to do).

Good luck :)

Jen

stu140103
15-05-2003, 06:25 PM
> You should also seriously consider proper backup
> procedures (after your lack of backup confession in
> another thread :D)

ah which thread is that???? ?:|
Are you talking about the FAQ Idea thread?????? ?:|

nomad
15-05-2003, 06:25 PM
do a BCC of many many recruitment companies u can find.
looks via some RC's and go thru the info how to prepare etc.. (monster.co.nz) this is one.
write letters to companies ... asking for work.

but b4 look thru the info b4 u proceed.

Jen C
15-05-2003, 06:34 PM
> > You should also seriously consider proper backup
> > procedures (after your lack of backup confession in
> > another thread :D)
>
> ah which thread is that???? ?:|
> Are you talking about the FAQ Idea thread?????? ?:|

Talk about short term memory :D

This thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=34790&message=161384) quote:
"I might be the worst person here who has not back up in 3 year since aprox year 2000"

Stumped Badly
15-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Truth is [quote] Web designers [unquote] are a dime a dozen.
Every man & his dog can lay claim to the "I'm a web designer tag"
Anyone can pick up a wysiwyg editor & hack a site together.
Tha number of people sites I have seen who lay claim to being Web Designers, with bright blue backgrounds & even brighter yellow text with 1/2 dozen 300k jpgs stuffed into them & badly in need of a good dictionary, is amazing (no insult to yourself intended, it is a general observation)
Some of them have even been examples posted by so called "designers" in this forum.

Anyone serious about working in the industry these days, unless they are happy with slapping up the odd homepage or two, must know his stuff.
That means a good grasp of e-commerce, databases, php, asp, xhtml, xml, sql, validation, Flash, javascript, IICS, Apache server etc etc.
As someone else pointed out, you will need a portfolio of your work & it must be your own work, as anyone with a wee bit of nouse will suss you out in seconds, if it's not your own work. (about 20 would do)
They don't have to be live working sites, just examples of your knowledge & creative skills.
One way you won't get a job is waiting for it to fall into your lap, get out & beat the feet, apply for everything in sight, you'll strike it lucky sooner or later if you're persistent enough.
I know a guy who (self admittedly) knew diddly squat about web design/building, who landed a job with one of the Americas Cup syndicates.
He applied & never expected to hear from them again.
The next thing he knew he was on a plane & into a job.
Persistence, a sound knowledge of what you are about & a whole lot of luck seem to be the right recipe.
Good luck.
Let us know when you have a couple of sites to show us.
If you need free webspace with asp support try Brinkster.com (30mb)

Kame
15-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Would really like to know what you are good at... I am looking for a web designer. PHP and MySQL would be an avantage.

stu140103
15-05-2003, 09:39 PM
> do a BCC of many many recruitment companies u can
> find.
> looks via some RC's and go thru the info how to
> prepare etc.. (monster.co.nz) this is one.

Sorry if this seems silly :8} but, what do you mean by BCC & RC'S ???? :8}

stu140103
15-05-2003, 09:41 PM
> > ah which thread is that???? ?:|
> > Are you talking about the FAQ Idea thread??????
> ?:|
>
> Talk about short term memory :D
>
> This
> thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&t
> read=34790&message=161384)
> quote:
"I might be the worst person here
> who has not back up in 3 year since aprox year
> 2000"

Opps sorry:8} :8} I did not read the post that well :8}

stu140103
15-05-2003, 09:51 PM
> Would really like to know what you are good at... I
> am looking for a web designer. PHP and MySQL would
> be an avantage.

I know how to set-up a BB/forum & a PHPchat, but that is all I really know :( About PHP & MySQL, part from I did a PHP mail forum, but that was with the php.net tutorial.

But I do not know if that is what you looking at.

But I have done some image/graphics work & some work with HTML code but I mostly prefer to use Macromedia Dreamweaver.

stu140103
15-05-2003, 10:17 PM
> Let us know when you have a couple of sites to show
> us.

I do have a portfolio of work I have done.

Most of the work I have done is for Webstarters who I am at the moment working for, but all work from them has dried up:( at the moment.

So that is why I am looking for more work...

But if you mean a proper website, e.g. one which is not part off another one site or a rebuild,upgrade, then No :(

You can see all the work I have done on my website (http://stuartw.orcon.net.nz.nz) http://stuartw.orcon.net.nz

tweak\'e
15-05-2003, 10:49 PM
i'm under orders to be nice.......so here goes...

> some work with HTML code but I mostly prefer to use Macromedia Dreamweaver.

you just shot yourself in the foot. you sound just like every other wysiwyg user who thinks they are a web designer. <i was trying to be nice>

i suggest you hunt around your local aera and do small stuff, eg homepages for people and small clubs. nothing fancy. most importantly LEARN some more skills. help out other firms. you want to learn enough skills to take over your boss's job :) build up clients. your starting off in a good direction just keep it going and work will come and find you.

i noticed webstarters main page didn't go through the validator ;-)

godfather
15-05-2003, 10:54 PM
I had a look at your site Stu, and have to say that by the second spelling error I was disappointed.
I never looked for more, but you really should triple check anything you hold out as an example.
("Corse" instead of "Course" and "there" instead of "their")

Perhaps I am old fashioned, but while genuine spelling errors are fine in informal forums like these, when I encounter them on websites I immediately downgrade my expectation of the company.

I run a small business, have a domain name, but really have no immediate need for a website.
In my line of work its highly unlikely that a website would gain more work, and I really do not need any more work anyway.

Stumped Badly
16-05-2003, 12:12 AM
A quick run through the validator threw up 47 errors on your home page.
http://validator.w3.org/

But don't be put off you are on the right track
Even Microsofts site fails validation last time I looked.
Some study on usability testing might be of help, the whole bitsy piecey homepagey look went out with sites made in publisher & word.
Too many different colours, fonts, no uniformity about the site.
Fine for a fun homepage, but not a good look for advertising your skills.
Keep up the work & surf, surf, surf.
The best looking sites are always someone elses, find them & learn from them.
Easy on the eye, fast to load, cross browser compatibilty & they do the job with the least amount of bells & whistles.
Dump stat counters, guest books, time/dates, wee scripty bits & bobs.
Get lean mean & professional.
Build heaps of sites, the only way to learn is by doing & never be 100% happy with what you do, there will always be room for improvement.
Put you off yet?
I hope not as you seem really keen, keep it up you'll get there.

Greg S
16-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Jeez - don't be too harsh on the kid - eleventy years from now and he'll be teaching us all! :D

stu140103
16-05-2003, 01:14 PM
What can I say or what Cant I say............

:_| :_| :_|

I might as well just forget about doing website Design & forget about helping on this forum...

I was only trying to find some proper work!!!!! So I can learn more things etc..... & Because I have never had a proper client before….

Jen C
16-05-2003, 01:24 PM
Aw Stu ... don't be upset or put off website design. There was a lot of helpful advice given (and sometimes brutal), but don't give up. Webdesigners are not born, it is a skill that is learnt from practice and gaining experience.

So, carrying on learning (advice was given on what areas you might want to brush up on) and developing your skills. In the meantime, keep your chin up :).

Jen

Dolby Digital
16-05-2003, 02:01 PM
>>I might as well just forget about doing website Design & forget about helping on this forum...
Just take the attitude, to hell with them, I can do this, whatever it takes.

Murray P
16-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Ahem!

Godfather. Just what is it you do, if I may be so bold as to ask? What industry, if you don't want to be specific?

I will not be offended if you tell me to mind my own.

Sorry for above hijack Stu. Keep going. Don't be afraid to backtrack and start a new path if you find a dead end. Be/stay curious and exitement is a healthy condition.

Cheers Murray P

honeylaser
16-05-2003, 02:52 PM
> > do a BCC of many many recruitment companies u can
> > find.
> > looks via some RC's and go thru the info how to
> > prepare etc.. (monster.co.nz) this is one.
>
> Sorry if this seems silly :8} but, what do you mean
> by BCC & RC'S ???? :8}

BCC - Blind Carbon Copy. Send an email to all of them with the addresses in the BCC field.
RC's - Recruitment Companies

Stumped Badly
16-05-2003, 03:39 PM
Stu, Stu, Stu,
No time for sad faces mate.
None of the comments given here were a dig at you or your work personally or meant to offend you in any way.
They are all honest opinions of people, I would guess a lot older than yourself.
We have all been there mate & we know what it's like.
But one thing you have to realise is that now you are out of the "school environment" you have to play with the big boys.
Gone are the days when you were told "never mind, you can have another go at it, it's not the winning that counts it's the way you played"
Well bollocks to that attitude.
In the real world you get one shot, if you want someone to hand over their hard earned cash or employ you full time they will expect a lot in return.
They don't wan't something they can do themselves, or can get any Tom Dick or Harry to do for next to nothing.
They want value for money & to give that you have to know you're stuff.

Don't give up, If web designing is what you want to do, persevere & expect to get criticism along the way.
I take criticism gratefully (believe me I get enough) & look upon it as an opportunity to improve myself.
I started out just like you, at the bottom & I taught myself mostly, but if it wasn't for heaps of advice, constructive criticism & sheer bloodymindedness I would never have got to the stage where I am now.
So pick up the bottom lip & code, code, code.
You will get there if you're determined enough.
Good luck
(I Don't expect a reply, as you will be to busy constructing another site for the portfolio)

stu140103
16-05-2003, 03:58 PM
I am sulking :( :_|

All I wanted was some info on where would a good place be to start looking for more work????? & maybe one or two clients, Then it turns on me!!

I do not know why people did not give me this feedback when I want feedback on my site. But all well… that is life......

One I finch sulking do you guys mind if I ask some question & advice etc….?????????

honeylaser
16-05-2003, 04:14 PM
You asked questions to a bunch of tech people, some of whom live and breathe the internet. You asked the right bunch of people, and you have gotten some pretty good advice from people who have been there and done that, as well as people who have been in the industry for as long as the internet as been around.

I suggest you stop taking it so personally - because you need a thick skin if you wish to be a professional webdesigner. Remember that the people who matter are going to be your customers/clients. You may create them a website which isn't up to their expectations. If they come to you and tell you that they don't like it, and that it isn't good enough, you CAN'T go into a sulk and get all offended. You have to try and make it better.

My suggestion is that you keep working on it, and keep asking the people here what they think - you won't find a more talented bunch of websurfers anywhere ;)

ntddevsys
16-05-2003, 09:17 PM
Hi,
Im not a Web Design expert but your work looks very WYSIWYG without proper Navigation or a Colour Scheme , investing in maybe Macromedia Studio MX would be a good idea . Have a look at this guys website and Compare it .

http://iferret.wotfun.com/main.html

Dont Take the Difference Personaly

Greg S
16-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Great advice, and nicely put, Stumpy.

tweak\'e
16-05-2003, 11:32 PM
> Have a look at this guys website and Compare it .
http://iferret.wotfun.com/main.html

not a good example. looks flash but the writing is so small i can barely see it let alone read it, they have left over half the screen unused and it takes 1.5 minutes to load...arghhhhh.

>stu- One I finch sulking do you guys mind if I ask some question & advice etc?.?????????

as always your welcome to ask. just remeber its real easy for things to sound worse than they are.

Greg S
16-05-2003, 11:48 PM
> as always your welcome to ask. just remeber its real
> easy for things to sound worse than they are.

Yep - especially Tweak_E's spelling - it makes him look.... but in fact he's probably not! LOL :D

Just kiddin

Susan B
17-05-2003, 12:19 AM
> Yep - especially Tweak_E's spelling - it makes him look.... but in fact he's probably not! LOL

Umm, Greg..... tweak'e's spelling is put on purely for my entertainment, you know. Quit dissing it. :p :D

ntddevsys
17-05-2003, 09:04 AM
Thats odd,
Are you on 28k dialup or something ?
Looks fine on a 17" Mointor

At least it has good navigation.

Is the http://www.theladsband.com/ any better ?

Stumped Badly
17-05-2003, 09:47 AM
"Is the http://www.theladsband.com/ any better ?"

Nice site.
Fast to load on 56k
Nice use of iFrames & javascript
I like it
If there was one small thing I didn't like it was the way some of the text was laid out.
Too many double breaks, too much info sometimes (reading) on some subjects & maybe better definition between Q & A on the profile pages.
But overall, very very nice layout.
On the strength of what I saw there I'm going to look at some of your other work.
Graet stuff

ntddevsys
17-05-2003, 01:51 PM
That Aint my Work. Im strictly into Computer Hardware and Software.

ntddevsys
17-05-2003, 02:26 PM
A few Webdesign Ideas Pages FYI

http://www.htmltips.com/
http://www.webstyleguide.com
http://www.doghause.com/top15.html
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/
www.builder.com

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-05-2003, 02:28 PM
> > do a BCC of many many recruitment companies u can
> > find.
> > looks via some RC's and go thru the info how to
> > prepare etc.. (monster.co.nz) this is one.
>
> Sorry if this seems silly :8} but, what do you mean
> by BCC & RC'S ???? :8}

I think that pretty much answer's the question whether you're ready to design web-sites professionally or not yet...

stu140103
17-05-2003, 02:50 PM
> > > do a BCC of many many recruitment companies u
> can
> > > find.
> > > looks via some RC's and go thru the info how to
> > > prepare etc.. (monster.co.nz) this is one.
> >
> > Sorry if this seems silly :8} but, what do you
> mean
> > by BCC & RC'S ???? :8}
>
> I think that pretty much answer's the question
> whether you're ready to design web-sites
> professionally or not yet...

What the hell are you on about whiskeytangofoxtrot ?:| ?:|

I only want to know what BCC & RC'S is or what it means.

& I do not think it is any thing to do with Website Design, I might be something to do with jobs but that is it, unless some one tell me what BCC & RC'S is or what it means I will not know.

Sorry about my above Language

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-05-2003, 02:54 PM
> What the hell are you on about whiskeytangofoxtrot
> ?:| ?:|
>
> I only want to know what BCC & RC'S is or what it
> means.
>
> & I do not think it is any thing to do with Website
> Design, I might be something to do with jobs but that
> is it, unless some one tell me what BCC & RC'S is or
> what it means I will not know.
>
> Sorry about my above Language

If you had read the thread you would notice someone has already answered this, but to save you the effort:

RC = Short for Recruitment Company
BCC = Blind Carbon Copy - a method of sending a message to multiple recipients without the recipients being able to see the list of other people receiving the message.

BCC is an extremely basic e-mail feature, I was assuming if you didn't know that then racing off into a web-design career may be a bit premature.

ntddevsys
17-05-2003, 03:06 PM
if you want some a good *Free* guide on Website Design try webstyleguide.com

its several hundred pages to print and takes a while to download all the printable versions so you can read them offline. Im thinking of hosting the copy i spent half a hour downloading in a simple zip file on my website

If anyones interested ill stick it up , just inform me

craig_b
17-05-2003, 07:09 PM
Interestingly enough, I knew next to nothing about webdesign, but had put together a couple of personal sites that were in my opinion "crappy", but they served a purpose.

I was asked by a company I had done some PC repair work for if I knew anyone who would be prepared to put together a website for them. I said I would take a look at it, and if I couldn't do it I knew people who would.

I found that creating a website for myself, I never really knew what to put on it, and so they looked dumb, but as soon as I had a set of graphic ideas to work with, and a theme for the site, plus the manager of the company was an ex print designer, I went a long way, and found I was actually pretty damn good at the putting together of images and ideas into a funtional site.

What I am getting at, is that maybe Stu's personal page has stuff that is missing, and needs serious revamping, the guy could well be able to put together a massive site with the right sort of expectations put on him...

I certainly did, and I don't even want to do web design...

I actually know of a company who is seriously looking at a site design, so if you wouldn't mind telling me where you are based stu, I will set you know if they are still keen. You will need to be very committed to a finished product though, and they will be expecting a very professional site.

Let me know if you are interested.
Craig.

stu140103
17-05-2003, 08:24 PM
> I actually know of a company who is seriously looking
> at a site design, so if you wouldn't mind telling me
> where you are based stu,

I am based in Manukau.
I am not going to say (publicly) where in Manukau I am from.
Part from saying that I am not in Manurewa ;)

> I will set you know if they are still keen. You will need to be very committed to a finished product though, and they will be expecting
> a very professional site.
>
> Let me know if you are interested.

I am very interested!!

You can either contact me throw my website: http://stuartw.orcon.net.nz
Or you can e-mail me at stuartw at webstarters dot co dot nz