PDA

View Full Version : OT: How many Users Run a small businesses.......

stu140103
15-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Hello every one.

How many Press F1 Users Run a small businesses?? & They either have a website or they are thinking of getting/doing one?????

Billy T
15-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Ok Stu, I'll play your game.

Yes I'm an S.B.O., and yes I'm moving toward a website.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

[pre][b]Note that is S.B.O not S.O.B, which my kids think I am
when they are not taking pity on me! S stands for silly, sad,
stupid or stingy, depending on the day's events. :D

Greg S
15-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Yeah - I'm a site developer and host, working from home.

cyberchuck
15-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Agent and I are running StudentNet...
Well not really running
It's more he complains he can't work while I'm validating the HTML (which will be finished this weekend), then I complain that none of the ASP Scripts are even created, then he comes back at me for something else...
Then we start abusing eachother for an unfinished project when we're both unpractically busy to actually give a damn about it at the end of the day... I've still got a 30cm high pile of resources from last year to get into PDF format :_|
You should see the emails we've managed to relay to eachother...

Then there was another email circulating in regards to server/hosting for it... And just don't get either me or him started on that one ;)

CyberChuck

stu140103
15-05-2003, 04:31 PM
> Agent and I are running StudentNet...
> Well not really running
> It's more he complains he can't work while I'm
> validating the HTML (which will be finished this
> weekend), then I complain that none of the ASP
> Scripts are even created, then he comes back at me
> for something else...
> Then we start abusing eachother for an unfinished
> project when we're both unpractically busy to
> actually give a damn about it at the end of the
> day... I've still got a 30cm high pile of resources
> from last year to get into PDF format :_|
> You should see the emails we've managed to relay to
> eachother...

Hehe khehehe :D
It sounds like you need a hand, do you need one :) ;).

stu140103
15-05-2003, 04:34 PM
> Ok Stu, I'll play your game.

:D I am not playing any games :)
>
> Yes I'm an S.B.O., and yes I'm moving toward a
> website.

Are you going to do the website your self or get someone to do it for you???? if you do not mind me asking :)

cyberchuck
15-05-2003, 04:40 PM
Nah...
The pile of resources to get typed up weighs a good kilogram, and that's more just my laziness more than anything... I suppose I should start it now and do something like 10 resources a day or so-forth... (which reminds me - I need to check out the PDF printer on RedHat)
Then there's more laziness on my part - validating the HTML code with XHTML - maybe I should get that done tonight??
Although, for those of you who have previously seen StudentNet's layouts and so forth, I can honestly say the new design is a hellova lot better - it's resolution friendly this time too! :D
Therefore, once that's done, I can start putting the screws on him to get the ASP Scripts up and running...
We've got Queens birthday planned as a 24hr StudentNet development thingy...
From there it's just a matter of where to go next... :D

CyberChuck

Baldy
15-05-2003, 06:29 PM
I run a small signwriting business as well as my full time job. I haven't got a website, but am thinking about getting one

Clueless
15-05-2003, 06:42 PM
I s'pose you could call The Millerton Sound Company. (http://www.millerton.co.nz) a small businus. Allthough "loss" or "hobby" might describe it better.

.Clueless

Billy T
15-05-2003, 08:41 PM
>
> Are you going to do the website your self or get
> someone to do it for you???? if you do not mind me
> asking :)

No I don't mind you asking.

I will prepare the content, but the site will be built and hosted by friends who are professional website developers, in return for services rendered. Being an S.O.B of various descriptions, I don't have the necessary skills to do it myself, nor the time to learn.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

[pre][b]Please note that I do not answer to the US version of
S.O.B., which is more approriately abbreviated S.O.A.B. ]:)

stu140103
15-05-2003, 09:36 PM
> I run a small signwriting business as well as my full
> time job. I haven't got a website, but am thinking
> about getting one

If you do, get in contact with me throw my website http://stuartw.orcon.net.nz

I can do your website for a $1 a day or $30 a month. That includes Hosting, Domain name & more...

agent
15-05-2003, 09:47 PM
OOOH! OOOH! I'm going to be a pedantic S.O.A.B and get started on email circulations, taking this OT OT.

They say 40% of emails sent are spam. I reckon a further 40% a useless, crap fowards that say things like "if you don't send this to 20 people in one hour, you'll die" and stupid things like that. I must've deleted hundreds of those, and look where I am now! :D (in case you didn't really get that, I'm not exactly having good luck that those emails promise). I think the other 20% of emails sent can be counted as "other", which includes valid emails.

Anyway, I must say, for amateurs, we have really taken the website a hell of a long way (note to self: build a pictorial timeline of StudentNet, so it can be uploaded for you lot to see... it's amazing what little (but a lot, in a way) amounts of work can be achieved in... approaching two years. *Sheepish grin*.

Murray P
16-05-2003, 12:19 AM
Yes & yes soon.

Cheers Murray P

Greg S
16-05-2003, 12:34 AM
Stu - basically - your website is crap, your design skills are non-existant, and your marketing methods leave a lot to be desired. I recommend - grow up a little more, gain some real-life experience, and leave the professionalism in this industry to the pros, until you have learned a few of the basics.

Best wishes for the future.

Susan B
16-05-2003, 09:05 AM
Greg!!! I don't think you need to be as brutally honest as that!! :O

Whilst some people may secretly agree with your opinions I think with a little more imagination you could have got your point across a little more kindly and tactfully. ;-)

Stu: if you want to be a successful web designer you have a lot of stiff competition out there and the going will be very tough unless you are damn good at what you do. There are plenty of examples of fantastic and beautiful websites and there are plenty of jolly awful ones as well.

I have played around and made a few websites that do the job and look nice to me and the owners but I don't kid myself that they are anything special. My biggest stumbling block is having been at the back of the queue when the imagination and artistic genes ran out which is a real hindrance in this game.

Like people mentioned in the other thread you need to present your work well - without spelling and grammar mistakes - and try the local businesses in your area. They are likely to be far less critical of your work than the people on this forum are. You are, after all, seeking the opinions of the experts here, both experienced web designers and surfers. ;-)

Clueless
16-05-2003, 09:49 AM
IMHO the only people on this forum (to my knowledge) whose work is worthy of a fee are sal, nzliam, and Dyan.

Having said that, i have seen a LOT worse work than stus offering put up as a "professionally built" site.

.Clueless

Ron Bakker
16-05-2003, 10:20 AM
I'm with Susan on this one
Stu might need more experience & mabe visit webmonkey a bit more. But this fourum is for helping not shooting each other down. Save that for talk back radio.

Anyway yes I have a site http://www.ronsseacorner.co.nz/index.html
It needs filling.
It's not design I struggle with the most, but updating with good cotent to keep the site interesting

stu140103
16-05-2003, 01:14 PM
What can I say or what Cant I say............

:_| :_| :_|

I might as well just forget about doing website Design & forget about helping on this forum...

I was only trying to find some proper work!!!!! So I can learn more things etc..... & Because I have never had a proper client before….

Clueless
16-05-2003, 01:21 PM
Stu..
Don't be too disheartened. Your on your way, and should keep designing and upping your skills. Perhaps you made the mistake of presenting your work to a very fussy set of judges.
As i said, i have seen much less professional work sold before now, but it's harsh out there, and standards are increasing daily.

.Clueless

Susan B
16-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Nice one Clueless. You have said exactly what I tried to say and have put it into words far better than I could. (I said I missed out on the imagination genes, didn't I? :p)

Clueless
16-05-2003, 01:46 PM
Ta Susan...
One very quick and totally OT question; What is "Nimbus 2003, Version 2.4b (beta)"?

.Clueless

Jen C
16-05-2003, 01:54 PM
> One very quick and totally OT question; What is
> "Nimbus 2003, Version 2.4b (beta)"?

I assumed it was a cloud formation Susan was posting from. Probably totally incorrect tho :D

Jen C
16-05-2003, 01:59 PM
I even just found this ....

~Nimbus Cloud~

Nimbus is a cloud for those who cannot fly. Only people with those of a pure good heart are able to ride on it because if they have evil in their heart then they will just fall straight through it. The people that have used it are Goten, Goku, Gohan and Susan.

So OK, I added the last bit :D, and I don't think Susan plays Dragon Ball anyway ...

Susan B
16-05-2003, 02:06 PM
> > One very quick and totally OT question; What is "Nimbus 2003, Version 2.4b (beta)"?

> I assumed it was a cloud formation Susan was posting from. Probably totally incorrect tho :D

You are nearly right, Jen. :D

Do a search for "Nimbus 2000" on Google and you will find out. ;-)

stu140103
16-05-2003, 02:14 PM
> Stu..
> Don't be too disheartened. Your on your way, and
> should keep designing and upping your skills.

The only way I can up my skills is if I have work,
But seen you all have shot me in the foot it is going to be even harder to find more work!!,

I could off got my first client from this forum, but Now I have No chance in hell!!

Jen C
16-05-2003, 02:20 PM
> The only way I can up my skills is if I have work,
> But seen you all have shot me in the foot it is going
> to be even harder to find more work!!,
>
> I could off got my first client from this forum, but
> Now I have No chance in hell!!

OK, so you are a bit disappointed with the feedback. That happens when you asked for opinions from seasoned webdesigners and surfers. Build a bridge, cross it and get over it :).

You can up your skills, it will only take time and a bit more practice. Start by mocking up play websites using different angles, eg sport clubs, small home business advertising sites etc. The more you play around with sites, the more tricks you will learn.

Keep it up tho - you have a great start already.

Jen

somebody
16-05-2003, 02:48 PM
Greg... please don't throw personal insults around this forum. It just causes problems.

Yes you're allowed to have your opinions, but try to keep them to yourself unless absolutely necessary.

agent
16-05-2003, 03:56 PM
> Do a search for "Nimbus 2000" on Google and you will find out

Good *faints*...

That's rather sick, Susan. I wasn't expecting that one from you. I'd read about the vibrating Harry Potter 'Nimbus 2000' broomstick toy back in the summer holidays. Seems parents were saying their children were "spending hours in their room playing with it". Little do those stupid parents realise that the creators of the toy were selling vibrators to little kids.

Snaggle Puss
16-05-2003, 05:02 PM
The "experts"? I thought that they were too busy 'experting' to be spending their time and expertise here. Yes, there is a fractional representation of posters who have genuine knowledge, but most appear to be still wearing 'L' tags, cheating with Google, and the rest treat it as their precious personal chat room.

Stu, read, study, practice. Learn art and design skills (great for layout, colour, balance), and learn as much as you can about the different script languages. You will achieve much.

Snag

Susan B
16-05-2003, 05:41 PM
[off-topic]

> That's rather sick, Susan. I wasn't expecting that one from you. I'd read about the vibrating Harry Potter 'Nimbus 2000' broomstick toy back in the summer holidays.

Well! That is a new one to me - I have not heard of that before! :O

My Nimbus 2003 broomstick is purely an essential accessory to complement my pointy witchy hat (http://mscandy.orcon.net.nz/susan.html) and being the latest model it gives a very smooth rather than a vibrating ride. With my terrible sense of balance I doubt I would last two minutes on one of those older models.
Credit goes to CyberChuck for "enhancing" my portrait to prevent more cracked monitors.[/off-topic]

> The "experts"? I thought that they were too busy 'experting' to be spending their time and expertise here. Yes, there is a fractional representation of posters who have genuine knowledge, but most appear to be still wearing 'L' tags, cheating with Google, and the rest treat it as their precious personal chat room.

And apart from your "constructive criticism" what have you actually contributed to this forum? :|

agent
16-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Oh, err... well then, sorry to have doubted you, Susan :D

And it's probably safe to say that we all contribute controversy.

Billy T
16-05-2003, 06:10 PM
Hey Snaggle! Steady on :O

Using Google to help others is not cheating. Nobody knows everything, and some don't yet know how to search for themselves.

As for the OT chat, that's the community of PF1 and anyway, most of the real OT stuff is saved for Chat F1. The social and humorous exchanges here are one of the attractions that keeps us coming back. When we do, apart from recent and rather noticeable exceptions, we usually try to help people. Occasionally advanced brain fade takes over and you get stu's somewhat traumatic experience.

Meantime, the "fractional" majority of us will carry on doing what we do, and once in a while somebody will get seriously helped.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

Snaggle Puss
16-05-2003, 06:37 PM
It's not compulsory to 'contribute' to the forum is it?

There are many like me who cruise by occasionally and are probably amused and bemused by the OT's, and if we're really lucky, learn something along the way from the genuine PC-related posts where answers & solutions are sought and given.

I hear the PC tech industry is still thriving despite PressF1.

Snag

tweak\'e
16-05-2003, 07:57 PM
>I hear the PC tech industry is still thriving despite PressF1.

lol got to love that one :)

mind you several of the html pros havn't spoken up. no need to guess why ;-)

a least its far easier to get a bit of flak now and learn from it than get customers in hand and get totally shot down.

Greg S
16-05-2003, 08:18 PM
> Greg... please don't throw personal insults around
> this forum. It just causes problems.
>
> Yes you're allowed to have your opinions, but try to
> keep them to yourself unless absolutely necessary.

Yeppers - humble apologies to Stu and any others who correctly found my comments offensive.

Rod ger
16-05-2003, 09:00 PM
Stu,
Just a few words of advice from someone who has no Web Design skills, but has some business experience and a daughter who has done some of this stuff at Tech. At the moment you appear to have mastered some of the skills to implement a Web Page. This is like being a mechanic, you can put the stuff together to work. Taking the car analogy a bit further you need to become a car Designer

Unfortunately the real skill in Web Design is to make the site Cool and Impressive to the client and his customers. When you are talking about people spending MONEY it has to be just right! A conservative businessman wanting to reflect his business's upmarket IMAGE does not want (the car thing again) Boom boxes, undercar lighting and Doughnuts.
Web design is about good efficient design and effective presentation.

In some ways it is like a design culture or fashion, it must be learned but you still need intuition and taste (otherwise your car just looks like everyone else's). Simplicity is important. The programming side is important for technical reasons. Security, quick load, expandability etc etc.

Look at well regarded sites asses them; who are they aimed at,what are their strengths, weaknesses? Become a site connoisseur. Try to keep your standards to a similar level. Take time to understand your client's needs and expectations, try to exceed them. Keep it as simple and direct as possible.