PDA

View Full Version : The “fractional” slash.

E.ric
15-05-2003, 06:39 AM
I just learnt that the two slashes in http:// could be called a fractional slash, most people would call forward slash and could be written in HTML code as ⁄ or ⁄ as the slash between 1 and 2 as half.

Forward slash, Back slash, one can sometimes be confused between the two, like that American daylight saving saying and think it is just as easy to spring back and fall over forwards, after all that is the way how I would most likely go, Why not ban some of those strange USA imports like graffiti that is making Auckland look like a third world country and say “We look forward for summer, but at the end have to go back to New Zealand standard time” or why bother we just about have it worked out by now.

Thomas
15-05-2003, 06:47 AM
You sound troubled again E.ric.Take a deep breath and invent a better monitor.

E.ric
15-05-2003, 07:01 AM
I have been meaning to see my doctor, but can not aford it.

-=JM=-
15-05-2003, 09:23 AM
Depends on when it's being used. If you're telling someone what to type in their browser it is of course a forward slash in that case. If you're talking about mathematics to someone it's the division symol or now the fractional slash.

Interesting thoughts anyway E.ric.

Graham L
15-05-2003, 04:59 PM
Of course, if you want your mathematical text to be properly done you use TeX (or LaTeX). If you want a slash ("/") you write "/slash"; for a backslash ("\") you write "/backslash". If you want a fraction you write "/fraction". It's nice. From /alpha to /omega. B-)

-=JM=-
15-05-2003, 05:37 PM
I think I might have to have a play around with that program it sounds rather good.

Graham L
16-05-2003, 04:26 PM
It's probably considered "old fashioned" now. It's not WYSIWYG. But you can write complicated mathematical stuff on a 286 with 1 MB. (I never tried it on a "PC" (8088 with 640k B-).) It's a fairly big package ... runs on all sorts of mainframes, minis, and PCs. The guy who wrote it was Donald Knuth, who is famous for a series of books of Algorithms for computers. As a professor of Maths, he wanted a proper typesetting programme. So he wrote one. There are a number of languages he wrote (based on Pascal) which can be used for defining fionts, etc. There are add on sets of instructions for maths, etc. The PC version is called Latex (I think Lamporth wrote that -- pobably a subset, but still very powerful). It will certainly still be available; free of course :D)

It's easier than PostScript. PostScript is incredibly powerful, but it takes practice. Lots of practice. :-(