PDA

View Full Version : Learning linux!?

Archibald
14-05-2003, 01:29 PM
What version of Linux is best/easiest to learn with?:| I'm looking at Installing RedHat9.0, Redhat8, Mandrake9.0 or open to recommendations.
So what do you Linux boys out there recommend would be the best, for a newbee to Linux.B-)

Graham L
14-05-2003, 01:57 PM
The learning is common to all of them. Most of the books are good. You'll find a lot of links and links to links in the FAQ here. (Top right hand button on this page).

As for the versions ... RedHat will usually work, and has most users, but they are careful about possible legal problems so some packages are not included (though they'll tell you where to get them). Mandrake emphasise the newest, so things might have bugs (:D), and they have financial problems, so they might not be there forever.

All the distributions are "Linux".

Chilling_Silently
14-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Just personally, Id bat for RedHat 8 first.. then 9.. :-)

cyberchuck
14-05-2003, 07:01 PM
I've just installed RedHat 9 as of 2 days ago to do something stupid and learn something new. It's a real easy install! The Graphical installer is probably the best I've seen (even better than Windows in my opinion). From there, running it - you can play around to your hearts content and not have a care in the world (unless you enter the root password because there is an obvious reason it's strongly suggested you never do common things as root :p)
There's plenty of help around for it - this forum has a FAQ on "how to do everything with linux" or something, and while most of the links are now broken, there's an excellent one posted by E.ric which I think is on his homepage - anyway, it's excellent for learning how to mount drives, and the general comparison between Windows and Linux...
Then, if your ever stuck, there's a few Linux Experts around on this forum (Chill, Clueless, Bmason to name a few)....

CyberChuck

Archibald
14-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Hey guys, thanks for your points of views, giving me somthing to think about.

:)

Archibald
14-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Hey Chilling, why do you bat for 8 before 9?

I Installed RedHat6.0 on one of the lab computers today, can't say I like it that much! maybe I should stick with, staying on the "Darkside" (Microsoft):p

Chilling_Silently
15-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Oh boy!

Now 6 is going back a fair way isnt it... What about 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3? Then there's 8 which has more support at the moment.

When I last checked there were no nVidia rpm's for it, and because its been around longer, there is more available for it, and about it.

9 isnt terribly major in its changes. There's a few changes in where the config's are (VSFTP has moved its .conf file just to name one), the menu's are more based like Lycoris Desktop/LX's menu's. AnonFTP isnt there... but there's many version updates.

Its like Mandrake 9 going upto 9.1, only they decided to ditch the who 8.xxx and head right for 9 :-)

Plus, Ive grown up with 8.. I installed 7.1, 7.2 (three times) and 7.3 (twice), but otherwise its all be RH8!

But please, I beg you - Dont go 6!

Archibald
15-05-2003, 11:20 AM
> But please, I beg you - Dont go 6!
LOL, No worry's there Chilling! It was what was available to us in the lab yesterday and I won't be Installing RH6 on my home machineafter what I saw yesterday.

I do though have copy's of RH9 & Mandrake9. I know the best way to answer my own question is to Install them and try them for myself, but its that time of year again with assignments and assessments etc. and STRESS!!!

Thanks for explanation Chilling :)

A

Chilling_Silently
15-05-2003, 12:18 PM
Great!

If you have a copy of RedHat 9 - Then go for it!

As CyberChuck's said before, the installer is the best thing since installations were invented! It leaves a great first impression.

My only down side really abouy 9 is there've been a few people (Myself included) who have trouble increasing the default screen res. of 800x600 to something a little higher.

Ive used Mandrake 9 a couple of times, but always end up installing RedHat on the machines shortly after :-)

Good luck for your exams/assessments too :-)

Cheers

Chill.

Archibald
15-05-2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks Chilling!:)

A

mikebartnz
15-05-2003, 10:46 PM
You forgot the guru Graham L.

Chilling_Silently
15-05-2003, 11:02 PM
Yes, Graham L, and although I havent seen Gorela around, G. has helped me on a number of occasions too!

Gorela
15-05-2003, 11:51 PM
Howdy Chill,

Yeah I moved house in a bit of a rush and everything is in storage, even all of my computers! Have only just managed to save up and put this one together.

As far as Linux they all have their pros & cons. The last version of Redhat I tried was 7.3 which had kudzu and didn't seem to have any problems detecting my hardware. An awful lot easier than setting up using hardware addresses and all that.

Have played with Mandrake 9.0 (and am eagerly awaiting the arrival of 9.1)) and found that the shorewall (http://shorewall.sourceforge.net) firewall setup was very impressive.

Personally I like SuSE, but it very definitely isn't everybodies cup of tea ;)

Big sigh, it's so good to be back!

Chilling_Silently
16-05-2003, 12:04 AM
Good to see ya again!

You havent been here.. ooh, over a month at least?

Gorela
16-05-2003, 12:23 AM
I read that PCWorld article about going for a month without using a PC and I personally think he was talking bollocks! I read it a number of times too, I might add, to see if I could discover the secret.

Definitely "No can do" in my book.

Archibald
16-05-2003, 12:34 PM
> You forgot the guru Graham L.

Yes, thanks Graham L :8}