PDA

View Full Version : New Hard Drive Revisited

Richard
14-05-2003, 12:50 PM
Help. Please refer to my last post in topic 'New Hard drive' I need some serious help with this.

Cheers
Richard :( ?:|

godfather
14-05-2003, 02:59 PM
I admit to never having tried the XP backup wizard, however you are bound to strike problems if you are trying to backup the entire contents, as many Windows files are in use and simply cannot be accessed.

To do what you want, you need to purchase a program such as Nortons Ghost 2003, which will drop to a DOS-type level and perform a complete image of your system, that you can restore to the HDD (or a replacement HDD) to return your entire system to its state when the backup was performed.
I cannot state categorically that this is the cause of your error, but it likely is.

I use Ghost to capture an image of my system with all applications installed. This image is stored on a second HDD.

I also use a simple batch program to take a copy of all data I create, plus all e-mails in and out on a daily basis. In the event of a HDD failure (yes, I have lost 3) I restore the image using Ghost, and restore the data using drag and drop, or a batch file.

It works for me.

Jen C
14-05-2003, 04:57 PM
Hi Richard

I see from your previous post that you have a slave drive that you are planning to use for storing your backups on. What file system have you formatted the slave with? Fat32 or NTFS? If you are going to be storing your complete backup file, it needs to go onto a NTFS drive due to the large file size of the backup.

You can partition your slave and have half with NTFS and the other with FAT32 (for other data) if you wish.

There are some useful articles here here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/crawford/02april01.asp) that mentions shadow errors, as well as some useful links on the right. This article Format Backup Drives with NTFS (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/march/nason1.asp) will also help.

Jen

Richard
14-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Hi Jen C. I haven't reformatted the drive at all. It is still just as it was when my original, only drive. The file system is FAT32 on both drives, so there should be no conflict here. I am not trying to backup the whole drive as godfather surmised, but only a few selected files at this stage, until I know what I'm doing. The trouble is that everything goes along nicely until the actual file transfer stage is reached, and then I get the 'Shadow' error message as described earlier. You can sure say that Ms error messages are enigmatic! I will look at the links you have supplied to see if they can assist. Thank you ffor your help.

Cheers
Richard

Richard
14-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Jen C......You're brilliant. If it was within my power I would give you 3 wishes. All I needed to do was go to an advanced screen option, disable the "Volume shadow" check box, and everything worked. I learned this from the first of your suggested links. Magic. Thanks again.

Cheers
Richard

Jen C
14-05-2003, 07:10 PM
You are welcome Richard :)

... although I wouldn't refuse this Saturday's winning Lotto numbers ...:D

Richard
14-05-2003, 09:38 PM
Done! I will send them to you on Sunday.

cheers
Richard