PDA

View Full Version : Files on CD contain nothing

Mike
13-05-2003, 10:52 PM
This is further to my problem with Battlefield 1942.

Has anyone ever seen this before? I have 2 CDs (the game) where whenever I put the CD in up pops the Explorer window and I can see all the files, but every file appears to contain no info (although the filesizes are displayed correctly). This occurs off both the original CDs and a copy of those CDs. Yet the same CDs work fine on my friend's machine, which is virtually identical to mine. Why would this be happening? I've almost given up on getting the game installed again (if only I hadn't reformated on Saturday - it was already installed then, but with the machine upgrade came the usual reformat)...

Running Windows XP
2.2Ghz
256mb
40gb with about 35gb free (OS on here)
20gb with about 5gb free
GeForce4 MX440

Don't know what else to say - this is really weird and, well, truely bizarre ?:|

Mike.

raddersnz
14-05-2003, 01:36 AM
Sounds like a file for Chloe's "Wall of Weird".
Maybe Moulder could look into this one.

If only I could make some Twilight Zone sound

Marshell
14-05-2003, 01:51 AM
Is your CD rom drive a CDRW, if so try updating the drivers. I know you don't normally have to worry with CD drives but I seen this a couple of times with CDRW's and the driver update has fixed it both times.

Cheers

Mike
14-05-2003, 09:22 AM
> Is your CD rom drive a CDRW, if so try updating the
> drivers. I know you don't normally have to worry with
> CD drives but I seen this a couple of times with
> CDRW's and the driver update has fixed it both
> times.

I've tried on three drives - a CD Rom, a DVD Rom, and a CDRW - all with the same result.

I even tried opening the CD using ISOBuster to see if there was some other layer on the CD that I could get access to, but all had the same result.

Mike.

Graham L
14-05-2003, 02:19 PM
I just tried a OPC Authority CD (to have a look at Partition Magic 6). There's an "April" directory, with a "Partition Magic" directory ... which is empty.

Odd. :-(