PDA

View Full Version : Email with attachment problem

gerrypics
13-05-2003, 08:30 PM
Os = Xp, Outlook express. When sending email with photo atachment 238 kbs the progress bar goes all the way to the right and then stops and I get a time out notice. The same email sent using xps make pictures smaller feature 68 kbs goes through with no trouble. Can anyone help, Thank you.

Jen C
13-05-2003, 08:53 PM
In Outlook Express go Tools > Accounts > highlight your ISP account > Properties > Advanced Tab. There is a slider for server timeouts. Adjust that so you get a few more minutes. Click Apply and then OK your way out. See if this helps.

Jen

gerrypics
13-05-2003, 09:10 PM
Thanks Jen, we have just tried that with no result, we also tried turning off norton and effpos which shares the same line.

Pheonix
13-05-2003, 10:02 PM
Check that you are allowed to send large attachements. Hotmail will only allow less than 200kb. Just a thought .

gerrypics
13-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Hello Pheonix, That was my first thought but I don't think that is the problem as we were sending form xtra to clear. It seems the message can't even get as far as leaving the puter

Susan B
14-05-2003, 10:13 AM
Jim B might have some suggestions, but in the meantime you could try using another email client to see if the problem is just with OE.

Eudora is the one I use and it works very well.

Clueless
14-05-2003, 10:19 AM
I wonder if it is just an email problem. Do you have difficulty uploading anything else, such as files to a ftp server?

.Clueless

Jim B
14-05-2003, 11:07 AM
I don't really have an answer to this whic byh seems to happen to some people when sending attachments. It seems to be caused a combination of factors such as a slow dialup connection, using OE, and a slow or congested ISP mail server which results in a timeout before the mail has been sent.
Try again at a less busy time or use the ISP Webmail system to send this message with the attachment.
If you are having problems sending or receiving attachments Webmail seems to have fewer problems than when using OE.

gerrypics
14-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Just found out that this puter needs about 34 updates (belongs to friends) Will post again after updates are all in and let you know if this makes any difference. Thanks for your help people.

gerrypics
15-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Jim B, Could you have a look here for me: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254926 This appears to me to be a parallel problem except it is for OE 5.01 Windows 98. Do you think it would be safe to try this resolution

Jim B
15-05-2003, 04:50 PM
This information only applies to OE 5 and US Robotics modem and you probably have not got either, I would not try this.
Anyway you can send attachments, you said you could send a 68k one.

Unless you have a lot to send why not try sending from Xtra webmail, you might find it will go OK using this..

gerrypics
15-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Hello Jim. Yes we can send small attachments through OE & we can send the bigger attachments through webmail so we will probably have to live with it. What was interesting was the fact that the symtoms in that article were totally identicle to the problems that we are having, yet microsoft says nothing about an XP problem when it is obvious that this is not an isolated case. Thanks for your help.

Jen C
15-05-2003, 05:23 PM
The other option you have is to break down messages into smaller sizes when sending. You will find that option underneath the server timeout slider I previously mentioned.

By a bit of experimenting (send various sized files to yourself) you should be able to find the size limit that works for you. You will see when you break a message down, it will arrive in parts eg. 1/3, 2/3 & 3/3. When the third part arrives, outlook express will automatically reassemble the message parts back into one.

Jen

Jim B
15-05-2003, 05:46 PM
You need to be careful when sending multi-part messages as not all email programes can reassemble them, OE can, and unless the recipient has OE there might be problems.