PDA

View Full Version : Linux Q. pt 2 - Mounting /mnt/hdd1/Vidz as /Vidz

Chilling_Silently
13-05-2003, 08:15 PM
I have mounted my 3rd HDD, and its normally /dev/hdd1
Its mounted in the fstab as /mnt/hdd1 (I made hdb1 and the others like that too, easy to remember).

Now there's a folder on that drive (FS = FAT32) that I would rather was mounted as /Vidz (Containing.. wait for it.. Music Video's).

How would I get a refernce even to that folder if I cannot re-mount it there?

Cheers

Chill.

bmason
13-05-2003, 09:01 PM
Using a symlink will work. You can create sym-links to stuff on windows drives, but you can actually store the link on it.

So just create a link from /mnt/hdd1/Vidz to /Vidz. Either use the filemanager to create it or from at root teminal run:

ln -s /mnt/hdd1/Vidz /

Chilling_Silently
13-05-2003, 09:36 PM
Cheers,

Thankyou so much, its worked a treat!!

I take it I can use the:
#ln
command to make a link with a different name... like /vidz instead?

*Feels the need to read - Read the man pages :p*

Thanks again

Chill.

bmason
13-05-2003, 10:18 PM
> Cheers,
>
> Thankyou so much, its worked a treat!!

I have a bunch of them in my home directory pointing to various things on my windows partitions, eg downloads, mp3s etc.

> I take it I can use the:
> #ln
> command to make a link with a different name... like
> /vidz instead?

Yep.

Symlinks (ala softlinks) are often called windows shortcuts on steriods because your apps will treat it just like a normal file/directory. If you have a poke around your filesystem, they are used a over the place. esp. to avoid duplicating files in /usr/lib.

> *Feels the need to read - Read the man pages :p*

There are also hard links (without the -s option) which are links in the filesystem itself making them almost unnoticable. You probably won't want to use them.

Susan B
14-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Brett, I am interested to know how you are so knowledgable about Linux? Have you had formal training or are you self-taught and have just picked it all up yourself through experience?

Your knowledge and expertise on Linux is rather formidable! :-)

Chilling_Silently
14-05-2003, 11:06 AM
Yes, I agree!

Have you done RHCE?

bmason
14-05-2003, 03:23 PM
Nope. Self taught. I've been running (and breaking :-)) it since 1999 (its been my main work OS since 2001).

As with windows, you pick up a lot just by using (and breaking) it.