PDA

View Full Version : Any comments on Genius Netscroll 5-button Optical Mice?

Billy T
13-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Hi Team

My kids are complaining about their "plain vanilla" two button mice so I went looking for four or five button wheel mice, but after spending some time on Pricespy I found that they don't give much attention to details on mouse listings and you can't really tell what the models are or check their features.

On looking around local retail suppliers, the best options for ready availability seem to be the MS Intellimouse Explorer 3 at $100, the MS Optical Wheelmouse 1.1 for $60, or the Genius Optical at $50. All prices include gst.

I have to buy two, so are there any comments on the two cheaper options from satisfied users?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

IanJ
13-05-2003, 07:19 PM
Another option that you may wish to consider is the A4 Tech series of mice. Check them out at Dick Smiths or Harvey Normans.

Go to http://www.dse.co.nz/ and do a search for product number XH1893

nicnz
13-05-2003, 07:21 PM
The Genius Optical Mice work great, and at a reasonable price. I have the 5 button version, but never really use the side buttons. A friend uses them lots for gaming.

I also have MS Explorer, and I tend to find the buttons on the side slightly easier to use (I've programmed them for double click, and open explorer). Great for navigating around explorer etc.

Pheonix
13-05-2003, 07:39 PM
I've got the 5 button genius as well and have had no problems at all. Don't use the 2 side buttons, but scroll and three at the top get used heaps. Just keep in mind that they have a slight curve to them and so are not suitable for left handed people.
I recall the A4 variety are "hand neutral".

godfather
13-05-2003, 07:43 PM
I run 2 of the 5 button A4 dual scroll wheel mice.
They cost $38 at DSE on special, normally $58

You can see them here (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3ec0a1db039201e6273fc0a87f99070f/Product/View/XH1893)

Never had a problem, and I really get used to the dual scroll wheels (L-R and Up - Down)

-=JM=-
13-05-2003, 07:47 PM
Depends on the use of the mouse really. If it's for general everyday stuff then it should be fine provided you like the feel of it. If you're into gaming or 3D work you might like to get something a tad different.

Susan B
14-05-2003, 10:09 AM
Hi Billy :-)

I bought that Genius Netscroll mouse for my new computer and have been very happy with it. When I first got it I thought maybe the scroll button was a bit "free and loose" but now that I am used to it it is hard to use the stiff old Microsoft one on the Win 98 computer. In fact I dislike using that one now. Going the optical way is fantastic and I have even been thinking of replacing that MS mouse with another Genius mouse like mine.

For some funny reason I never got around to installing the drivers for the two side buttons <makes mental note to do it soon!> which would probably be really handy on Internet Explorer as compensation for Opera's mouse gestures which I am so used to now.

You cannot really go wrong with that mouse, but if the one Godfather uses is cheaper that will probably be just as good. Either way, you will definitely earn good Brownie points with the sprogs. :D

Billy T
14-05-2003, 10:20 AM
I run 2 of the 5 button A4 dual scroll wheel mice.
They cost $38 at DSE on special, normally $58

Bugger, the special was one day only at $48 each and your link now leads to the current specials.

Thanks anyway Godfather, I'll try twisting their arm, but telephone contact this morning to two different branches has been discouraging, even when I said I'd buy three.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

godfather
14-05-2003, 01:45 PM
The special was many months ago, when I got mine.

Billy, you do have a Trade Card for DSE don't you?
If not you should have, as you would qualify.

Even at $58 they are are good alternative to the others.

Billy T
14-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Hi Godfather

Yes I am a trade customer, and I have just this minute been notified that my trade pricing access on the DSE website has been enabled so that I can now properly compare prices. I'm just going back to check my buy price :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

kiwibeat
14-05-2003, 04:55 PM
I like the genius mouse I rarely use the side buttons I find them better than the microsoft ones an cheaper too

Kame
14-05-2003, 05:53 PM
The Mice is pretty cheaper for under $45, dependant on whether you go Optical or Wheel. Optical being around $45.

Although Ergonomic design maybe a problem? As for 5 button mouse, umm... it's really a 7 button mouse, left, right, wheelup, wheeldown, the wheel, and then the 2 side buttons. Well for Linux it's considered 7 button and I've been trying to find a driver that's made to use the side two buttons.

I use the side ones for forwards/backwards in IE.