PDA

View Full Version : Visio Product Key - What the heck do I do?

robo
13-05-2003, 05:15 PM
Here's the thing, installed a new PC about a month ago. Now I need Visio 2000. Finally found the sodding disk (was in a plastic case because it came in a sleeve).
Guess what? No product key. Found the manual, but think the key has gone with the shitty sleeve.
So what do I do? I can load some Office 2000 key, but that's an upgrade one so it accepts it but wants on old Visio serial number for compliance checking.
No, I am not a pirate, just a bloody annoyed customer. Should I try ringing MS support? I don't like my chances.
Ideas, anyone?
(and no, don't post keys here, please)
robo.

CYaBro
13-05-2003, 05:27 PM
I think if you ring Microsoft they'll be able to sort you out. I had a customer that got Office 2000 OEM but then lost the Certificate of authenticity with the CD key on it. After talking to Microsoft we had to send them a photocopy of the CD so they can get the numbers off it and to make sure you have an original I guess. It then took them about 3 days to get back to us with a CD key.

-=JM=-
13-05-2003, 05:42 PM
You should really do the right thing and talk to MS about it. I've heard that there support is actually very good. A good lesson for next time would be to write the key on the disc ;)

robo
13-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Or scratch it with a nail?
I have transferred the sticker from the manual to the CD case with Photoshop, but there were stickers supplied.
Major hassle.
robo.

Kame
13-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Itching it on top of the CD does wonders, take for instant my mate who thought carving his initials on his music cd was a great idea. He's replaced the CDs due to them skipping and has now used a felt tip to put his initials on it. I wonder why?

Mike
13-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Robo,

Just ring them up, tell them who you are and mention PC World (and my name if you wish ;)) and I'm sure they'll give you something :)

Mike.

robo
14-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Yes, well tried to do it as a mere mortal and got the whole thing about proving I own it and have to fax them the original invoice. I have no clue when I bought it (and I did buy it, wasn't even a press thing).
This is just so counter-productive. We end up having to become pseudo-pirates because we have no choice but to record every serial number ever, just in case.
I need Visio now, well actually yesterday, and this is affecting my ability to meet deadlines and earn a living. This costs the customer in time and money, and isn't going to turn me into an anti-piracy person in the least. Just an anti-piracy prevention person.
The law-abiding customer becomes the victim.
Can you tell I am a bit grumpy on this?
Rob

robo
14-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Well, fixed it. Used the upgrade key off my Office 2000 disk and found an old serial number on the net. Didn't even need to visit a dodgy site, got it straight from the Google search results.

Does this mean I have been naughty? I have wasted about two hours of my life on this. I feel I should be sending someone a bill. If they stuck the code on a decent sized jewel case, or on the manual as well, then this would never have happened. I could have been more careful, I suppose, but it is entirely in the cause of preventing piracy. Did it work? You be the judge.
robo.

Susan B
14-05-2003, 10:47 AM
Don't worry, robo, I am sure Microsoft will soon be knocking at your door offering you all sorts of yummy things as compensation, since they are bound be be regular readers this forum and would hear of your plight.

We do, after all, have Orcon, PriceSpy and the PC Company gnomes lurking around on here, don't we? :p :D

robo
14-05-2003, 01:17 PM
More like the goon squad will be bashing down my door, checking that I have a licensed version of firmware in my microwave oven.
:|
robo.

robsonde
14-05-2003, 01:26 PM
> More like the goon squad will be bashing down my
> door, checking that I have a licensed version of
> firmware in my microwave oven.
> :|
> robo.

LOL

why cant Ms put the product key on a sticker on the CD-Rom?

robo
14-05-2003, 01:55 PM
Or write it in crayon on the manual?

Or supply a signed photo of Bill smiling benevolently with the key on the back?

who knows.

Mike
14-05-2003, 01:59 PM
> Does this mean I have been naughty?

I don't think so - I mean you do own the product, you've just lost a piece of paper that came with it with a number on it, so now you've just used a different number with the product you own.

If you didn't own it though, that'd be another story :)

Mike.

Kame
14-05-2003, 10:18 PM
I'm just so shocked at why MS is getting annoyed with people burning CDs. I burnt Monster Truck Madness 2. I started distributing it around my class and they all enjoyed playing with the CD.

It's fun watching them throw around melted plastic like a frisbee.

godfather
14-05-2003, 10:33 PM
> why cant Ms put the product key on a sticker on the
> CD-Rom?

Because in todays 52 x CD drives the unbalance effect could be dreadful.

I write the key on all my originals, using a CD marker pen, as soon as they are opened.

HadO
15-05-2003, 12:51 AM
Good point godfather.

I have often bought mags (DVD/CD-ROM coverdiscs) and found a strange increasingly loud humming/vibration noise coming from the optical drive - the disc is unbalanced and ready to smash to bits inside and ruin your day.

Still, I think robsonde means any type of marking not really anything with weight. I suppose MS thinks it would be hard to type in the key and read it off the CD while it should be in the drive - but the option should be available for cases like Rob's where the manual/peice of paper is lost.

;)

Thomas
15-05-2003, 07:42 AM

>I write the key on all my originals, using a CD marker pen, as soon as >they are opened.

We wouldn' expect anything less from YOU godfather.

antmannz
15-05-2003, 02:36 PM
A client of mine had the same problem but in reverse. Had a valid CD-key, but no CD.

Do you think Symantec would ship another CD? No way. I got told to go out and buy a new one. Last time I use, or recommend any Symantec product. X-(

robo
15-05-2003, 02:59 PM
I just don't get it. Would a pirate ring and ask for help? Maybe they would. But the reality is that it doesn't really prevent piracy, just pisses off paying customers. If you've had your CD swiped by someone, they are the pirate, not you.
It's the opposite of the innocent until proven guilty thing. I sort of understand where they are coming from but it goes against almost every principle of customer service. In the software business:
"the customer is always wrong"
robo.

Graham L
15-05-2003, 03:19 PM
In most other industries, a faulty product entitles you to a fixed one, or your money back. The software guarantee explicitly tells you that it doesn't have to work. What do you expect?

Chris Randal
15-05-2003, 03:27 PM
"The software guarantee explicitly tells you that it doesn't have to work. "

But that doesn't wash with the Consumer Guarantees Act that states that an item has to be fit for the purpose for which it is sold.

If you can't get a program to work because it is faulty, you get your money back - no ifs, no buts, no maybes.

Chris

antmannz
15-05-2003, 03:48 PM
And the music industry is starting its journey down this road:

"Who cares if our new whizzy-copy-protected CD doesn't play in your machine? It plays in ours, so no, you can't have your money back."