Jen C
13-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Hi all :)

System specs:
Windows ME
GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 32MB
Pent 933 MHz
Monitor Likom 7034LD

I have misplaced my monitor refresh rate option on my WinME machine. To cut a long story short, WinME fell to bits at the seams yesterday and I decided to reinstall windows using a ghost image that was created from a previous fresh install, but had all the drivers/windows etc updates included at that point. I then went to change some display settings and noticed that I had no option to change the refresh rate.

I have downloaded the lasted NVIDIA drivers 43.45 for Win 9x as well as the latest mobo VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers. Still no refresh rate available.

Looking at Monitors under Device Manager I can see two default monitors listed. I tried deleting one, but upon reboot the New Hardware detection jumps up and promptly installs software for a unknown device (monitor) and I am back to having two again. Disabling one monitor makes no difference either (after reboot). There are also two monitors listed on the NVIDIA GeForce 2 display drop down list (both default monitors).

I have checked all the possible tabs under Display Properties > Settings > Advanced and there is no refresh rate option available.

I think having two monitors listed maybe behind this but I don't know how to fix that.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks
Jen :)

Chilling_Silently
13-05-2003, 04:13 PM
Im sure you can use the nVidia Utilities to adjust it somewhere.. Otherwise try un-installing your monitor and then having Windows Auto-Detect it again!

Jen C
13-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Hi Chilling

NVIDIA utilities only brings up the standard display properties box for adjusting settings. I just tried deleted from Device Manager both instances of the default monitor and rebooted. Windows new hardware detecter promptly detected the monitor, installed the software and then detected another uknown monitor and also installed the software - so I am back to the two default monitors again :(

Just a thought, would the KVM switch have any influence on this? When I added it to the system initially (on the now-dead installation) Windows ME detected new hardware and updated something (only caught this as it finished). I never checked the display properties after that, so I might of had another default monitor listed perhaps?

The other machine (XP) that shares the KVM switch doesn't have this problem and only shows the one monitor.

Cheers
Jen

Terry Porritt
13-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Interesting, just doing a bit of Googling, and it turns out that NTI KVM switches dont support plug and play monitors.
http://www.networktechinc.com/faq.html

Maybe nothing to do with your problem Jen, but on the other hand it does sound like the KVM may be the root of the problem?

Jen C
13-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Thanks Terry

My KVM switch does support plug-n-play monitors. But you did get me thinking. I have deleted both default monitors under Device Manager and then shut the PC down. I then removed the KVM switch and booted it up again. This time only one monitor was detected - yay! :-). A quick check under Display Properties shows my refresh rate option has returned. Under Device Manage I do still have two monitors listed: one default and one Plug n Play Monitor this time instead.

I have made my adjustment to the refresh rate and I will now shut the ME PC down again, reconnect the KVM switch and see what happens. I am hoping that my setting for the refresh rate remains, even though the option to change it might vanish again. The monitor had a noticable flicker previously so I should be able to tell if the new refresh rate is being used (I hope).

Let you know how I get on. :-)

Jen

Jen C
13-05-2003, 06:05 PM
OK back again

Yes, windows did again detect a "new" monitor with the KVM switch back in place. :_| I am back to the two default monitors and no plug-n-play monitor listed. The refresh rate option has also gone again. But I *think* my new refresh rate is still current. The screen resolution had certainly changed back to 800x600 from the 1024x768 I had it set on.

So next question - how to get Windows ME to play nicely with the KVM switch when WinXP obviously can? Is there some setting I can change somewhere to make it detect the plug-n-play monitor?

Here are the details (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3ec07c55056fb0e22742c0a87f99074e/Product/View/XH4512) on my KVM switch stating that it supports plug-n-play.

Cheers
Jen

-=JM=-
13-05-2003, 07:07 PM
I'd look at getting it replaced as that is certainly not what has happened with my KVM at all. Going through my KVM my monitor is detected as an "AOC Spectrum 7Klr 7KlrA" which is exactly what it is. Had no problems with WIndows 2000 or Windows 98SE either.

4bes
14-05-2003, 05:00 AM
Hi Jen
Have you tried changing one of the moniters from 'default' to 'plug & play'? or if your moniter profile is in the list, use that. :)

Jen C
14-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Thanks 4bes, but you don't get a choice - Windows decides for you and it seems bent on having two default monitors with the KVM switch in place.

I phoned the company that I purchased the KVM switch from, and they had never heard of this problem before. He was actually quite suprised to hear I was running Windows ME with the switch (I can only presume he is used to dealing with business orientated OS's). He did offer to replace the switch, but he doubted it was a fault with the device as WinXP has no problems with it.

Apart from losing the refresh rate option in WinME, the KVM switch is working a treat for me so I will leave it as is for the time being.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions :-)

Jen

4bes
14-05-2003, 09:27 PM
Hi Jen
If you cant change it through display properties/advanced options, you may be able to change it through the device manager. I had a problem with my moniter not working properly under 'plug & play' and I fixed it by selecting 'update driver' then manually picked it from a list. It has been over a year since I've used ME so my memory is getting a bit fuzzy.
Hopefully you will find a solution somewhere. :)

Jen C
14-05-2003, 10:12 PM
I tried previously to update the driver, but Windows reports that I am using the best driver already. You do not get an option to choose from a list of drivers from within WinME for the monitor. I have also tried looking for an appropriate driver to download with no success (my Likom monitor is also known as Viewmate).

I have also had a good look in the BIOS settings and all the PnP settings look correct.

Cheers
Jen

godfather
14-05-2003, 10:19 PM
> I have also had a good look in the BIOS settings and
> all the PnP settings look correct.

I am searching my braincells for this, as I ran that KVM under Win ME.

From memory, PnP might have been the problem. Perhaps you DONT want the PC to detect it has another monitor when it sees the KVM.

Disable PnP and force the driver?

I think I forced a driver on it, by using the "I will specify the location..." or whatever ME uses.

I know it wouldn't keep the monitor I told it to use when I set it up, but I did get around it quickly and easily.

Jen C
14-05-2003, 10:57 PM
Hi godfather

I cannot force another driver on it as I don't have one to use instead. I have just tried another couple of things.

Firstly, I went back into BIOS and set PnP OS installed to NO, rebooted and removed both monitors from the device manager and then rebooted again - but two monitors were again detected by Windows. I then noticed under the GeForce2 properties there was an option to automatically detect Plug and Plug monitors so I removed that tick. Deleted both monitors again and rebooted, but (sigh) they are both back again as default.

In the BIOS under Pnp/PCI Configurations there was another option called "Resources Controlled by:" which is set to AUTO (ESCD). This is the blurb that went with it: BIOS can automatically configure all the boot and plug and play compatible devices. If you choose AUTO you cannot select IRQ and DMA and memory based address fields, since BIOS automatically assigns them.
I got the very strong feeling I shouldn't touch this setting :D.

Jen