PDA

View Full Version : How do I format WinME

hamstar
13-05-2003, 12:09 AM
I am baffled. My friends ME system needs 'cleansing' and I said I'd do it for her. But. Me was the first system to have DOS running on it instead of under it right. So no out-of-OS command propt here! Tried getting the boot menu up. Couldn't remember the key for '00 + computers but got it up somehow. No command prompt! Hmmmm... I can just see Microsoft's Lisence Agreement now:

'You may not at anytime, remove Microsoft Corporation software, from your computer, for any reason, in any way, shape or form...'

And of course there is no way you can format a drive while reading from it. The only other thing I can think of is DBAN. But how would you format or downgrade if this utility was not available?

jackyht
13-05-2003, 12:22 AM
Hi hamstar

format hard drive sometimes it is a hard bit.. but in terms of using Windows Me, it should be a fine thing...

All you need to do is, find a computer that can load Windows Me, and then, click on the a system disk on the Add/Remove program (under Control Panel). Create the disk

After that, insert the disk, make sure you HDD is bootable on A drive 1st... (change in CMOS if necessary)!! after that every thing loaded, ur cd rom should be ready to load

goto A drive and type format c: and u can format ur hard drive instantly... then do ur usual step. setup windows ME... but please make sure you check whether ur windows is a full version or not.. if it is upgrade, windows ME will ask u the old copy of Windows 98 to verify ....

after that follow that step, u r on ur way to reinstall windows me again!!!

hamstar
27-05-2003, 08:28 PM
thanks for the tip but straight after i [posted this i found dariks boot and nuke and used that. but it took from 12.45 in the afternoon to 7pm!

then i went to install MSDOS and it did a format in under a minute!!!:_|