PDA

View Full Version : Problem opening links in new internet explorer window

ericto
12-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Can anyone make suggestions regarding a problem I have in opening internet links in another internet explorer window. The link opens in the same window but refuses to open in another window. The same thing happens when I click on a link that automatically opens a new window.

I couldn't even download windows updates using IE because nothing happens when the download web-page dialog box appears (after you agree to the licenses).

I can however, copy the link shortcut to the clipboard and manually open a new IE window, then paste the link to the address bar but this method will not work on links that automatically opens a new window. I am annoyed though that the shortest way (right click on link and click on open link in new window) can't be used.

My OS is Win XP SP1 Home and I have IE6 SP1 installed.

stu140103
12-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Have you tried to repair/ or reselling of IE 6.0???

You can do that under add/remove Programs

metla
12-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Have you by any chance got a pop-up killer running?...a couple i have tried in the past have caused the same thing.(i recommend proximitron.......but who am i to say..)

You could try pressing the shift key as you hit a link,i belive that forces a new window.

And i believe theres an option relating to opening new windows under tools>internet options>advanced.

Or you could try the repair option as suggested.

Personally i tend to re-install ie6 off a cd,ive had problems on peoples computers where the repair option didnt work,due to particuly nasty hotbars/toolbars....

ericto
12-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Thank you for your suggestions. I do not have a pop-up killer running.

The shift-click link combination does force a new window. However, the new window still does not show the contents of the link.

I have checked the internet options, nothing there about opening new windows. Only about reusing windows for launching shortcuts, which I have disabled.

I have also tried to reinstall IE6 from the PC World Plus! CD but it keeps on saying I have a newer version already installed, even when I already uninstalled IE! I suspect the IE uninstall function does not really remove IE, but only disables it.

Any more suggestions? I will try anything to solve this problem.

Jim B
12-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Try some of these.

Start/Run/CMD. Type this command: REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL
Reboot. Then go to: IE/Tools/Internet Options/Programs/Reset Web Settings.

Go to my computer, view/folder options/file types (or control panel, folder options depending on your operating system.

Scroll down to the URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocols, click edit twice and make sure the following is in the application used to perform action box:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome

Run the following commands from start/run. Run each line individually. After each run, you should see a short message stating the command was successful.
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll