PDA

View Full Version : Installation of libSDL-1.1.so.0 would be..??

Chilling_Silently
12-05-2003, 09:23 AM
Im just downloading libSDL-1.1.so.0 so I can hope to get some media players working...
Only thing is Ive never installed a file ending in .so.0
How do I do it?
When its done should I simply try double-clicking on it, or is it missing a .rpm extension?

Please 'scuze the ignorance of the subject ;-)

Thanks

Chill.

bmason
12-05-2003, 11:02 AM
First off, SDL is the linux equivilant of directx. ".so" means its a libary (equivilant to a DLL in winders). Not sure why they put a .0 on the end sometimes.

Your distro should come with newer version than 1.1 which will probably be already installed. Otherwise copying it over to /usr/lib might work.

Chilling_Silently
12-05-2003, 12:43 PM
Okay, thanks. I'll give that a try.

Why would the apps ask for it then if it was installed?

Im with RedHat 8.0

Graham L
12-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Libraries are special. :D

Have a look at /lib and /usr/lib with ls -l You will see that there are links, pointing to the actual files. This is so that porgrammes using shared libraries (which most do, these days) can refer to the libraries by a fixed name, even when the libraries are updated. MS DLL's keep the same name through all their versions, which can lead to confusion. ;-)

Normally a new library is installed with a script which makes the new link. You probably need a link "libSDL-1.1.so", pointing at the libSDL1.1.so.0 file. This might be the problem. :D Or you might have the link, and not the file. :_| If that is the case, you will need to make a new link (probably using the --force option if the link already exists).

Chilling_Silently
12-05-2003, 07:10 PM
Yeah, there was the shortcut to libSDL-1.2..... but it didnt work.. copying the new file didnt work, neither did renaming the 1-2 shortcut..

Any other suggestions?

The main thing here is that I just wanna play MPeg's.. surely its not that hard is it?

Kame
12-05-2003, 07:12 PM
get libSDL-1.1.so.o

bmason
12-05-2003, 07:17 PM
I'm using mplayer (actualy kmplayer) which has played everything I've thrown at it. But I don't know of any good redhat RPMs for it.

I don't know what software is included with redhat, but mandrake came with xine and kabooble (part of the kde-multimedia package) which may be on the redhat cds.

Chilling_Silently
12-05-2003, 07:18 PM
kaboodle is but doesnt seem to wanna play?

Graham L
13-05-2003, 01:20 PM
"renaming the ... shortcut" ?:| You don't rename links. They are not MS shortcuts. They are links. They are created in a special way so they point at the location where a file is stored. They don't use the filename, they use the inode. It's all right to make and delete links. Anything else will cause problems.

Also ... is it ".0", ".O", or ".o"? It matters.

Chilling_Silently
13-05-2003, 03:12 PM
Zero - 0

Just thinking.. Xine is on the Mandrake CD's so I might have a look into them later on :-)

Graham L
13-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Xine is recommended in the May PC Authority. The guy suggests that you get it from FreshRPMS for RedHat.

Chilling_Silently
13-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks Graham - While I was offline (Before reading that thread) I devided to install Mandrake for the heck of it on a second PC I have.

I saw one package called Xine-oss so I decided to check out the CD's.. and low and behold there's a package on there called Xine-oss***.rpm and now I have sound if I specify the OSS driver by using:
xine -A oss

Great!

Now... onto my next Linux thread here :-)