PDA

View Full Version : xtraMSN Photos - no longer available

J ZEP
10-05-2003, 10:11 PM
Hi all, this is just a general out of interest topic. As an xtra dial-up customer, when i signed up i was pointed in the direction of the xtraMSN Photos, which is promoted "like" the free webspace for xtra for photos kind of thing almost (even though i understood it was free). I have used this for sharing photos with family/friends over the past couple of years and found it was good, with the 30mb storage space being rather exceptional, but also because it was easy for inexperienced fam & friends to use too. Anyway MSN have finally pulled the plug on this (i received the e-mail about it yesterday and i guess it was inevitable it would change to pay for) - as MSN 8 is now going to replace it and it is user paid etc... however it appears that the MSN 8 user pays is not available in N.Z yet (well from everything i can find anyway, but somebody may prove me wrong :-)) .
Is anybody here in N.Z a paid member of MSN 8??
I am wondering now if anybody can point me in the direction of a similar kind of Photo sharing site (free would be great;-) but...) .

Also I am interested in what kind of packages other ISP companies deliver in relation to webspace inclusive of their dial-up connection basic packages with unlimited hours per month. Main reason is if i am going to pay for an isp, then i may as well pay for one i get some kind of web space for my money i guess, as at the moment i pay about $28 month for unlimited hours, but no webspace with xtra, or is this pretty standard of other isp's? - its pretty odd that Orcon or the like can provide you with "free" webspace and yet xtra don't when you pay them ?:| X-( .
I just don't like the way they kind of promote msn photos and communities on their sign up site pages like they are theirs kind of thing (presumably cause of the xtramsn affiliation - if thats what you would call it?) - like here on the right of this page under the heading: Your Webspace, Personal Webpages link takes you to msn communities and then they have the link for msnPhotos

Here (http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/)

and the photos page is called: xtraMSN Photos with the url being the same i.e http://photos.xtramsn.co.nz....................

It is just a little odd and disappointing i feel that if they have some kind of affiliation/connection with msn that they wouldn't be involved in the msn 8 subscription?

Any feedback on any similar kind of Photo sharing sites (as opposed to general webspace) people use and like would be great thanks, and also what kind of webspace you get for the same kind of price i pay, from your isp would be most interesting for me :-)

Cheers

Jester
10-05-2003, 10:23 PM
You could browse to msn Groups, which are still free, and provide a space for you to post your photos, documents, links etc. Family can join your 'group' and post messages in a forum like this Press F1 one here.

http://groups.msn.com/home - click Create Your own Group

msn8 is an integrated browser / email / instant message / .net passport / other services product, totally msn branded, and quite different to Microsoft Internet Explorer. It's developed to be run instead of IE. It's a 'pay for' service in the States, but not essential to still access Hotmail / msn groups / msn chat etc.

J.
:D

Jester
10-05-2003, 10:26 PM
.... and in answer to your other question, Paradise provides 10 megs storage space for you to upload files etc. You can then make a web page to display this information, not quite as easy as adding to an online album, but definitely more rewarding, and no banner/pop-up ads either!

J
:D

stu140103
10-05-2003, 10:29 PM
Bugger :( oh well it was good when it lasted

J ZEP
10-05-2003, 11:37 PM
Thanks Jester, yes i do have the msn explorer browser now and i can use either that or i.e like most browsers, it came with xp, it is the version below the new msn 8 one - the msn 8 is just an upgrade basically i have read. Only thing with msn groups is it doesn't have the space i am needing, as in only having 3mb as opposed to 30mb that msnPhotos has/had. Main thing is the family liked the slideshow and stuff on msnphotos and it was really easy for them to use. I will just have to find a host with enough space i guess and after having a look around now i have come up with a few - i have done a couple of sites already so thats not a prob. but mainly looking at ease of use for the family etc... and in paticular for a slideshow I had made in msnPhotos of our best friend who passed on, which worked well and was his life story kind of thing - taking up about 20 or more mbs :O. I was kind of hoping there might have been a site around that had a similar setup before i started another webpage for it.
Thanks for the imfo. on paradise and the feedback :-)

Baldy
10-05-2003, 11:54 PM
There are other sites that are free.

Try Webshots........... Can't remember url, but you can get there via Google

J ZEP
11-05-2003, 12:42 AM
:-) Thanks Baldy, had just googled to that site as i read your post and your definately right there are other free similar sites (which i am now starting to find)- hmm now which one to go with..... i should have done a google before i posted :D

stu140103
12-05-2003, 06:04 PM
> Also I am interested in what kind of packages other
> ISP companies deliver in relation to webspace
> inclusive of their dial-up connection basic packages
> with unlimited hours per month. Main reason is if i
> am going to pay for an isp, then i may as well pay
> for one i get some kind of web space for my money i
> guess, as at the moment i pay about $28 month for
> unlimited hours, but no webspace with xtra, or is
>this pretty standard of other isp's?

Most major ISP e.g. ihug , clear, Quicksilver etc… offer free web space when you have a account with them.

> its pretty odd
> that Orcon or the like can provide you with "free"
>webspace and yet xtra don't when you pay them ?:|

Xtra does provide free web space with MSN see here:

http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,6034,00.html#communities

& here: http://www.xtra.co.nz/products/0,,5845,00.html

Sorry about the delay in replying to your post :)

I hope this helps.

J ZEP
12-05-2003, 06:55 PM
Hi stu, thanks for the reply, but the point i am trying to make is null now anyway - as the link you posted used to also have msn Photos on that page, they have obviously removed it today in line with stopping it i presume, but thanks for the reply :-). I know about msngroups with 3mb wow :^O - when orcon give me 10mb for $0, and it wouldn't surprise me if msngroups is headed the same way as msn Photos (evolving into msn8/userpays). What I really meant is its quite cheapskatish cause anybody can/could join msnPhotos and msnGroups you don't have to be an xtra customer. Yet they are kind of promoted like xtra services a bit ;-)
:-) :-) :-)

supergran
12-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Get a yahoo id user name, and go to http://www.yahoo.com and you can put up to 30 mg of photos there. Easy to upload, and to organise.

J ZEP
12-05-2003, 09:47 PM
Thanks supergran :-), as I already have a Yahoo i.d I'd checked them out last night and I have got down to between these:

:-) Just in case anybody else is looking for photo storage too :-)

"YahooPhotos" with 30mg storage, only thing i don't like is you seem to only be able to share your photos with other people who have yahoo id's (so i would just have to get the family & friends to get a yahoo id).

"Webshots" who look good, don't have storage amount in mbs designated that i can see, but have 10 albums with up to 24 photos per album max. for the free mem. one, which isn't too bad & you can share with anybody by invite e-mail like msnphotos had.

Another one i looked at was "Webphotos" however the free mem. only allows your Album 90days online from its creation but up to 150mb, then they are deleted.

There are still a few more to check out yet though too :-)

cebo
12-05-2003, 10:29 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/

unlimited storage space for photos, and a decent amount for video as well. However, read the agreement carefully first.

tones_malones
13-05-2003, 10:39 AM
you don't need an id, you can go in as a guest...

you can share photos with friends, just make sure the box which says "share with public" it ticked, who else will visit eg/ http://photos.yahoo.com/our_photos_2000 ?

just tell your family & friends the address and it'll be sweet.

=)

TonesMalones

J ZEP
13-05-2003, 05:37 PM
:-) Cebo & Tones, thanks for the replies.

>1Cebo
That site looks rather good and its a real bonus being able to upload vid and share that too ;-) Thanks

>1Tones
Thanks for the link to your yahoo photo site so i could check it out, i probably didn't explain myself properly, but i was under the impression if i had photos that i wanted to share on yahoo with selected family and friends only, not make them public and available to anybody, then they would have to have yahoo id's?? ?:|
I love your pic of the pink tanned poser B-) :D

tones_malones
14-05-2003, 05:10 PM
ahhh i see (said the blinde girl, who lost her specs :Z) yeah they would have to get yahoo id's, but honestly, who else would want to see photo's that are only relevant to your family and friends?

when i first started up that url mentioned prev. it was so hard tryin to get everyone to sign up, so in the end i just made it public, i mean who'd wanna see a bunch of my friends in a drunken state? (or poor pink pantha dressed like a lady??)

TonesMalones

jasperbg
16-07-2005, 07:00 PM
[Edit - post removed. Please do not spam the board with your website - Jen (Moderator) ]

Renmoo
16-07-2005, 07:15 PM
There's a local (NZ) one called [edit] I find it really good. 100 photos for free, unlimited for $20. No trial period or anything pesky like that, it's just free for up to 100 photos. Support is really fast & good too.

You might want to check out Flickr (http://www.flickr.com) as well.