PDA

View Full Version : OT - Telecom Collectors Phone Cards

Smithie 38
10-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Hi folks.
A few years ago, over a period of time, I purchased Telecom Collectors phonecards and have quite a collection. These were to be an investment for retirement. What a laugh, they are now virtually worthless. Last month a Phonecard dealer in Wellington offered me 20% of the face value.
Has anyone ever offered their collections over the internet to overseas buyers, or disposed of them locally?
I cant see these ever becoming valuable in the future and the only thing I can think of doing with them is to let the grandkids play snap or something similar when they visit.
That might keep them occupied for half an hour.

cyberchuck
10-05-2003, 01:33 PM
I saw that TelstraClear were offering Collectors Edition Cards for LOTR at the ICE Expo.. Pay $200 for them and they're worth more at the end apparantly - there are only 2000 of these packs in circulation...
The only problem occurs when LOTR dies out and the cards aren't worth anything... That's the problems with investments - gotta keep watching their price...
Have a look around Ebay (http://www.ebay.com) or TradeMe (http://www.trademe.co.nz) too see what other cards are at...

CyberChuck

Baldy
10-05-2003, 01:36 PM
> The only problem occurs when LOTR dies out and the
> cards aren't worth anything...

LOTR dies out?

Graham L
10-05-2003, 01:44 PM
You missed the fine print. Those cards were designed to supply the retirement income for the Telecom executives. They laughed all the way to the bank. People buying cards which are prepaid for sums up to $50, and which never be used so the money is straight profit (the cards must have cost all of $0.02 to produce).

I hope you don't buy Franklin Mint "limited editions" of "collectibles".

Things which have no intrinsic value have no investment value. Not even in the "new economy". Especially in the "new economy". They have as much value as a politician's promise. How much are your Enron shares worth now?

cyberchuck
10-05-2003, 01:54 PM
> > The only problem occurs when LOTR dies out and the
> > cards aren't worth anything...

> LOTR dies out?

There's only 3 books in the series isn't there?? So about 10 years down the track when my parents have kicked me outta the house and I'm down Queenstown road busking by mimicing modem handshakes :p, there'll be bigger and better movies to see!

Smithie 38
10-05-2003, 02:28 PM
I hope you don't buy Franklin Mint "limited editions"
of "collectibles".

No, thankfully I did not buy any coins from Franklin Mint. Yes I must admit I helped Telecom to post record profits and pay their Executives enormous salaries, and I am not the only sucker unfortunately.