PDA

View Full Version : How do I use TV-Out on my Video Card to get picture + sound on my TV??!!

PoWa
08-05-2003, 11:28 AM
I have a GF4 mx440, 64mb, 8xAGP with Tv-out on the back.

I want to play a few divX movies from my PC and get the picture and sound coming out on the TV - at high quality.

How do I actually get this to work? I've been into DSE and they were really no help at all.

My Sony Triniton TV (Model T29?) has the standard coaxial cable input at the back,
A video input section at the front that has Video in (yellow hole) and Audio in (black hole)

At the back of the tv, it has:
Video In: Audio, Video holes
Monitor Out: Audio, Video holes.

What equipment do I need, where can I get it from and how do I do I set it up??

I can't believe they make it so difficult just to get video from your comp to your tv!

Chilling_Silently
08-05-2003, 11:45 AM
This isnt too hard if you know what you're doing:

You'll need:

A double Male ended RCA lead for TV-Out
A 3.5mm Male to 2x RCA Male lead for sound. Put the 3.5mm end into the Line Out jack on your SoundCard, then the 2x RCA leads into ya telly!

And you're away!

From there, simply open up the Display Settings and go into the Advanced Settings... Have a look around in the nVidia tools in there :-)

Ive done it many times, post back if you need clarification :-)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

BTW - Its pretty useless for general Desktop use.. but Vids/DivX/DVD's etc play great!

godfather
08-05-2003, 11:45 AM
You need an RCA to RCA lead for your video signal. (Assuming the fly-lead on your MX440 is RCA for TV out as the MX460 is

You need an RCA to 3.5 mm plug lead for your audio.

Yellow Video in RCA socket on the TV goes to Video out on the PC
Audio in RCA socket on the TV goes to the LINE input of your soundcard. (3.5 mm socket)

You will need to select the Line input of your soundcard in Volume control.

You will need to run whatever software, or use display properties to tell the PC to use Video Out (TV Out)

Terry Porritt
08-05-2003, 12:37 PM
Err....... Im a bit confused here, Chilling seems to be assuming the TV has stereo input, whereas as Goddie says you just need a 3.5mm (mono) jack to RCA, which is correct, though a stereo lead would work ok.

Goddie says connect to the soundcard line in instead of line out, Im sure that is just a slip of typing. In volume control just Line needs to be selected, and in Open Volume Controls-Options-Properties-Playback, ensure the line box is ticked ( this is for Win98 BTW, probably similar in XP?)
?:|

CYaBro
08-05-2003, 12:52 PM
From reading the original post the TV is only mono (black audio RCA sockets)
If it were stereo then it would have white & red audio RCA sockets

Chilling_Silently
08-05-2003, 01:29 PM
:D

I was just covering all my bases... Why not have stereo sound if you can... and if you've only got one input into the TV, then you'll only get mono anyways wont you?

Either way, you're not going to die if you only use one.

I use two though, for stereo sound.. into my Home Theatre system :-) Works a treat!

PoWa
08-05-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm lost now :p

Too much technical jargon!!

Whats an RCA slot, whats a 3.5mm jack look like etc? colour might help :)

Where do I buy them from?

PoWa
08-05-2003, 02:12 PM
>You need an RCA to RCA lead for your video signal. (Assuming the fly-lead on your MX440 is RCA for TV out as the MX460 is
>GodFather

My tv-out on the card looks like it can have 4tiny pins go into it, and one tiny squareish size pin.

There is no place on the tv for an RCA cord.

PoWa
08-05-2003, 02:15 PM
If at all possible...direct me to the webpage that sells this special cord. :D

Thanks!!

CYaBro
08-05-2003, 02:24 PM
It sounds like your video card has an S-Video socket so you will need a cable to go from S-Video (on video card) to RCA video in (on the TV). Will also need 3.5mm plug to RCA to go from sound card to the audio in (on the TV.)

Here are the links for you:

3.5mm mono plug to RCA (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3eb9beb903ddd5d42740c0a87f990775/Product/View/C1080)

S-Video to RCA (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3eb9beb903ddd5d42740c0a87f990775/Product/View/C1233)

I hope that helps.

PoWa
08-05-2003, 07:08 PM
Ok, thanks everyone for your help!!

I've bought the items you mention from DSE CyaBro. Thanks for explaining it a bit better.

The items won't ship till the end of the month apparently cos DSE are out of stock :\

Hey Chill, when you output to your tv, do you get good quality movie??? Some guy at DSE was saying that you needed some special converter to convert from 600lines to 300lines? No idea what he was on about but...

godfather
08-05-2003, 07:23 PM
The mx440 series have an s-video type socket but ship with a flylead to convert to RCA. Or should have.

In the case of my MX460, its a multi-pin socket and a lead that breaks it out to Video In, Video Out in SVHS plug format plus Video In and Video Out in RCA format.

Read the manual regarding the socket on your MX440, is it genuinely SVHS or a specially wired socket for the supplied adapter lead?

artyone
08-05-2003, 08:47 PM
I can sympathise with ya Bro,not understanding the jargon,but thats the way its gotta be,The thing is that the TV out isn't really a TV out but a video out.So the CPU sends the signal split into sound and video,cards,which convert to various signal types for various outputs.The soundcards output is usually a line level,1 volt rms analog signal,so it can go into most AUX type inputs and CD inputs on stereos.The video output I haven't got into yet but suffice to say it would feed an average TV's video input from your cards "TV" out.While you've got an order in at DSE get a catalogue to familiarise yourself with the odds and ends and in no time you'll be spoutin' techy jargon like your the King Geek H'self!signal junkies of the worlds unite...

Chilling_Silently
08-05-2003, 10:50 PM
> Hey Chill, when you output to your tv, do you get
> good quality movie???

Yep, Ive downloaded about 4 gigs of Music Video's, some at 320x240, and others at varying resolutions... They all play with Suprisingly good quality on the TV, seeing as they're so small res.

DVD's play the best though, running them at a 1024x768 res, it looks divine!

For normal desktop use though, you'll fine it a little hard to see at first, so it may be best if you make an Icon on your desktop for the Windows Magnifier, and dock it up the top of the screen, as it makes things a TON easier to see when navigating your desktop, or the Display Settings for that matter!

Its easy too, to setup the monitors to mirror each other, or be totally independant!

Post back if you need more :-)

Cheers

Chilling_Silence

PoWa
09-05-2003, 12:15 AM
Thing is, I bought the card second hand. And the guy that I bought it off, hasn't got around to bringing the manual to Tec for me :\

Are you sure the card would have come with those cords? I'll have to ask him for them to :p

Chilling_Silently
09-05-2003, 12:18 AM
Even if it didnt (Mine didnt come with Squat!), you should be able to pick the neccesary leads from DSE for under $15 bucks!

PoWa
09-05-2003, 12:33 AM
Lol, yea I tried the website and I'm gonna be paying $36 for the lot...and it wont ship till like June cos they ranout of stock. Sux ay!

Chilling_Silently
09-05-2003, 07:24 AM
Bugger - surely there's somewhere else you can get the cables from?

Why wait that long?

Ah, well... Let us know how you get on when it arrives :-)

Cheers

Chill.

PoWa
25-05-2003, 04:22 PM
I got my cords the other day and I tried it out. Wasn't too hard to figure out with the correct cords :) I ended up with a redundant white video cord (svideo to rca one). I only think I needed the yellow one fro plugging into the front of the tv. Maybe on the back of the tv I could use it :p

Anyway I could see windows fine, and it took a while to load up a divX movie but it played it fine without too much hassle. The windows quality wasn't that impressive and I could hardly read any fonts at all (my desktop was set to 1184x768. The movie quality was alright when i played an XviD movie, but a few DivX movies were worse much than vhs quality.

How can I improve the quality of video? What about a setting so I don't have to keep changing my desktop resolution to see whats on the tv clearly? Is there anyway I can keep some settings for the tv, and some for the computer? I'm not seeing this in the nvidia display panel :p I think tvs are only 640x480??

Chill, what settings do you use for best quality?

Chilling_Silently
25-05-2003, 09:07 PM
> Anyway I could see windows fine, and it took a while
> to load up a divX movie but it played it fine without
> too much hassle. The windows quality wasn't that
> impressive and I could hardly read any fonts at all
> (my desktop was set to 1184x768. The movie quality
> was alright when i played an XviD movie, but a few
> DivX movies were worse much than vhs quality.

I didnt know that TV's ran at anything except 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 coz that's all mine will let me do?
For Desktop use.. use the Magnifier coz nothing will get it clearer!
Set your screen res. to 1024x768 on Both output's Id recommend :-)

> How can I improve the quality of video? What about a
> setting so I don't have to keep changing my desktop
> resolution to see whats on the tv clearly? Is there
> anyway I can keep some settings for the tv, and some
> for the computer? I'm not seeing this in the nvidia
> display panel :p I think tvs are only 640x480??

Try changing the res on both.. I cant remember if you have an nvidia card, but it should be dead easy to change over if you go into the Advanced Display settings.. :-)

> Chill, what settings do you use for best quality?

1024x768.. I'll post back in about 15 mins when im on my PC with TV-O so I can help out a lil more :-)

Cheers

Chill.

godfather
25-05-2003, 09:20 PM
TV screen resolution is very low compared to computer monitor resolution.

Thats why a 29" TV is $900, but a 29" computer monitor would require a mortgage on the house.

That said, its surprising what some graphics will display like, but never try to use the TV as a monitor for general computer use, or you may go blind!!

Chilling_Silently
25-05-2003, 09:42 PM
Yes, very good point there!

Still, for Video, its pretty darn good quality, full-screen or not!

Here's som

> > Anyway I could see windows fine, and it took a
> while
> > to load up a divX movie but it played it fine
> without
> > too much hassle.

Just thinking it shouldnt really be any different.. Ive run 5x PCI VGA cards off a P75 with 64MB RAM with no effect.. little different I know.. but the performance hit should be less than a second to load your media player up in reality...

> > How can I improve the quality of video? What about
> a
> > setting so I don't have to keep changing my
> desktop
> > resolution to see whats on the tv clearly? Is
> there
> > anyway I can keep some settings for the tv, and
> some
> > for the computer? I'm not seeing this in the
> nvidia
> > display panel :p I think tvs are only 640x480??

Okay.. right-click on ya desktop and choose Properties.
Click on the Settings Tab,
Click on the Advanced Button
A new window should appear with a tab somewhere, mine says GeForce4 MX 440 coz that's the card I have, yours should say similar I would think.

A little box should pop out the side of the window after your PC resets its monitor or something.. Click on Desktop Utilities near the bottom of the new menu
Click on Enable Dualview (Putting a Tick in the Box).
It explains what it does, making it see two monitors in the Display Properties so you can set each monitor as a seperate resolution, however Video only plays on the Primary Display!

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chill.

PoWa
25-05-2003, 10:16 PM
>Thats why a 29" TV is $900, but a 29" computer monitor would require a mortgage on the house.

lol. :D Any idea when HDTV's are coming out in NZ??

And thanks Chill! I'm gonna keep this as a reference for later use :)

Lohsing
25-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Just thought you might find this site (http://come.to/tvout) of some help...

Also, read up on home-theatre PC's from here (http://www.gideontech.com/guides/htpc/) ... all very useful stuff to do what you want to do.

Lo.

communal
21-04-2006, 06:11 PM
:help: Right Guys thats all good if u have rca conectors on both ends, but what about an rca connection at tv and vga(monitor port) at computer end :help:

Speedy Gonzales
21-04-2006, 06:20 PM
:help: Right Guys thats all good if u have rca conectors on both ends, but what about an rca connection at tv and vga(monitor port) at computer end :help:

If the videocard doesnt have video out u cant do anything. You'll have to buy a videocard, with video out on it.

bartsdadhomer
21-04-2006, 06:34 PM
http://www.gumboot.co.nz/product.asp?p=14&i=6235