PDA

View Full Version : new motherboard windows 2000

hcbear
08-05-2003, 12:28 PM
my motherboard died on my windows 2000 machine. a new motherboard brings up a blue screen as different IDE controllers so cannot boot. I cannot repair (have tried) and cannot format as important data and email files to be kept. is there a way to get the machine booting any other way (ie registry hack using the recovery console or something?)

Chilling_Silently
08-05-2003, 12:49 PM
So repair doesnt work...
Safe mode doesnt work..
Re-Installation over top?

Otherwise, you can always try using Knoppix and getting the Data off using that... to a secondary partition, across a LAN, or burning it to a CD?

whetu
08-05-2003, 01:15 PM
have you got another machine handy, or know someone with another machine? It doesnt matter what OS, even win98.. so long as the machine can support the hdd... if your drive is formatted in ntfs, then any NT/2k/xp system should be able to support it, for a win98 host machine you'll need a small utility called ntfs for windows 98 that can be found here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfswin98.shtml

as soon as you can access your drive, back everything up through whatever method - onto another hdd, burn to cd's.. whatever. Throw your drive back into your computer, format and reinstall from scratch