PDA

View Full Version : Do You Trust PriceSpy??

bk T
05-05-2003, 04:31 PM
Can Pricespy be trusted? No, no. It's just a gimmick to lure people to their shop.

I went to Pricespy and made a search on memory sticks and found that Gamma Computers has the best offer at $45.00 for a 256 mb sdram. I went to their shop at Newton Road this morning and was told sarcastically that there is no way they can sell it at such a price! Its' $99 + GST per stick.

Who and how did they actually compile those so-called lowest pricelists at Pricespy? I won't be surprised that those retailer are manipulating the whole show - intentionally put up a low price just to lure potential buyers to come to their shop hoping that they might buy it since they are already there. If not they may buy something else. It is full of rubbish!!!!

Shame of you, Pricespy and the lot.

Graham L
05-05-2003, 04:35 PM
There's usually a simpler explanation for things like that. The technical term is "cockup". Look for that before you assume an evil consiracy.

Iain Walmsley
05-05-2003, 04:41 PM
Its called a error. It happens.

PriceSpy is an independant site that uses automated tools to check with the retailers website regarding price. There is no statement anywhere implying that it is 100% accurate, indeed if you read the about page it states explicitly that mistakes happen.

If you had bothered to check the retailer website and read the pricelist there, you would have seen that $99 was the current price, and would have saved yourself the trip.

Dont blame Gamma computers for a mistake made by PriceSpy.co.nz, nor for your own failure to check what would reasonably be assumed to be the accurate pricelist, namely that of the retailer.

Iain

bk T
05-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Well, I agree that errors do occur. But I still strongly belief that the whole thing is just a sales gimmick. I have my doubts that Pricespy is an independent body. It is only logical that they do get 'something' in return from the retailer for their 'work'. There is no free lunches in this realistic, cruel world.

I was my own mistake for not going to Gamma's website or even phone them before going there; which I am not blaming any body for that. The point I want to make here is,

Pricespy is full of rubbish.

Will never visit it again.

Susan B
05-05-2003, 05:43 PM
I don't think PriceSpy is a gimmick or a have. Whenever I check prices I always go to the website of whatever dealer has what I am interested in to check it out. If the dealer's website has their price wrong there is still not much you can do about it as most have a disclaimer for errors and omissions.

If nothing else PriceSpy is a good place to find dealers to buy your parts from and see what the going prices are for those parts.

roofus
05-05-2003, 05:47 PM
> Well, I agree that errors do occur. But I still
> strongly belief that the whole thing is just a sales
> gimmick. I have my doubts that Pricespy is an
> independent body. It is only logical that they do
> get 'something' in return from the retailer for their
> 'work'. There is no free lunches in this realistic,
> cruel world.
>
> I was my own mistake for not going to Gamma's website
> or even phone them before going there; which I am not
> blaming any body for that. The point I want to make
> here is,
>
> Pricespy is full of rubbish.
>
> Will never visit it again.

Theres always one.
Don't worry guys he's probably american...... or british.

-=JM=-
05-05-2003, 05:52 PM
PriceSpy does have the occasional problem but that is expected seeing as it is an automated system and not all retailers use the same description on their products.

When a retailer is found to be listing wrong prices and other dubious activitied I'm rather sure that PriceSpy remove that retailer when they hear about it.

You should however only use PriceSpy as a guide. A darned good one at that too.

Craigb
05-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Could they have meant US$45? Thats pretty close to the actual price.

Mike
05-05-2003, 07:12 PM
Another person complaining about a free service :)

I've been looking lately for info for upgrading my system. I've used Pricespy as a guide and only found 1 item (out of quite a few) to be incorrect - that RAM from Gamma... other than that everything was the correct current price at the suggested retailers. TBH I have a feeling that the price found at the Gamma site was for a Flash memory stick rather than the 256mb (if I remember rightly).

In the past I have found a few irregularities, but when I've approached the retailers concerned about the price difference they've mentioned that their price has recently changed and that they'd match it.

I use Pricespy all the time, and I've found it to be very reliable.

Mike.

cicero
05-05-2003, 07:28 PM
>
>Theres always one.
Don't worry guys he's probably american...... or british.

This bounder shold be banned from this forum,obviously no taste.

Murray P
05-05-2003, 07:55 PM
Hi bkT

I've used Pricespy extensively, as a guide.

I usually take the 3 consistently lowest stores then check them out. I'll also hop over to trademe to check out the deals their, alot of dealers/stores put specials up on trademe in the hopes of it being an extra special price for them ;) but thats what you expect at an auction site. You also need to check out the terms of trade for each store, delivery costs & time, etc. Generally I don't mind paying a little more for service and supporting a local or dealing with someone I know and trust.

Cheers

Murray P

bk T
05-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Well, for those who think that PriceSpy is a good, genuine and independent site, good luck to you all.

I'm not trying (can't anyway) convince anyone to stop using the site. I'm just trying to share my personal encounters (with PriceSpy) and my views. Do I have this little freedom, at all?

For your information (those who are interested), I'm neither American nor British; I am a New Zealander. By the way, has race or nationality got anything to do with this matter? Racists are NOT welcome in this Forum (any objections?) and in this country - New Zealand at large.

Elephant
05-05-2003, 10:01 PM
I agree Susan_B.

I don't live in a main centre and I know full well that local retailers are far out with their prices. Recently I wanted a scanner advertised at Dick Smiths for around $250 and went to the local retailer who didn't have the model I wanted. I asked for a price and he quoted $312.

I eventually drove about 80Km and picked one up for $178.

The petrol cost about $12 and of course there was the time which I didn't count as it allowed me to give my Wife a nice day out elsewhere with dinner.

Here is me killing two birds with one stone as it were.

I check ou PriceSpy and the retailer I bought from is in there but not the cheapest.

OTOH I have bought around $80,000 worth of Computer products from him over the last four years. I have had to return 3 sticks of RAM and 1 external Modem in that time. I have never had any complaints regarding warranty.

Now then.... Having had a rant...... I don't think that "Pricespy" has anything going with the retailers. It's a good idea to check it but it's also good to find a RELIABLE retailer near you.

Just my four cents worth. :-)

Chilling_Silently
05-05-2003, 10:10 PM
I have found PriceSpy to be an excellent tool.

I live in Auckland, so I usually simply go to QMB.co.nz, as they're exremely competitive with their pricing.

As for the RAM price, they have 256MB DDR RAM for around 50 bucks!
SD-RAM was a little more expensive when I last looked :-)

But you have to realise its a free service, and you certainly should have checked the Gamma Website beforehand, there may have been a special on that it missed?

As for Gamma, I found them to be pleasent to deal with, with competitive pricing, only matched (In some cases) by QMB.

I would recommend all 3 (QMB, Gamma, and the PriceSpy website) to anybody!

Elephant
05-05-2003, 10:17 PM
Hi Mike.

I'm a little curious on this one.

If I was buidng a NEW computer tomorow and had worked out what CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Vidoeo, Hard disk, CDWriter, DVD, Case, Power supply etc I wanted. Would you advise that I buy all these parts from separate retailers based on price only?

TonyF
05-05-2003, 10:20 PM
> Well, for those who think that PriceSpy is a good,
> genuine and independent site, good luck to you all.

bk T has made his (?) mind up on one price oddity - hardly counts as research on shopping ...........

But cheers anyway T

Greg S
05-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Yes. Think about it - he goes to a lot of trouble to link to the source of his information. I'd suggest that the error is in the retailers manipulating the info they supply - remember PriceSpy makes no secret that his info is automatically collated.

Chilling_Silently
05-05-2003, 10:21 PM
..I know you didnt ask me.. but I couldnt resist:

I went and search for the best prices all over NZ, checking all the websites as well when I built my PC.

I figured I could save myself a grand total of $23 if I bought from all over NZ, or... I could just buy it all from QMB, which is where all but 3 of the parts had cheapest pricing.

Then again - I may have done it right, coz one was in Wellington, the other in ChristChurch, so postage may have been extra!!

Greg S
05-05-2003, 10:23 PM
I have my doubts that Pricespy is an
> independent body.

> Pricespy is full of rubbish.

That's a bit hasty - I've had a bit to do with the guy (advertised on his site briefly), and it's only ever been one individual involved.

Greg S
05-05-2003, 10:27 PM
When I priced a new system recently, I picked all the components and pricing from Pricespy, went to my favourite dealer, and asked if he'd meet or beat it all as a package - my dealer agreed.

Mike
05-05-2003, 10:36 PM
> Hi Mike.
>
> I'm a little curious on this one.
>
> If I was buidng a NEW computer tomorow and had worked
> out what CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Vidoeo, Hard disk,
> CDWriter, DVD, Case, Power supply etc I wanted. Would
> you advise that I buy all these parts from separate
> retailers based on price only?

I don't buy from seperate retailers - I almost always buy from one... I find the most competitive prices from pricespy, and then go to my favourite and some other dealers to see if they'll match or better those prices, and buy everything from one place.

Mike.

Elephant
05-05-2003, 10:40 PM
I am a great believer in anyone being able to voice their opinion as you have done.

Your post is simply YOUR opinion.

Now I'm not going to say you are wrong but you could have done some more checking.

I have never dealt with Gamma but have never heard anything against them either. I live about an hours drive from Taupo, Rotorua, Tauranga and Hamilton. To save $20 on a hard disk I'm NOT going to drive to Auckland or Wellington.

To answer your original question I don't think the Pricespy site is a customer ripoff.

I apologise for the "so called racist" remarks made here as there was really no need for it.

It was your idea to make a post in a public forum wasn't it? Your problem if various people just happen to disagree with you.

Chilling_Silently
05-05-2003, 10:44 PM
> I have never dealt with Gamma but have never heard
> anything against them either. I live about an hours
> drive from Taupo, Rotorua, Tauranga and Hamilton. To
> save $20 on a hard disk I'm NOT going to drive to
> Auckland or Wellington.

Most will post though, dont they?

QMB are good, they posted a whole system to me for $4.50!

JamesStewart
05-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Price Spy has work for me heaps of times. I think you got bad luck and won't let it go. ^_^ (they same times leave out GST :|)

Elephant
05-05-2003, 10:48 PM
Yes well....

I just HAD to ask anyway.

Your input appreciated. :-)

I have nothing against QMB either. Just I don't happen to live anywhere near there and I'm not planning on moving.

-=JM=-
05-05-2003, 10:50 PM
Definitely buying from a retailer you know and trust is the best way and they will usually match some prices for you.

But PriceSpy is still great for a comparison on prices.

Elephant
05-05-2003, 10:52 PM
But I LIKE going to Hamilton and check out what's in the store!!!!

Don't take that away from me..... Blub.....

Oh goodness now I need a new keyboard!!!!

:-)

pricespy
06-05-2003, 12:17 AM
The Gamma Computers pricelist comes from here:
http://www.gamma.co.nz/PRICELIST_files/sheet001.htm

It's a price for an upgrade from 128mb to 256mb that I can't deal with (I do try). You can find the price just below here near the bottom of the page
Bundle prices of Item for above systems
15" Philips Monitor $265
17" Philips monitor $299
256MB PC133 SD RAM $40

I think I will just stop scanning the prices for Gamma Computers for a while. I have heard of companies (not Gamma Computers) advertising low prices for generic "low quality" ram and then trying not to sell it when people want to buy it. I don't approve of this... I don't even think that it works because a customer that feels that he/she has been tricked doesn't come back to get tricked again.

Aside from that I don't get paid for PriceSpy - I've run a couple of banner ads but that's it. I do have plans to earn some cash from it but right now it's a hobby.

robo
06-05-2003, 06:27 AM
Interesting.
Thanks for your response, Pricespy.
As a free service, I don't think anyone can really complain (let's face it, complaining never works with the stuff you do pay for).
I don't use the site as often as I should. It's a great way to save a few bucks and that is a lot easier than earning the bucks.
robo.

Iain Walmsley
06-05-2003, 08:04 AM
Well there goes all the fun out of that debate now that someone who knows what they are talking about has spoken ;-(

Iain

cicero
06-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Ha Ha nothing worse than someone who knows to spoil an argument.

roofus
06-05-2003, 08:27 AM
> I apologise for the "so called racist" remarks made
> here as there was really no need for it.
>
i Hope you didn't believe that my post about the Americans/British was racist? For one it can't because i didn;t talk about the colour/race of the person!

cicero
06-05-2003, 08:36 AM
>
>I hope you didn't believe that my post about the Americans/British was >racist? For one it can't because i didn;t talk about the colour/race of the person!
You sir cast aspersions on two races,who if at some point had not intervened would leave you now speaking Japanese.

robo
06-05-2003, 08:46 AM
The big question on my lips is what motivates Mr Pricespy to do it, and does he get anything out of it? Being altruistic is a noble calling but it has a habit of biting one on the rear.
robo.

cicero
06-05-2003, 09:08 AM
As buyers I think we must always be aware,there are endless things out there wanting to bite us on the rear.
Mr bkt has not learned this as yet.

Chilling_Silently
06-05-2003, 10:06 AM
That's a good point, however, people are going to want a good first impression when using something..

For me, RedHat was good with its installer.. mandrake wasnt... same could be said for dealer's, first impressions last, and if Joe Bloggs next door hears we've recommended PriceSpy to a million and one places, then has a bad experience, he'll likely start to doubt me.

In the end, they need to realise it was likely a one-off thing, and they were just he unlucky 'one in a milllion'-th person who had the bad experience.

I hope bk T gives PriceSpy another chance, as it is a great utility I am greatful to have!

bk T
06-05-2003, 11:17 AM
I accept PriceSpy's explanation to my doubts and wish to apologise for being too harsh in my previous posts. If Gamma had explained to me that it's a 'bundled price' yesterday morning, I wouldn't have reacted in such a manner. It's only natural and logical for me to suspect that something 'fishy' is getting on down there. I maybe a little too sensitive over that whole issue. The problem here probably is with Gamma rather than PriceSpy. As such, I therefore wish to withdraw my comments on PriceSpy.

I would also like to thank everyone who has contributed to this discussion. As I have mentioned in my other posts, PressF1 is a great site. Let us all make an effort to keep it that way!

Cheers

robo
06-05-2003, 12:03 PM
It is on my links bar, amongst a select few, but I never remember to go there. It is damn good when you want to save a dollar or two. And I always do.
robo.

godfather
06-05-2003, 01:29 PM
Pricespy saved me $300 recently, so its a valuable site to me.

-=JM=-
06-05-2003, 02:09 PM
Very interesting to hear from pricespy himself.

NathanTheKind
06-05-2003, 04:28 PM
> I don't think PriceSpy is a gimmick or a have.
> Whenever I check prices I always go to the website of
> whatever dealer has what I am interested in to check
> it out. If the dealer's website has their price wrong
> there is still not much you can do about it as most
> have a disclaimer for errors and omissions.
>
> If nothing else PriceSpy is a good place to find
> dealers to buy your parts from and see what the going
> prices are for those parts.

My Thoughts Exactly

Mike
06-05-2003, 05:36 PM
> As such, I therefore wish to withdraw my comments on PriceSpy.

That's great bk T - it's really good to see you're going to give them another go... the world is too full of people who will give up after one bad attempt.

Happy hunting

Mike.

Baldy
06-05-2003, 06:54 PM
> Very interesting to hear from pricespy himself.

Oh was it for real? I thought it was a hoax log-in name lol

cicero
06-05-2003, 08:36 PM
>Oh was it for real? I thought it was a hoax log-in name lol
Don't you worry Baldy,we will tell you when it's a hoax or not;)

Baldy
06-05-2003, 09:55 PM
> >Oh was it for real? I thought it was a hoax log-in
> name lol
> Don't you worry Baldy,we will tell you when it's a
> hoax or not;)

Cool........... I can get a good nights sleep now that I know that.