PDA

View Full Version : self installing app

camcamnz
05-05-2003, 03:42 PM
I Tried to install cakewalk audio pro a while ago, and it didn't work, however, since then the install program has run whenever my computer starts up, i cannot find anything unusual in the startup tab in msconfig, so i cannot find a way to stop this from happening, can anyone help??

wayno
05-05-2003, 04:45 PM
find out what the exetutable name is for the programme, if you are using win 2000 or xp click ctrl + alt + del, right click on the applications window on the application for the program and go to process to find out the executeable name,
if you have an earlier home operating system its a bit more involved to find out the name if you need instructions on that I can give you them as well ,
you can search for it in the registry and delete references to teh offending executable out of there
, there is another location where programmes can load on startup but i cant remember its location.
the other thing is the execuable file may have a name that bears no resemblance to the programme itself thus disguising itself with it's name.
click on start , run, type regedit
hot ctrl + f
type in the executable name and begin searching, delete the entries in the registry that you find

wayno
05-05-2003, 04:49 PM
if you've got something like windows 98 or me and you dont know the name of the offending executable then you will need to get something like process explorer from www.sysinternals.com to find out what the executable is called when it starts up it functions a lot like task manager although with a split screen.

camcamnz
05-05-2003, 05:22 PM
Thanks, I'll Try That Next time i restart my computer

camcamnz
09-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Thanks, But That didnt work, has anyone else have any ideas??

Chilling_Silently
09-05-2003, 07:49 AM
Try downloading Super Rabit Magic Set from superrsoft.com
It has the ability to delete items that do not normally appear in the 'startup; menu or tab.

It may be of use to you :-)

Cheers

Chill.