PDA

View Full Version : midi devices

heni72847
04-05-2003, 07:55 PM
in the midi playback section in the sound and device properties in the control panel

there are few devices you can choose from
eg. Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth

is there a way to add extra device which might make your midi sound more realistic?

Mike
04-05-2003, 07:57 PM
Are you using a real Midi player? (a piece of hardware attached to your computer, such as a synth keyboard or similar), or just the inbuilt midi synth?

Mike.

Bazza
04-05-2003, 10:02 PM
Hi Heni, I wonder what sound card you are using? In midi, the instrument sounds are generated by the soundcard, and their quality depends on the quality of the soundcard.

I had a similar problem some years ago, when my system had only a basic soundcard. At the time I installed the Yamaha SG Soft Synthesizer.
This is software that generates the midi instrument sounds, rather than the soundcard. The the improvement in midi instrument sounds was dramatic. You can check it out, and download it from here:

http://www.yamaha.co.uk/xg/html/midplug/m_mid8.htm

It does cost, but there is a 30 day trial version available.

That is one way to improve midi, but it may be cheaper to get a better soundcard. There are now some excellent quality cards available. I have the SoundBlaster Live soundcard, which I find satisfactory.

Maybe some others here can advise or comment on the midi quality of various soundcards.